Help! I need to make a quick iako rigging

Help....I lost the screw attachment that locks the iako to the (front of the) ama on my Zephyr. So now I just have a big hole up there with no way to keep the iako in unless I duct tape it on. Can anybody let me know how I can quick rig it (with or without using duct tape). Or maybe a better alternative. I'm on vacation in a small town with no paddle/canoe or outrigger stores close by. they do have a Walmart though. I have about a week here with plenty of good water to paddle in....so I'm thinking about heading to a hardware store in the morning and might have to make something. Any help would be great....pictures of what you did would be even better.

Mahalo,

Sloughcanoe!!

Submitted by Sloughcanoe on Tue, 08/31/2010 - 7:04pm

bike inner tube. won't leave the residue of duct tape and holds everything SNUG.

#1 Tue, 08/31/2010 - 7:21pm

serious now, so you lost the push button on the iako that pops into the ama? or did you loose the screw that is attached to the canoe? if its just the screw im sure you can find something at the hardward store. the push button im not so sure how you could rig that

#2 Tue, 08/31/2010 - 9:21pm

GO - TO - Hardware store ...

Buy the same thread bolt ... might even get lucky and find one with a finger tighten top ... If its not stainless, don't leave it in there for weeks.

If the molded in 'nut' is missing or stripped, go next size up. Tap new threads if need to.

Can't find a spring button ?... Just get the bolt that fits and screw it in ... If you want to back it up, use a wingnut inside the iako ... You will be able to tighten it AND still get it backout.

No threaded anything ? Use metal rod, bent 90 degrees and THEN taped, after that look for anything plastic that you can whittle down, after that pull off a green wood stick.

aloha,
pog

#3 Tue, 08/31/2010 - 10:25pm

If it's the thumbscrew on the hull side, you need to get a stainless steel 1/4-28 x 1-1/4 Hex Cap Screw. Take the thumbscrew for the back iako out of the hull with you to the Hardware store to make sure you get the right thread as it is Fine (NF 1/4-28) not the Coarse (NC 1/4-20).

If you don't want to use a wrench/pliers to tighten it and want something to grip with your fingers, then buy some 5 or 30 minute epoxy to make a makeshift knob.

Find a plastic cap from a 20 oz soda bottle or any other plastic bottle.
Mix some epoxy enough to fill the bottom half of the cap and let it set.
Mix some more epoxy to fill the rest of the cap and put the head of the screw (centered) into the epoxy and let that set.
Now you have a screw that has a plastic knob you can hand tighten/loosen with your thumb and fingers.

If you are missing the spring button pin for the front iako (ama side), you could check the two piece aluminum/plastic recreational kayak paddles at Wal-Mart to see if it has a spring button pin in the middle. I borrowed the spring button pin from one of my two piece kayak paddles when someone was missing one for their iako.

#4 Wed, 09/01/2010 - 2:43am

Thanks everybody for the help. New spring button in place.

#5 Wed, 09/01/2010 - 1:55pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.180 seconds.