Ideas on storing OC-1 in carport

Any suggestions on storing an OC-1 in a carport? I'm currently storing my OC-1 in my living room and I would really like to store it out in the carport. I am afraid of it getting stolen outside.

Submitted by polaris on Tue, 05/04/2010 - 10:04pm

Get some wall or ceiling racks to mount your OC-1 in your carport to keep it off the ground. Either make or buy a locking cable to fit around the bow and long enough to reach the stern. Somewhere in the middle have it wrapped around or through something secure. Might be good to get an OC-1 cover that isn't going to make it stick out from your carport of what it is.

Below is the Lasso Security Lasso Lock which is made for locking a kayak/canoe to your roof racks of your car/truck and can also be used to lock it at home.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also read some of the other suggestions in this thread about locking a Pueo.

http://www.ocpaddler.com/forum/2010/locking_pueo

#1 Tue, 05/04/2010 - 11:00pm

i'm sure it's probably happened although i've never heard of it personally but has anyone heard of or had it personally happen to you, i'm referring to your oc-1 getting stolen. thanks.

#2 Wed, 05/05/2010 - 8:20pm

My brother was watching a movie at a theatre and some guys started un tying his canoe and the theatre workers chased them off. Pirates.

#3 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 5:47am

this is the reason for my ugly paint schemes. no on wants to steal a boat that is easily ID'ed. when i get really paranoid i run a bike cable lock through my rudder cables in my cockpit. that way the bad guys would have to cut my cables. also, i always keep my iako locked up some other place (my truck tool box). that way the guys would have to steal this green boat with a polka dot orange ama and a giant "13" on the tail, repair the rudder cables, get someone to bend them new iako, then try to sell it. in hawai'i i think that would be kinda easy to catch.

#4 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 8:36am

jc9-0, ha-ha i know who you are once you described your canoe. met you at hawaii-kai one man launch. you were gonna do a kaimana run with some friends of mine and asked you about your ama. nice boat, crazy ama though! yeah, if anyone steal that boat be EAZY fo find. i was jus wondering how prevalent oc-1 thefts are here in hawaii. sometimes after a paddle i go and do stuff and leave my boat on my truck,also leave my boat on the side of my house. goo idea about the iakos. i'll keep mine separate also. i've left my boat at kaimana after a run and caught a ride back to hi=kai and never had any problems. KNOCK ON WOOD!! plus i think the paddling community is pretty tight and if you put the word out about a stolen boat i think other paddlers would respond. aloha and fast runs!

#5 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 10:39am

Thanks for the responses. I feel better about storing my boat outside.

#6 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 9:04pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.187 seconds.