Hurricane Tempest OC2

Anyone paddled the new Hurricane Tempest OC2.
If yes, I would appreciate opinions.
Mike

Submitted by dalidali on Sun, 03/28/2010 - 12:05pm

Light, fast and tippy. An ama so small it looks like it should be on an OC1. Great in the flats, not so great in swell (someone say Hurricane?). Bit of a learning curve to get comfortable. Expect to spend some time in the water.

#1 Sun, 03/28/2010 - 12:12pm

Thanks a million. Have you tried it on choppy water that we have on the Great Lakes around here. Just directionless waves popping up in an irregular manner.
How does it behave in the wind with that small ama
Thanks again

#2 Sun, 03/28/2010 - 12:22pm

Well 2 guys came to our Keokea race last weekend and took like 4th or 5th overall in it and everyone said its great in the surf. Just what I heard.

#3 Sun, 03/28/2010 - 1:01pm

I've only paddled it a handful of times and it was either in flatwater or windswell, no open ocean. The only other OC2s I've paddled are the Stingray and the John Martin Honukai. The Tempest felt great, but was not as stable as the other OC2s I've paddled. It seemed like you needed to be aware of your balance in the chop or you were going over. My problem in the swell was the stability, but not your usual Hurricane OC1 problems of the nose pearling. The nose seemed to have a good amount of volume and was more rounded than the Hurricane. Maybe I just needed more time on the water to get used to it. I think if you could get dialed in and comfortable it would be a really fast canoe.

#4 Sun, 03/28/2010 - 2:59pm

Hi Guys,

Any pics of this boat ? Could not finad any on the net.

Thanks.
aloha,
pog

#5 Sun, 03/28/2010 - 5:38pm

Here you go (got to be logged in to see the attachments).

Cheers.

#6 Sun, 03/28/2010 - 6:42pm

What is a good in your opinionOC2 for flats and chop?

#7 Mon, 03/29/2010 - 3:30am

dalidali, check out Tiger's Mahoe at http://www.tigercanoe.com/
Aloha,
J

#8 Mon, 03/29/2010 - 3:45am

Mahalo Hasto !

aloha,
pog

#9 Mon, 03/29/2010 - 10:03am

Well the team of Ryan Pogue/Christine Chard used a Tempest in the Oahu Coastal Relay Short Course to beat Ken Bailey/Katie Slocumb who were on a Tiger Mahoe by almost 3 minutes. 3rd overall behind the 2 surfski's.

http://pseresults.com/events/25/results/85/print

It does look kind of weird with the ama, iakos being forward and only around the front paddler. Ryan did mention that the second person would sometimes hit the rear iako if they were not careful or had a long reach.

#10 Mon, 03/29/2010 - 11:48am

But are the seats comfortable?

#11 Mon, 03/29/2010 - 11:56am

But are the seats comfortable?

I would say yes, since they are drop in, adjustable and held in place by velcro. Similar to the other OC-2's Mahoe, Stingray 2, Waveblade 2 seats (check the pictures Hasto posted above). Not like the stiff Hurricane tractor seat.

#12 Mon, 03/29/2010 - 12:08pm

short for an OC2 and iako location makes it hard for seat 2 to get a good reach. There is a new bigger ama now that makes the boat incredibly stable. It is very light and built like a brick shit house which is nice for Kailua/Lanikai bay where it usually blows snot. We found it to be sticky and not as easy to get on a plane like the stingray or Honukai. Would not want to paddle a channel with it, the iako thing would drive me crazy, but excellent choice for a play boat since it is small, light and tough (compared to the other aforementioned OC2's). seats are comfortable

#13 Mon, 03/29/2010 - 1:19pm

Before you get too excited about the Tempest performance in Sundays race, consider that I will be 61 in a couple of days. My partner, Katie Slocumb, although appearing to be a smoking hot, "spring chicken" is 40'ish. oxo, Ken Bailey

#14 Mon, 03/29/2010 - 3:47pm

Eh! Mr. Hekili: Just want to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

#15 Tue, 03/30/2010 - 10:06am

Slocumb is smoking hot....you lucky bugga....

JawsOut.

#16 Tue, 03/30/2010 - 1:34pm

Mahalo koacanoe. Speaking of Hekili. Be sure to check out the April edition of Pacific Paddler and Makai. First installment of twelve ads featuring the men and women of the Hekili Underground. Guarantee 100% local. I gotta say this, big mahalo nui loa to Joss and Dale Hope. Without them this campaign would be whatevas.

#17 Tue, 03/30/2010 - 1:53pm

KGB is smoking hot! Slocumb is the lucky one.

#18 Tue, 03/30/2010 - 3:53pm

KGB- join us old guys at the Kauai World Challenge- get Ol' Jeff Metzger as your partner. We expect 6 or 7 60+ teams if us old guys don't break down before that race. Or do Mixed Masters w/ Katie- some great teams in that age group as well. Should be a great race - the last serious one of the OC1/OC2 season! Beenie, Moki Paikuli, Jimmy Kincaid - join us!

#19 Tue, 03/30/2010 - 6:08pm

Ano'ai! Get Mixed Masters OC2 this year or what? Small kine tired of racing OC2 when only get Open Mix in that division. Last week was the keeds from Canada, the week before that was Pat Dolan and his pua hone. At our age, the mind says go, but as Uncle Gilbert says, the body tells you at some point, no can go.

#20 Tue, 03/30/2010 - 6:38pm

KGB: I buy that. Uncle Gilbert is right - "no can go."

#21 Wed, 03/31/2010 - 5:12pm

I have been paddling the Tempest OC 2 for 7 weeks and almost 5 days a week. I have raced in the Big Island, Oahu, and look forward to racing it on the mainland.

I have paddled it with novice, men, women and strong surfing paddlers. Here is my feed back.

Construction - Right now it is available in fiberglass only and it is only slightly heavier than a full carbon of the competitor, but much cheaper. Quality is high like the Hurricane and other canoes built by Outrigger Zone.

Performance - Amazing. I have raced OC 2 for years and have won many races over the years. This is by far the fasted two man I have ever paddled in the surf. My partner and I took this 4th over all in big surf day. Laughing, flying the ama, and paddling beside top paddlers than I never get to see at the finish line or watch finish. The canoe finds the bumps easily and turns like a solo.

Stability - Very good or very bad. It is a very responsive canoe, so if you paddle stiff and push the canoe around it is tippy. If you do not over steer the canoe and let the big canoe roll, it is very stable. Depends on your skill.

Value - At $3600.00 very, very good.

Easy changes from to rear steering.

Lots of deck height keeping seat two dry.

The ama is short, and never pushes the canoe around. It is easy to fly the ama and link waves with good surfers.

#22 Sun, 04/04/2010 - 10:15pm

But, you say is better than the Stingray OC2??

#23 Tue, 06/04/2013 - 7:19am

Anyone know the weight of a fiberglass Tempest? OZ website states 24-26lbs is that true?

#24 Wed, 11/13/2013 - 11:50am

Maybe it's kilograms and not lbs? 25 kilograms = 55 lbs, which sounds more likely than 25 lbs.

#25 Wed, 11/13/2013 - 11:59am

The Tempest is pretty light. I would say that it's probably in the 25-30lb range unrigged.

#26 Wed, 11/13/2013 - 12:28pm

Got tired of waiting for March Taylor and bit the bullet and bought a Tempest. The more I (we) paddle it the better it gets. The Polyurethane top coat scratches super easy. The back iako gets in the way at times. I swapped out the existing deck plug for a breather type. All in all though the boat is pretty rad. Haven't paddled Karel's new OC2.

#27 Wed, 11/13/2013 - 3:50pm

KGB: how long were you waiting before you bought the tempest?

#28 Thu, 11/14/2013 - 9:46pm

Waiting on Tiger ? My friendship with him precludes me from commenting.

Jim Foti had two Tempests in stock when I called him. I think he might have one left.

BTW the carbon iakos are sketch. Luckily I got aluminum.

#29 Fri, 11/15/2013 - 8:33am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.287 seconds.