Foot pedals for small feet

Hi everyone,

I am new to outrigger paddling. My husband and I purchased a Huki V2X this pas October and have been having a blast on it. We mainly got it just for break from SUP, but have been racing it in the Winter So. Cal series. I am now looking for an OC-1 to paddle on my own. I am a female 5'7" 110 lbs, so I have been looking at lower volume canoes. I have demo'd all of Huki OC1 and felt that they were all too much volume for me. Tried the Pegasus and the Hurricane and really much preferred the Pegasus. Part of the reason I think I liked the Pegasus was I could actually reach the foot pedals with more than my big toes! The foot wells on the Pegasus were much smaller than other canoes. On our V2X I sit in back and do not steer so this is not an issue. Seems a little strange that I discount canoes just based on the footwells, I wear a mens size 6 shoe. Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions, or should I just get a Pegasus because the fit just seems right. Just happens there are way more Hurricanes in Cali right now than Pegasus.

I hopefully will get to try an Osprey this week, any comments on how it compares to the Pegasus.

Thanks, Jill

Submitted by jillv64 on Wed, 12/08/2010 - 6:24am

If I were you, I'd take a serious look at going rudderless. There's a number of V1's out there to try. Really, really think about it.

#1 Wed, 12/08/2010 - 7:13am

2nd hand v1 market is pretty much non-existant in socal, unless you want to drop 4k+ on a new one. Anyone got a used aukahi they want to sell in cali? :) My 42 pound wannabe v1 "surfrigger" is just not cutting it haha

To op, you can put foam blocks in the bottom of the footwells to raise your feet so they touch the pedals.

#2 Wed, 12/08/2010 - 7:54am

i'll let anyone try my aukahi, but not sell it - find me at the santa barbara race - you'll all wish you had the rudderless after finishing the course and weaving through all the kelp up there!

#3 Wed, 12/08/2010 - 8:44am

what is a kelp?

#4 Wed, 12/08/2010 - 8:52am

try paddle through this!

http://www.duke.edu/~jspippen/sierra2007/kelp-bed070708-9081sloz.jpg

#5 Wed, 12/08/2010 - 9:40am

add a few seals, sharks, and whales and thats what we paddle through in san luis obispo

#6 Wed, 12/08/2010 - 9:51am

What? Unbeliveable that there are no low volume Naia Iki canoes there for try? Perfect for your size and especially weight.

My recommendation for a poor man's v-1 is the Horizon "Lagoon" canoe. There must be hundreds stored away somewhere there? This Tahitian influenced genuine outrigger was initially designed to be paddled w/o rudder. So if you find one with a rudder, remove it and go paddle rudderless. Even with its round hull, it tracks pretty straight, but because of its length, it is slow to turn. It is a genuine outrigger because if the ama and iako are removed, the hull will turn upside down. If the hull remains upright, it is not a true outrigger.

#7 Wed, 12/08/2010 - 10:25am

Hey toa moana,
Make sure you go to Savoy Cafe on Figueroa while you are in Santa Barbara! Don't forget to watch out for the tar on the beach after!!

#8 Wed, 12/08/2010 - 12:22pm

Savoy Cafe it is!

Sorry for hi jacking the thread Jill, You should get the boat that fits right for you, regardless of how many of one or the other are in the area

#9 Thu, 12/09/2010 - 10:00am

Jill, glue some hi density foam in the bottom of the Hurricane footwell, just enough to raise your feet so the toes and the balls of your feet can operate the foot pedals. It makes all the difference for small footed people like you and me. You should find the glide of the Hurricane is slightly better than the Peggie, but both are low volume and be competitive. They are completely different in how they handle due to the Ama designs. Paddle into chop, side on to it and with it. If you try both on the same day for an hour you will notice the differences.

I still have my Hurrie and Peggie and enjoy both of them for different reasons.

R

#10 Sun, 12/12/2010 - 1:59pm

I'm 5' 2" and have a first generation Huki V1-X. I've put dense foam pieces in the foot wells because my small feet (size 5 1/2) sit so far down and I prefer to steer with my toes when needed. I have no problems reaching the foot wells just where my itty bitty fit sit within them. Plus I don't find the V1-X to be a big volume canoe, just my size.

Good luck

#11 Tue, 12/14/2010 - 12:32pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.314 seconds.