foot straps

Just curious, sorry if this has been asked/answered, but why do surfskis have an option for footstraps while one man outrigger canoes do not? Does anyone ever just fall off of the boat, where footstraps would have helped?

Submitted by girliegirl on Fri, 06/18/2010 - 6:35pm

I haven't heard of a case of someone falling out from not having foot straps, in fact i've never heard of anyone falling out of a surf ski because they don't have straps.

the foot straps are there so you can pump your legs against the foot brace with more power and control, not to keep you tied in. i think an oc1 with foot straps would be awesome, i've got them on my V1's foot brace.

#1 Sat, 06/19/2010 - 3:12pm

They can be used to get isometric tension creating an anchor point at your feet if your doing a save. (Push with one foot, pull with the other) Much more common in Kayaks. With new designs and bum hugging seats no real need in an OC1. If you want it for drive then that is another issue.

#2 Sat, 06/19/2010 - 4:20pm

At first, the thought of having straps on my OC1 seemed to be a great idea utilizing a little more power and control. It just made sense. Then I started thinking of all the times I've almost huli'd. I saved myself many many times by throwing my legs out of the canoe stopping the all famous huli. I guess if I did decide to apply a strap system to my rig, I would design it to break away some how. Let's see if Keizo designs one and starts winning Molokai's.

#3 Sat, 06/19/2010 - 10:42pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.167 seconds.