Fusion Scorpius or Polaris for a Tall Guy

Hi
I am new to OC1 and currently looking at a few Canoes. I have tried the Scorpius and the Polaris so far but saw a fusion on the beach today and noticed how much room it had. I was not able to try it out.
Just wandering if anyone out there could give me there opinion of how the Fusion may compares to the Scorpius or Polaris. I found the Scorpius and Polaris had nice volume for me but a little short for my legs.
I weigh about 240 and I am 6'6" tall.
Thanks

Submitted by Dugman on Fri, 03/26/2010 - 3:18pm

It depends a bit on where you paddle.

I started on a Fusion and liked it.

#1 Fri, 03/26/2010 - 10:50pm

I think any of those boats have the volume for a big fella, you just have to try and see which one feels best for you. They're all comfortable and well made.

#2 Sat, 03/27/2010 - 5:35am

I plan to do some down winders on the North Shore of Maui but will be takeing it out at the harbor and Kanaha for work outs. I heard that all these canoes are great in surf. Just was wondering if there was much of a difference in flatter water and all around handling, or would I even notice being new?

#3 Sat, 03/27/2010 - 6:50am

Might want to try the Ma'a afi, great leg room good glide will handle the weight with no problem. Call Papu 937-0396.

#4 Sat, 03/27/2010 - 11:16am

Dug, try Tiger Canoe's Pahoa, size (9)--- I am 6'4" 212 and the boat is the most comfortable I have paddled among all those listed. www.tigercanoe.com.

#5 Mon, 03/29/2010 - 2:56pm

Dugman, I am 6'7 and 235 and the Fusion is the only boat that fits me properly. A Zephyr may also be an option, though I haven't tried one. The Pahoa isn't big enough for your height and weight, I've tried it in all conditions, I also found the Scorpius and Polaris to be short. I used to paddle a Makia comfortably, but it is a flat water boat.

Hope that helps!

#6 Mon, 03/29/2010 - 6:57pm

Thanks for all the input. I forgot to mention that I have also tried the Pahoa. It was comfortable and had a nice feel to it but did not have the glide and seemed harder to catch waves than the Polaris that I also tried on the same day and conditions. It seemed I was just a little too heavy for the Pahoa. I will see if I can try out a Fusion soon and maybe a Zephyr and Ma'a Afi.
Thanks again

#7 Tue, 03/30/2010 - 6:18am

Inseam length can be a factor for you. See how far the seat goes back on diff canoes or order custom foam from OC. Some may also suggest the Pueo Ama for added speed.....

#8 Tue, 03/30/2010 - 10:02am

bruddah...gotta go with the Scorp!! nuff said.

JawsOut.

#9 Tue, 03/30/2010 - 1:36pm

Vantage Full Throttle. Great in the Surf for those maliko runs right out your back door.

#10 Mon, 04/05/2010 - 9:35am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.352 seconds.