Gel coat vs painting hull

I bought a used fiberglass oc1 with a lot patch repairs that are cosmetically bad. I want to sand it down and check the integrity of the repairs and paint or re-gel coat the whole boat. I've been reading that there are marine paints that are just as durable as gel coat. I will be using an air gun.

If there are good paints that I can shoot in the back yard, can anyone recommend the brand.

If I need to use gel coat, I'm lost. Can I shoot gel coat from an air gun (portable 10 gal compressor)? What are problems I can expect. I've just read it's a PITA.

Can I gel coat the hull and paint the deck?

Submitted by fire4effect on Thu, 12/16/2010 - 1:23pm

two part linear polyurethane. Gel coat needs to be sanded and primed (awlgrip). Usually sprayed but flows real nice and some guys get away with using a brush.....minimal weight added....will wax and buff nicely....UV resistant. Check out West Marine.

#1 Thu, 12/16/2010 - 4:37pm

Dura guard paint would look fine.

#2 Thu, 12/16/2010 - 10:43pm

Went to a fiberglass warehouse store and they strongly suggested the "two part linear polyurethane" paint. I'm inclined to go with their opinion because they sell a ton of gel coat and no paint =). It will be a while before I get to that stage; it's raining like crazy in SoCal, so no chance to work on it.

#3 Wed, 12/22/2010 - 6:02am

fire ... call / email me if you want.

I'll go over everything with you on the phone if you want .. too much to type : 0

aloha,
pog

#4 Wed, 12/22/2010 - 9:43am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.172 seconds.