Hawaiki Nui Va´a 2010

Isnt there anybody out there with an update on the first part Huahine-Raiatea??????

Submitted by Kotahitanga on Mon, 11/08/2010 - 9:04am

i'm not sure they raced yet...

from the pics on the web site it looks like it was a travel day.

edit: from the online schedule

Nov 10 - 1st leg plus women and juniors race
Nov 11 - 2nd leg
Nov 12 - 3rd leg

#1 Mon, 11/08/2010 - 10:18am

Kotahitanga, go to http://www.hawaikinuivaa.pf/ then to the Programme button. The entire schedule is there. The rest is all French. 1st leg of the race starts at 7:30 am. on Wed the 10th and goes from Huahine to Raiatea 27 miles or 44 km's. Marara

#2 Mon, 11/08/2010 - 11:12am

Shure is...thanks guys!

#3 Mon, 11/08/2010 - 11:26am

24 hrs to go....

#4 Tue, 11/09/2010 - 7:14am

Yes!!! And good luck Hiro!
Th. ;-)

#5 Tue, 11/09/2010 - 7:44am

you can select to view the site in english, however the PDF of the schedule (programme)is still in french.

#6 Tue, 11/09/2010 - 8:46am

Aloha from the Official booth at Huahine. They let me in to use the internet :) They have a camera set up with a live feed at www.hawaikinuivaa.pf I will be post lil bits from OPT if there is internet along the way. I'm on their first crews support boat. if i'm able to get it up you will find it at www.youtube.com/timlara and pics at facebook.com/tslara again internet connection pending. if no internet over the next few days it will go up after the races are over on friday from Bora Bora

If you want to learn to surf while visiting Maui Hawaii, Hawaiian Paddle Sports offers private Surf lessons at some of maui's best surfing breaks. Also offering Outrigger Canoe Tours, Ocean Kayak tours, Stand Up Paddle board tours and lessons. Get up and go surfing today! http://HawaiianPaddleSports.com/surf-lessons

#7 Tue, 11/20/2012 - 10:20pm

I am here at the Shell Va'a camp with great Wifi. Beat that Mauitim!

#8 Tue, 11/09/2010 - 4:54pm

live radio

http://polynesie.rfo.fr/radio

can't understand a word. we need a translator. i just heard OPT, Shell, va'a, hoe, and Manutea Owen in there somewhere.

update from the Hawaiki Nui Facebook page.

35 minutes into the race
1st OPT
2nd Shell
3rd Paddling Connection

#9 Wed, 11/10/2010 - 8:20am

Anyone able to watch any of the live feed? It's not showing anything for me

#10 Wed, 11/10/2010 - 8:20am

After 1h race : Team OPT - Shell Va'a - Team Hawaii - EDT va'a (cap faaroa)

#11 Wed, 11/10/2010 - 8:46am

Charles Villierme look like Team OPT and Shell have smell the danger of Matairea, they have forced their stroke pace
9 minutes ago · Like · Comment

Charles Villierme seems like Matairea from Huahine might make a hold up on the first place by surfing straight toward Te Ava piti
12 minutes ago · Like · Comment

from what i think i could hear on RFO Matairea is right in there now. anyone speak french out there?

listen here http://polynesie.rfo.fr/radio

#12 Wed, 11/10/2010 - 9:09am

about 2k's in between Team OPT(pac leading) and Shell Va'a - Paddling Connection - EDT -Team Hawaii - Shell 2 - Moua Tamaiti no Papara - Farerua (Bora) - Maupiti - Arue -OPT2 - EDT2 - Marquise - Air Tahiti - Matatia - Fetuna sorry for the rest of the 100 va'a pac

#13 Wed, 11/10/2010 - 9:17am

Thank you guys for the updates!!!

#14 Wed, 11/10/2010 - 10:20am

Looks like Team Hawaii is in the 5th place for todays race. Any confirmation or stories would be a good read.

#15 Wed, 11/10/2010 - 1:14pm

Good job Team Hawaii! I think that's the best stage finish by a foreign crew since Kai dem came in 2nd (?) years ago (2002?).

#16 Wed, 11/10/2010 - 4:12pm

Results posted here, http://www.hawaikinuivaa.pf/classement-2010.html

#17 Wed, 11/10/2010 - 4:54pm

Happy to say, We have makana down there filming for Ocean Paddler TV. I am sure he will bring us all kinds of great stuff! Go Hawaii

#18 Wed, 11/10/2010 - 5:20pm

Results for today: Go to Hawaiki Nui Website and click on "Classement 2010"

Team Hawaii is up there, 6th at the moment....great showing!

#19 Thu, 11/11/2010 - 3:38pm

first day ,1er SHELL new record,2 paddling conection,optA,edtA,team HAWAII.
second day.1er OPTA,SHELL A,paddling,shellB,EDT A............14 team hawaii

#20 Thu, 11/11/2010 - 3:40pm

Does anyone know why Matairea were dq'ed?
They finished 3 rd today but werent counted the boys must be pissed off about something.

#21 Thu, 11/11/2010 - 5:21pm

first and second days they were not listed in the results...hmmm

#22 Thu, 11/11/2010 - 9:03pm

Matairea got disqualified! Misconduct they say..... :-(

#23 Thu, 11/11/2010 - 10:57pm

I smell a rat!

#24 Thu, 11/11/2010 - 11:31pm

I think they had a paddler currently under suspension, Maitai Danielson, paddling in their team... at least thats what I could make out with my bad French...
Its a real pity though, because they were doing very well..

#25 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 9:18am

RFO radio live: Right now Team Hawaii 9th, shell 1st, shell b 2nd, opt 3rd. right now converging on the reef at Bora Bora... still a long way to go... Sounds like Team Kamanu is not far behind Team Hawaii.... Marara

#26 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 9:31am

What a shame! Maitai is Matairea´s Fahoro/Stroker. Amazing paddler!

#27 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 9:36am

Matairea shows up on the manifest as having finished two legs so far.

68 324B matairea hoe from Huahine (90 points day 1) 04:13:51 (53points day 2) 02:09:32 ( thus a 143 total points so far) @ 06:23:23

Dont see any penaltys listed so far.

#28 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 9:53am

Matairea is mentioned on all the broadcasts and updates i've seen as being right in the mix with the lead pack. Both days they were in mentioned the top ten but are not shown in the results... DQ'd?

#29 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 10:04am

As far as i know they are, at least thats what Charles Villierme posted on FB yesterday! Misconduct.....

#30 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 10:11am

Unless they are just doing the race anyway.... but it definitely says they were DQ'ed after the first stage...

#31 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 10:28am

Just in via RFO live . Matairea Hoe 5 place Team Hawaii 7th and Paddling Connection 1st. Still a battle for the finish.

#32 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 10:39am

Looks like a finish: 1.paddling connection, 2, OPT, 3. Shell, 4. Hawaii? I thought I heard Hawaii as 4th. The battle was close and intense at the end...wish I could have seen it. Lets see how the points fall into place.

#33 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 11:24am

I think its 1. OPT 2. Paddling 3. Shell 4. Hawaii

#34 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 11:42am

They speak to fast over there at RFO. I need to paddle like they talk...LOL

#35 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 11:45am

Have just spoken to a mate on Huahine, Matairea were dq'ed because one of their pddlers wasnt given approval to paddle in the race due to an ongoing dispute with the Federation, (so cant go into details) they paddled anyway just for the sheer joy of taking on the worlds best and finished 8th. 3rd and 5th, Thats a fantastic result for a small unfunded club crew, Jean Luc Eychene paddled days 2 and 3 and he is well into his 40's (sorry mate) inspirational stuff.
Apparently today they had a great battle with team Hawaii who managed to finish just ahead of them.
Team Hawaii must be stoked with their result, great to see,no doubt they will have learnt a lot from this race and hopefully be back next year.

#36 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 2:53pm

Day 1: Shell lead for the first 45 min-1 hr when OPT battled their way up to over take Paddling Connection and then Shell. As OPT increased their gap, shell faded high and OPT kept their line. Most crews faded and followed Shell. OPT was much stronger and faster but their coach made a bad call on the course and it cost them in the end as we came to Raiatea to low and had to paddle up the reef to get into the lagoon, while watching Shell and P. Connection come surfing straight into the pass. 1 Shell 2 P. Connection 3 OPT 4 EDT 5 Hawaii

Day 2: Again Shell had a considerable lead as the came towards Tahaa, but OPT slowly caught up. At about 1- 1 /2 hr into the race the began battling back and forth along the shore line. After 10 minutes OPT overtook them for the last time and steadily widened the gap. 1 OPT 2 Shell ..... Team Hawaii was battling with Shell B and others in about 4-6th place when Thibert dehydrated and had to jump out of the canoe. Team Hawaii finish 14 or so with only 5 paddlers!!!!!!! Pretty Mean!

...... shit internet card out of time...day three coming later... pics at www.facebook.com/tslara

#37 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 5:17pm

Iaorana mauitim,

Mauruuru Roa for the comments & photos on Facebook!!!

After Gerard Teiva resigned and the legendary Jimmy Pirato was appointed as the new Shell coach, I honestly thought that Shell Va'a would be the winner this year, specially after an impressive win at the Molokai Hoe and beating the record on the 1st leg of the Hawaiki Nui Va'a.

Even tough Steve Teihotata is the current top V1 paddler in Tahiti and all the other OPT paddlers are also top 10-20, I've always felt that Shell had "on paper" a stronger team.

Even tough you were following OPT, what were the comments/thoughts/impressions from Shell Va'a?
Aloha

#38 Fri, 11/12/2010 - 10:58pm

Aloha,
Now that I have internet again i've uploaded a few quick clips from day one and two: www.youtube.com/timlara
I've also upload the pics from day 3 at www.facebook.com/tslara

Day three was by far the most exciting to watch from the front of the pack. Shell had a pretty big lead coming out of the pass. They headed straight out and start surfing while OPT followed a little closer to the reef. Once OPT headed out to sea the quickly caught up to Shell and passed them. I believe Team Hawaii's line was headed more directly towards Bora Bora after coming out of the pass. After OPT passed Shell they faded back and started their approach to Bora Bora. OPT kept their eyes on Shell, not wanting a repeat of the first day and began their approach as well. As we came closer to Bora we could see a huge pack of support/spectator boats along the reef, at first we were told it was Team Hawaii but as we got closer we found out it was actually Paddling Connection. When OPT found that out they surfed down to cut them off. Paddling Connection caught up to, and even passed OPT. They battled back and forth all the way to opening in the pass, where P. Connection, having the inside, turned first and added 3 canoe lengths to their lead. This was the biggest lead they had all race. The whole time OPT and P Connection were battling outside the reef, Shell was making a move and coming up quickly on them both. Inside the lagoon and protected from the wind by a motu, Shell came within a canoe and half of OPT who was only about the same distance behind Paddling Connection. Shell broke early to cross to Bora from the motu and this proved to be fatal mistake as they dropped back to not have a chance. A few minutes later OPT caught up to paddling connection and passed them while they were shooting from the motu to Bora. OPT held their position for the win.

To answer "feirulegui" questions on my impressions of Shell: They are obviously very talented paddlers, however the OPT guys seem to be much faster in the surf. Each day Shell started with a lead but once in the surf OPT tracked them down and passed them. I also noticed that when they passed them, the seemed to shut down. They tried to respond which only made them drop further off. I think there is something to be said the mental component of racing. Once Shell backs away and gets back to "their race" they seem to start making ground again, as they did on day three and (possibly) day one. As far as the individual paddlers there is a noticeable difference. The Shell guys are all pretty ripped and tall which isn't the case with the OPT guys. I'm not saying the OPT guys aren't fit and in good shape (they obviously are) they just don't look like they lift weights, or paddling as nutz as they do. It just shows once again, you don't have to be a big guy to move a canoe.

#39 Tue, 11/16/2010 - 10:36am

Hey Tim
Very interesting observations! Totally agree! Even more interesting if you look at Matairea Hoe, those guys are lean, allmost skinny compare to Shell but they are fast indeed! And as far as i know Jean-Luc is pretty much 47!? ( The only non Tahitian ever who won the Super Aito , correct if i´am wrong here). Very impressive.
And totally i agree its certainly not allways strenght and muscles who do the race!
Ka kite

#40 Sun, 11/14/2010 - 6:55am

Wow...thanks (or should I say mauruuruu) for the observations Maui Tim.

#41 Sun, 11/14/2010 - 12:49pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.247 seconds.