Got V3?

Aloha everyone

What if a certain canoe builder decided to build a 3-man polynesian style (V3)?

Is there anyone out there that wants to lose there mind having fun in this 3-man?

If you are reading this thinking "yes please" and you have a couple grand to lose, then please reply to this post with your pre-orders.

details will ensue shortly

PLEASE do not take this as a joke ok...just ask yourself who will be having the last laugh in the Pailolo after a 2 hour sleigh ride in a 35 foot, 60 lb, 3-man that surfs like it was stolen. Just Imagine how you'll go delirious with joy.

Mahalo

Submitted by gauchopaddler on Wed, 08/11/2010 - 4:27pm

When its done then show us.

#1 Wed, 08/11/2010 - 4:38pm

No onno. Pay, then I'll show you. I've got one too.

#2 Wed, 08/11/2010 - 5:54pm

Onno I'm sorry but in this case I don't think you want it enough.

#3 Wed, 08/11/2010 - 7:20pm

Oh yeah..

#4 Wed, 08/11/2010 - 9:12pm

OCP mafia is all over this post

#5 Wed, 08/11/2010 - 9:17pm

Awesome idea! Been thinking heaps about a light V3, but unfortunetly i´am on the other side of the globe! :-/

#6 Wed, 08/11/2010 - 11:48pm

Gaucho did u really just call out the mafia... Not wise my friend. Not wise at all ;)

#7 Wed, 08/11/2010 - 11:48pm

LOL,
o.k. Gaucho....

I've got one in my imagination as well. Maybe we can collaborate.

I accept Visa / MC, cash or monopoly money.

I will begin to R&D it on your dime and not show my half 'till its done.

Anyone else, best to get in early on this. ; ) ;) cha ching.

aloha,
pog

#8 Thu, 08/12/2010 - 8:03am

Great idea I'd be in for sure but am in Oz.
But more importantly I thought the first rule of ............... Was never to mention it.

#9 Thu, 08/12/2010 - 10:55am

allright ...

Now that Gaucho has filled in his profile . It seems like this boat could be real.

aloha,
pog

#10 Thu, 08/12/2010 - 12:10pm

Already got one.

etene2

etene1

Just waiting for the OCPmafia stickers to put on it...

I will admit it is pretty fun though.

#11 Thu, 08/12/2010 - 12:24pm

I told Kaimanu guys last year that I would buy a 3 man if they made it. I got the impression it would cost about $8k. Is that what you project it to cost?

Would it surf better than a open design 40 ft 6man?

We need a better way to transport boats from island to island, any ideas?

#12 Thu, 08/12/2010 - 12:26pm

O.K. Got it now ...

Apologies for reading this (OP ) one wrong and interjecting too much sarcasm.

Good on you guys ...

aloha,
pog

#13 Thu, 08/12/2010 - 1:27pm

PM me your contact info and I'll make sure some mafia stickers get to you. I know a guy who knows a guy.

#14 Thu, 08/12/2010 - 5:23pm

Not a cockpit OC3 like in the pictures (what a sweet ride that must be...); but Jim Finch here on Guam built a V4 lathe boat, open hull that works great with either 3 or 4 in it. I love to steer and surf that boat; it's a little twitchy when rigged for all out speed but if your paddlers are centered and know what they are doin it will FLY downswell and down wind; +13mph on runners coming home He got the plans online and made it himself.

Bill Murray (Sabre Marine in Townsville, Aus) makes a beautiful V4 (with or without a rudder!) that also surfs super. It is like a scaled down Sabre OC6. If all 4 are paddling w/out having to poke to steer, it too will streak!

I just think it's cool that there are so many more ways to play in the ocean now, all rooted in what we love to do so much. My new va'a just got here today so the Fuze goes on the shelf for a while till I get better at that discipline (or lack thereof...)!

#15 Thu, 08/12/2010 - 5:32pm

I don't know.....it seems like a 4 man is a lot more balanced .. Why would anyone want a OC3 versus an OC 4......cost ??? If its light and catches waves....easy to get that fourth guy on board.

#16 Fri, 08/13/2010 - 7:45pm

This makes sense to me.
OC4 seem more likely to surf on the rough side than glide on the open ocean. (I could be wrong, it's just my feeling, just let me know yours !)
Va'a shape is therefore more convenient if you enjoy a trip with your friends on the ocean or on big lakes.
So, a va'a that could take 3 or 4 paddlers might be a great asset to a club.
We all know that issue in our sport : you plan a 6 paddlers session, and some are missing for any "good reason" or friends are passing by and everybody is already there !
You then may like being able to please everybody from 3 to 10 !

#17 Sat, 08/14/2010 - 1:19am

HO! healthyearth any chance you still might be interested?

As to the 4 man shoots why not? I think it might be a little easier to design a 3 man and at a lower cost but 4 shouldn't be much worse. I like the sound of the Sabre thing in Australia. Should probably take a look at that before doing too much, wouldn't want to get ahead of myself here. Unfortunately I don't like the idea of a rudder on a canoe with more than two people. I want a steersman with a steers blade doing the work in seat 3...or 4. Maybe to make this untraditional canoe more traditional?

I agree tremendously with Fabrice that a V3 would be a useful training asset to any club. Convenient not only in size and weight but also if you only have 2 paddlers extra they should be able to achieve a solid glide. In fact I have already been approached by clubs seeking this canoe for that very purpose.

nb1376 - nice 3 man. I have seen this one in person hiding around the NAC facility. Spencer told me the story about this canoe recently. Hopefully I'll get a chance to paddle it when I go back to Cali.

My intention for this post was sort of an advertisement but really an act of desperation. Currently I have all the tools, knowledge, and (skilled) willing workers around me that are needed for this task. One pre-order would have been the green light.

#18 Sat, 08/14/2010 - 11:08pm

how much would it be??? didnt read the whole thread to see if you posted a price.

#19 Sun, 08/15/2010 - 11:09am

Gaucho,

Serious question ... Are you looking for production work for your shop ?

Lemme know here or email.

mahalo,
pog

#20 Mon, 08/16/2010 - 12:49pm

Gaucho,

Not now, maybe a later date. I have been busier than I had expected to be and I rarely get to use any of my boats. Plus I am running out of storage options.

#21 Mon, 08/16/2010 - 1:17pm

We make polynesian V3 canoes.
email us @ iatovaatahiti@gmail.com for info.

check us out @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Taravao-French-Polynesia/Fai-Vaa/113464402...

#22 Fri, 08/27/2010 - 3:33pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.210 seconds.