Hurricane .. just came. How do...

... I remove the seat from the track? It appears that there is a open space at the forward end for the tab to unlock the seat, but I am unable to simply lift it off. I make things .. and I can see a couple of things I can do without needing to modify anything.

I just traded up from an 18' Alden Ocean Shell and this, to a newbie's eyes, is a piece of jewelry by comparison.

Jim
wetstuff

Submitted by wetstuff on Tue, 04/27/2010 - 6:30am

have to take off track. take out screws with allen. all done

#1 Tue, 04/27/2010 - 8:36am

wow, if that is a jewel, wait until you see/paddle a Pueo....

#2 Tue, 04/27/2010 - 11:14am

.... I haven't left the parking lot of the Audi dealer before a BMW salesman is pitching me?! I have not even sat in an OC-1 yet, so I'm not a prospect to replace something I have not even had the chance to splash yet. I'm sure there's some very fine hulls out there, but I have no illusions that I'll ever Race .. and the reputation of the Hurricane is quite good from all my reading. The fact that it may be out of 'current fashion' is kind of meaningless to me. The closest other OC-1s, I have heard about, are at least two hours away. I am in Salisbury Maryland.

Thanks ISO .. I was reluctant to back out the screws without knowing what's behind them. I've been hearing carping about an uncomfortable seat and have messed with various foams and gels, so I was thinking of messing with it. ...depends how I find it.

I do have another question .. I kitesurf in my local Atlantic ocean .. and had a roto Waveski/kayak, so spend a lot of time over there. Am I correct, these are not really suitable for pitch-n-dump conditions .. even waist high? I figure I could almost always, time-and-muscle my way Outside....but have dumped the kayak enough (sold it five years ago) to know I don't want to force the Hurricane to endure this sort of punishment ... besides it's got a rudder like Am's Cup boat.

Cheers.

Jim

#3 Tue, 04/27/2010 - 11:56am

You're correct wetstuff - probably don't want to take it into the shorebreak, unless you're really eager to find out what's behind those seat-track screws...

#4 Tue, 04/27/2010 - 2:38pm

Now you will have to make a cover for it Jim, you still have the sewing machine don't you?

Jim makes the Rolls Royce of covers for everything you can think of .... and i bet that Hurricane will be fit out in cloth that will make a Thai Tailor proud.

R

#5 Tue, 04/27/2010 - 11:33pm

.... Thanks goto: I suspected such. I once tried a plywood dory in the surf; Dumbass here did not fix the oarlocks and the very first set ended that adventure. I've pretty much stuck anything that floats out there, but I also kite behind the barrier island (we call it Bayside) so that's where I'll take her. I have a trailer that carries a 16 and 27' rower that I'll mod to haul this.

.... 'Kind of you to say Rambo, but this came with covers for everything! They were done a little ricky-ticky .. fit is a little loose .. the two arms/struts (?) bang around together .. but someone was smart enough to put padding in the nose of the ama bag and the mesh panels are interesting ..but, I want to teach myself to paddle a bit before I before I get too loonie..

One recent toy is a proper sign machine that cuts vinyl. Of about 500 fonts I have, I think I will be able to come up with some proper tats to replace those Scotch Tape decals. The word 'Hurrycane' deserves more punch.

I need to thank Paddling Promotions in OZ and Rambo for their postings on rigging the boat. There are some of us in the Far-Away who would never have a clue without them. Thanks again.

Cheers.

Jim

#6 Wed, 04/28/2010 - 2:15am

wetstuff,
The closest club to you is probably Kent Island, but I know there are a few Hurricanes there. In fact, there's a race there June 5 where there will probably be a lot of Hurricanes. Even if you don't want to paddle, it would be worth checking out just to see and meet some other paddlers.

Do you have a website for your covers? I'm actually looking for one for my boat and I'm kinda, sorta on the east coast…

#7 Wed, 04/28/2010 - 3:04am

Anowara - thanks for the tip on the race. I heard there was a cluster on Kent Is. You are spot on; watching is a great way to learn. Grunt, typically, does not defeat technique.
(Sent PM) Thanks.

Jim

#8 Wed, 04/28/2010 - 11:43am

has there been a more succesful canoe than the hurricane, dont own one . wish I could afford a few canoes. its probably one more races than any other canoe? yes no????

cheers

#9 Wed, 05/12/2010 - 12:08am

Hey Wetstuff, I planning on heading down to KI on the 5th along w/ a few others from Philly. I'd like to see and talk to you about your covers.

#10 Wed, 05/12/2010 - 2:04am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.182 seconds.