GPS and heartrate monitor for OC1

I am looking for advice on a GPS heartrate monitor to use for tracking my workout on my one man. I've noticed a few out there that people use. I recently saw this great deal online at http://www.wearable-gps.com/ for $135

http://bit.ly/garmin-305

Any recommendation stories on this garmin 305?

Mahalo!
Buli

AttachmentSize
51lHg9ZcN7L._SL500_.jpg43.01 KB

Submitted by HuliBuli on Mon, 05/17/2010 - 11:46pm

That's what I use and I really like it. They're $148 on Amazon with free shipping and were just on sale for $125.

#1 Tue, 05/18/2010 - 4:10am

I've had several of the Garmin units and they have all been pretty good. The 310XT is the latest version of this. Has better GPS reception and some more functionality but is more pricey.

There's also the 405CX (http://www.garmintracking.com/product/Garmin-Forerunner-405CX-GPS-Sport-...) which has a smaller screen but has the benefit of having a better heart rate calculation method - which is where Garmin always failed vs. Polar in the past. Although the unit is small, I find it OK to see the screen when you use a bike mount and just sit it on the front iako.

You can download to mac/pc via the BlueAnt peripheral that comes with it and (if you're on a mac) iSmarTrain is great software for tracking speed vs. HR zones, etc - or you can just do this via Garmin Connect, but you have to be online.

#2 Tue, 05/18/2010 - 12:53pm

I have one of the Garmin 305 and have found it to be really good for tracking my trainings against heart rate etc. The Garmin Connect website is really good for sharing workouts with your W6 crew too.

One point of note though, i've had 3 Garmin 301's and i'm on my 2nd Garmin 305. They can be really tempremental with cables, connections and sea water. You need to be pretty good at remembering to rinse them with fresh water!

#3 Sat, 05/22/2010 - 9:22pm

I had a Garmin 301. Its usb plug corroded. I contacted customer's service, and they exchanged the device, no questions asked.
Since I bought 2 garmin 305, one for me and one for the Miss. I updated gps software on one of them... it's not working anymore. I tried to contact customer's service by sending 3 email for the last 2 weeks... no answer yet.

#5 Sun, 05/23/2010 - 5:30pm

How are you guys mounting this? Or are you just wearing it and reviewing later?

#6 Fri, 06/04/2010 - 5:07pm

Had an answer : they suggest me to do just what I wrote them I had already done... (reset the unit and reinstall software). Can't they read messages before they answer ? What does "customer's service" mean to them ?

#7 Sat, 06/05/2010 - 12:59am

I bought the 305 when they first came out. I used it for running almost every day. It has worked great. I have used it all over the world to help me map out early morning runs. I took it in the pool every once in a while without a problem. My second time out with it in my OC-1 it filled with water and was ruined. I now have a 310 and have used it without problems. I an not sure why my 305 failed. I have friends who use them in OC-1 w/o trouble. Mine was 3 years old and the seals may have broken down.

The Garmins are fun. A few months ago I went around BS island alone. On the far side I got caught in some funny waves which almost drove me into the island. When I reviewed the run on google maps it shows my HR in the 130s up to the island. On the back side of the island (when I was in trouble) my rate goes into the 180s. Back down again when Ihead back. Over all I highly recomend the 305 for running. The 310 may be a better choice for the sea.

#8 Sat, 06/05/2010 - 7:36am

BS Island also known as Mokolea. 180, wow, you were doing work there!

#9 Sat, 06/05/2010 - 9:15am

I think it was a combo of working hard and being scared sh** less.

#10 Sat, 06/05/2010 - 1:38pm

@Black. If you get the bike mount, you can mount any of the wrist-based units on the front Iako of your one-man so you can see your speed & HR as you paddle.

#11 Sat, 06/05/2010 - 11:42pm

thanks for the feedback on the 305. I also did search on www.wearable-gps.com and found found the latest waterproof gps from garmin that you guys mentioned:

http://bit.ly/garmin-310xt

However, I decided to pick up a the 305 instead due to budget. I have really enjoyed tracking my runs and observing my heartrate. Was just wondering what other free programs that are out there. Would love just to get the raw data and do some plots myself and compare the results of similar runs.

#12 Mon, 07/19/2010 - 10:30pm

i had a Forerunner 305, it died for some reason and wouldn't start again - i had 5 good years out of it and used it mainly on my Surfski and V1 as a training guide/tool. It was excellent although i found the Heart rate montior slower to pick up your HR like other model watches.

I decided to buy the Garmin 310XT minus the HR Monitor (makes it cheaper) and have found this better to pgm and upload compared to the 305. The 310XT is also waterproof compared to the 305 which wasn't and lots of people had issues with this. The 310XT has longer battery life too.

I upload all my work outs to Garmin Connect and then send on to training partners or download the course details to Google Earth which is great if you want to follow your race course ove a long distance.

#13 Tue, 07/20/2010 - 12:03am

I use a Garmin Forerunner 305 and I never had a single problem. There may be better devices but it's ok for me.

#14 Fri, 07/30/2010 - 6:12am

I use the Garmin 310XT and I've been pretty happy with it. My only gripe is that I seem to lose heart rate reception when I'm paddling - doesn't seem to be an issue when I'm biking, hiking, climbing etc ... Odd no? Anyone else encounter this?

Keep an eye out for the rebates - they often have $50 off rebates for Garmin GPS units. It's like getting a HR monitor for free.

Also the 405cx probably isn't the best unit for paddling. The bevel touch screen controls don't work when wet.

Garmin connect is great and pretty easy to use once you download / upgrade all the software. I also hear Sportstracks was pretty good for even more analysis (though I've never used it ...)

#15 Tue, 09/14/2010 - 8:31pm

I recently got the 310XT, and it was unreal.... until it crapped itself, and like Hiro C found, getting through to Garmin Support in Australia was/is imposeible. Lucky the shop where I brought it from are very helpful and are organising an replacement.

As for mounting, I strapped it to where I lash my iato to the hull (for a va'a) and it fits sweet as.

#16 Wed, 09/15/2010 - 12:20am

I have had the 205 and 305. Both didn't survive the ocean. The 310 is the bomb. Works great, durable and water proof. The interval set up is very cool as well. The heart rate problems seem to be with the strap itself. The battery gets wet way to easy and then is worthless. I have gone thru too many of those to count so I quit using them in the water. I mount the 310 with velcro straps and a small leash in between the pedals and have never had an issue. Invaluable training tool. Way worth the money spent.

#17 Wed, 09/15/2010 - 2:43pm

For data analysis I prefer SportTracks over Garmin connect.
http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

#18 Thu, 09/16/2010 - 10:02am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.212 seconds.