Friends Don't Let Friends Use Plastic Paddles!!!!

Please help us eliminate the use of plastic paddles in our local high school paddling programs. Donate your old wood paddles at the State Championships Regatta. Bring your old paddle to the Velzy Tent.
Mahalo,

Velzy

AttachmentSize
FLyer_Fundraiser.pdf137.56 KB

Submitted by VelzyHawaii on Thu, 08/05/2010 - 11:56pm

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/20100806_Hawaiian_seeks_to_keep_dyn...

WOOD IS GOOD, FOR PADDLERS

A "Battle for the Paddle" is being promoted by Velzy Hawaii to help gather used wooden paddles to donate to high school programs.

The Velzy Paddle-Raiser is part of the company's mission to eliminate the use of plastic paddles during instruction and practice, especially in high school programs. The company wants to promote and perpetuate the tradition of wood paddles.

Patrick Dolan, currently in Italy with brother Ryan preparing for the World Kayaking Championships, is a Velzy co-founder along with owner Angie Giancaterino.

New paddles range in cost from $125 to $300. Organizers hope to get at least 75 paddles to donate to high schools such as Castle and Maryknoll, who use plastic paddles to accommodate high numbers of participants.

Donors can bring paddles to the Velzy tent at tomorrow's state championship regatta at Keehi Lagoon, or to the Queen Liliuokalani race Sept. 5. For other drop-off locations, contact Dolan and Giancaterino at VelzyHawaii.com

"It's important to have the right equipment, especially when you're starting out," Dolan said. "There's a certain feel for the water that a real wooden blade gives you which a plastic one does not."

All high schools that receive paddles will also get one-on-one time with USA National Team members and Lanikai Canoe Club standouts.

#1 Fri, 08/06/2010 - 4:02pm

Give paddles to DOE schools. Private schools that charge 15k per can afford to buy paddles.

#2 Mon, 08/09/2010 - 12:19pm

Black,

Velzy Hawaii is trying to raise paddles for DOE schools. We have been trying to contact OIA paddling coaches and athletic directors to see if they need more paddles for their crews. We are lucky to know Stan who coaches Castle High School and we will be donating paddles to the Castle program. Our mission is to get more kids involved in paddling by giving them the proper equipment needed. If any paddlers or coaches could help us with any high school programs they know of that need paddles, please contact us at Velzyhawaii@gmail.com.
I agree that private schools should be able to afford paddles for themselves, but some high school budgets for paddling like Maryknoll's are minimal. The public schools are first priority for our paddle-raiser. So again, please help us with any information about high school programs that need paddles.

Thank you,

Pat

#3 Mon, 08/09/2010 - 8:09pm

Awesome to see leaders giving back to the keiki. I know this program will work. I'm sure many will glady see old paddles put to use. I got an old gillespie in storage somewhere.

#4 Mon, 08/09/2010 - 8:39pm

sweeet, radford highschool definitely needs wooden paddles. the only time the kids will ever see one or touch one is during race day. granted that some kids do have their own. what makes it worse is the plastic paddles are straight blades, none have any angle. thank you velzy for putting this out there. i once posted a wanted ad for old paddles for the same reason. again much mahalo

#5 Mon, 08/09/2010 - 9:40pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.518 seconds.