I LOST MY ONE MAN WAI NUI CANOE AT SEA ON THANKS GIVING!!! FROM BARBORS POINT OAHU!!!!

I was at Barbors Point EWA side, and got seperated from my outrigger. it could be on its way to Kauai.its red and white, with green Wai Nui stickers, and makers name.. PLEASE IF FOUND EMAIL ME. REWARD IS OFFERED!!!

Submitted by Maui206 on Fri, 11/26/2010 - 12:39pm

I keep seeing this post and it begs me to ask some questions. I do paddle alone on occasion and often time wonder what if I were to lose my canoe outside, especially late evening when the water is purple. Or even paddling in a group on a big day you cant see all of your buddies since we al take a different line.
How far out were you? Cell phone used?
Did you swim to shore? Any thing you would do different next time your out?
Were you wearing a leash?

Anyway. Glad you made it to ke pa'a aina! Hope you find your canoe, call Kirimati It's probrably there by now. Thanks for giving us a little more information about the incident. Until we become amphibians, Your information could help me and Im sure others make changes to our paddling routines and be a little more safe in our quest of paddling endevors. Aloha

#1 Sun, 11/28/2010 - 7:44am

I was a bout 1/2 mile from shore... winds was like 15-20mph, not too sure but was strong... 2-3 footers occa. 4 footers roll in... no cell phn used, was out catching waves/ having fun... Yes I swam to shore.... I was wearing my leash.... Any thing you would do different next time your out? well in these conditions... dont take off your leash untill your 100% sure your ready to get on your canoe. I got to comfortable and took it off to fast without visualizing the next sets that were coming in... they say wind was a factor. NO it wasnt... i was having a lot of fun. it only got bad when i took off my leash at the wrong time!!! lol gotta laugh tho... Giving back is a good thing and im not that sour bout it anymore... other than the fact that WaiNui is the greatest and she was damn beautiful!!!!! lol

#2 Sun, 11/28/2010 - 11:30am

lost my kanu this summer during practice in similar fashion except it was the wind that carried it toward ewa from sand island. got my kanu back the next day. how u might ask? luck, writing my name and ph no. on the kanu and seat, letting coast guard know about kanu lost and contact info is on the boat ( also that i was safe) and luck.......did i mention luck.lmao! a tour boat captain found it on it's way to Kauai and picked it up and called me. urs is probably on Niihau right now.

#3 Sun, 11/28/2010 - 4:04pm

Can I ask why would you wear and take it off if your not back on land yet? Maybe that's something you can do different next time? Learn to back on your kanu with the leash on??

#4 Wed, 12/01/2010 - 9:40pm

I find it nearly impossible to get back on starboard side when conditions are rough. Get on ama side then, leash wrapped around boat. Release and re-attach. All with one hand.

#5 Thu, 12/02/2010 - 7:02am

I also have a hard time getting back on starboard side. Never had a problem taking off leash and getting on the other side, me being lolo I decided to get my paddle which was 12 ft away and letting go of kanu to get paddle. Never let go of Kanu!!!! I learned the hard way.

#6 Fri, 12/03/2010 - 9:47am

Thats why I carry a spare paddle if conditions warrant it. Similar story happened to a friend of mine but he elected to stay with canoe. He laid down on his stomach and stroked like a paddleboard.

#7 Fri, 12/03/2010 - 5:52pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.192 seconds.