hybrid paddle question

I'm looking into purchasing a new paddle. I'm wondering why they don't seem to make a hybrid paddle that has a carbon shaft and wood blade (or at least I haven't seen any...)

Does anyone know the reason? I've found all carbon, all wood and wood shaft with carbon blade. But no carbon shaft with wood blade.

Thanks!

Submitted by new2OC on Tue, 07/06/2010 - 2:37am

Bending Branches Sunburst has an wood blade and carbon fiber shaft. Really pretty to look at. I'm not sure how it would fair if using it for outrigger racing though. Don't think that I'd like it for racing....but for calm day on the lake hanging out with the kids probably would be a great paddle.

most people like the slight flex of wood...kind of acts like a mini shock absorber for your arms. carbon fiber is so stiff that a lot of people complain about how they feel beat up after they use an all carbon paddle racing. I really don't know by experience as I've never owned an all carbon paddle. Lots of people swear by there Zaverals. With a wood paddle you can see the flex if you really test it out of the water, though.

hopefully other people will comment on their carbon paddles... or why you would or wouldn't want carbon shaft. I personally think it's probably difficult to make as it's a round surface.

#1 Tue, 07/06/2010 - 4:10am

I think the reason why wood is preffered is because it has very different properties to carbon composite --
Wood is resillient and can absorb impact without serious consequence, while carbon is super stiff, having a low modulus of elasticity.
Some paddle makers can make carbon shafts with flexibility, but the carbon will then have a very thin laminate and be most liable to structural compromise if dinged.....thin carbon laminates are in effect brittle. As soon as the engineered structure is compromised by minor damage it will begin to break down.
The blade does not have flex loading concentrated as much as the shaft, so is the best place to make use of a carbon laminates properties.

#2 Tue, 07/06/2010 - 9:45am

goodwaka, well explained!

the Kialoa Keone was one of those carbon shaft paddles with "flex" - it requires the shaft to be tapered, rather than tube stock like an SUP paddle, which gets its additional flex from the length of the paddle shaft.

While it is no longer featured on their site, Kialoa dealers still have some stock

#3 Tue, 07/06/2010 - 12:55pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.179 seconds.