Gator

Anybody have any information on the Gator (Outrigger Connection)? I am thinking of buying a used Gator for California waters. I have found information that it's a good flat water boat. Any advice?

Submitted by hkboi on Tue, 05/18/2010 - 9:40am

Not very many were made. Could be hard to come by.

#1 Tue, 05/18/2010 - 9:50am

I'm actually talking to a guy that's selling a Gator. I'm trying to get some more information before I make a decision on purchasing the canoe. Never even heard of the Gator until I saw his ad.

#2 Tue, 05/18/2010 - 9:57am

As I understand it, the Gator came out around '98/'99. It was a good SoCal (flat water) canoe and various OC team riders came and won the Catlaina Crossing a few years in a row on it. I'm pretty sure Tim at Canoe Sports manufactured and handled them here locally in SoCal. A few years ago a local club ran time trials on the bay on borrowed canoes in an attempt to level out the playing field. If I remember correctly, it seemed the Gator held its own through the various heats against the other hulls (primarily Stingrays & Hurricanes).

#3 Tue, 05/18/2010 - 10:45am

I believe Gator was a flat water version of the Viper and Karel Jr. did win Catalina back in the days paddling Gator.

If you are just starting paddling and paddling for recreation gator should be fine. How much is it being sold for?

#4 Tue, 05/18/2010 - 10:47am

Good for you, hkboi. Like the others have said it's a fine flat water boat for and w/ the Karel quality it's probably still in great shape. Should suit you well for most uses, 'til you turn into a crazed competitor and move up to one the newer models.

#5 Tue, 05/18/2010 - 1:20pm

Karel snr came to Hamilton Island (australia)  many years ago with a Black 2 piece Gator that was bolted together for Jnr to race.

#6 Tue, 05/18/2010 - 4:36pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.797 seconds.