High School Paddling

Does anyone know this years high school race schedules or a link to them?

Mahalo

Submitted by dlee on Mon, 11/15/2010 - 9:10am

The ILH schedule is up at those schools' websites

http://www.lejardinacademy.org/page.cfm?p=475&teamID=13&event=184

#1 Mon, 11/15/2010 - 10:17am

Mahalo for the info Novice B 08, however, I was just wondering if an ILH paddler would be violating the ILH Outside Participation Rule if they also participated in any of the PAA, Kanaka Ikaika, Na Opio, Neighbor Island or various club fund raiser races? I'm assuming that paddling a 6-man for any club, other than their school, would be a violation? But, how about individually paddling a surfski, oc-1 or v-1 on their own? Would their school be penalized if they did an outside race in those solo boats? Perhaps a paddling ILH pricipal or coach could clarify this?

#2 Mon, 11/15/2010 - 12:24pm

i dont think they would be penalized unless they recieved money. dolans, rooney, kaho'okele, chong and others are all ilh paddlers and i know they have all raced outside ilh.they can race 6 man as well. i think that racing in an event that has a monitary prize would affect their highschool racing status. let me know if you find out the rules.

#3 Mon, 11/15/2010 - 3:10pm

I believe that the HHSAA rule is that you can do any outside races as long as you aren't competing with your H.S. crew or representing your school in a race.

Do a search on this subject on this site. I posted the rule right after discussing it at an AD's meeting.

#4 Mon, 11/15/2010 - 5:29pm

I got this from the ILH Athletic Handbook

In-Season Outside Participation: Participants in a team sport are not allowed to
participate in bonafide leagues in the same sport during their ILH sport season, beginning
with the ILH starting date of that sport. However, they are allowed to participate in skills
clinics and receive one-on-one training with same sport coaches during their respective ILH
sport season. Individuals may return to full outside participation at the conclusion of their
respective ILH season. The team sports are:
1. Baseball
2. Basketball
3. Canoe Paddling
4. Softball
5. Volleyball
6. Soccer
7. Water Polo

(ILH By-Laws, Sec. 1.5, D.)

#5 Mon, 11/15/2010 - 9:10pm

Aloha all, A note in quotes below from Blane Gaison, AD in charge of ILH Canoe Paddling...

"To make it easy for everyone, the "outside participation" rule pertains to races/competition in a 6-man canoe. There is to be NO participation in 6-man canoe races once the season has started. Anyone participating in a 6-man race outside of the ILH will be in violation of our rule. The penalty will the forfeiture of any ILH race they participated in and the individual paddler(s) will be disqualified from ILH competition. Participation in races with Kanaka Ikaika and Pa'a where they are using one-man or two-man canoes, stand-up paddles, and paddleboards are permissible. Hope that clarifies things."

#6 Thu, 11/18/2010 - 11:34am

thanks bluewater for the info

with that cleared up, does anyone know the OIA schedule? I heard that they are doing a few distance races this year, not just regatta style during their season.

also who are the favorite schools this year?

magic island has a ton of activity lately, some of these kids look pretty strong out there.

#7 Thu, 11/18/2010 - 12:31pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.374 seconds.