ILH Canoe Racing

Read an article by Ron Mizutani saying that the DLNR was changing the finish line from the mouth of Ala Wai harbor to offshore of Aina Moana. It's a stretch to view these races from the seawall let alone trying to see how they finish. I clearly remember the Coast guard finish being inside the harbor. Where's the love Laura ?

Submitted by cut2above on Fri, 01/29/2010 - 7:18am

it is a bummer the finish line had to be moved after 21+ years of racing. this past week's race was the fastest, most tightly contested race i've seen in the 20 years i've been around ILH paddling. it would have been great for the crowd to be able to see Kamehameha and Mid Pacific go toe to toe all the way in the channel too.

got to say the display of sportsmanship by both crews immediately following the race was awesome. first thing both the first and second place crews after killing each other for 44 minutes? look at each other and applaud each others efforts.

i couldn't have been more proud as a coach. awesome.

#1 Fri, 01/29/2010 - 9:12am

JC
You folks had some weekend races at the beginning of the season, will you have those in the future like next season ? I think it would bring out more spectators and be more parent friendly. Maybe a change of venue like Sand Island would make for better viewing ? There are a couple of course options that could be considered.Ya think Laura might say otherwise?

#2 Fri, 01/29/2010 - 10:02am

What chance a bunch of kids have against a bunch of yachties? Time for go get Laura's mommy and the legislature involved. Go Picket!!!

#3 Fri, 01/29/2010 - 10:48am

we will for sure talk about it at the post season ILH coaches meeting, everything seems to work better on the weekends. saturdays always get my vote. the crowds on the weekend are amazing. plus there is time to run the boys, girls, and mixed races all in the same day. weather is almost always better in the AM too. especially on light wind days when the things turn onshore during the latter part of the day. there were plans to move all the races to saturdays but, something similar to the race course issue happened. someone didn't like saturdays... so now we split the season half/half. half the time on weekends and half the time weekdays.

i can see how sand island would be good as well. but, for viewing you just can't beat magic island. with a good pair of binoculars you can see every boat on the course at any time during the race. there is ample parking at M.I. as well. i paddle out of sand island almost daily, and the only other issue i have with that site is the amount of broken glass there every day. seems like guys go over there, drink beers, and shatter glass all over the place. i never go barefoot down there since i stepped on a nice sharp piece of glass right before one of my workouts. had to go to work with a bloody foot. that wasn't any fun...

#4 Fri, 01/29/2010 - 12:50pm

it's too bad they don't run the races into the channel anymore. especially when boats are battling - it's so exciting to watch the finish from inside. we were able to see the race the other day from the water and it was pretty cool, the kids were definitely going for it.

ILH long distance races....those were the days...

#5 Fri, 01/29/2010 - 1:47pm

JC
I hope you can pull it off, as a parent who works out at Kapolei it is a stretch to get out there during the week so the weekends would be and were great. The kids were also together during competition (boys and girls) which made racing and cheering for one another all the more enjoyable. Maybe the venues could be held at different sites around the island. I think that there is one thing I would like to see happen, due to the amount of paddlers that compete there are some who will not get into the race. I would like to see something similar to what the kayak racers do in ILH, they do an exhibition race at the end of the day for all those who do not paddle. Keeps them coming back and not just decorating the sidelines. Great stuff though that you folks do, keep it up.

"Water Cures All ""Big Boys Kick and Glide"

#6 Fri, 01/29/2010 - 1:48pm

well here's to hoping. but when it comes down to it, i'm only one coach among many...

however my vote will be for weekend races only.

#7 Fri, 01/29/2010 - 1:54pm

Congrats to your crew on a great race jc9...watched the race from the water, and it was unreal how close the top two battled it all the way in, around the bouy and across the finish...very cool.

That whole area outside of Magic Island is great for the viewing public. There was the Ala Wai Challenge a couple weekends ago in the 'Ala Wai'...yes, it is a bit nasty...but, having a non-paddling crowd viewing from the street was great...especially cool with Uncle Nappy and crew providing water taxi services with seating platform on a double.

It would be great to have a weekend race (maybe even V1?) actually start and finish in the Waikiki area for maximum spectator energy...the start would be pretty cool, wouldn't you think?

T

#8 Mon, 02/01/2010 - 12:38pm

I agree, the moving of the finish line is lame.

Saturday races by far are better than the weekday races. No doubt. But the argument against it is this (and I agree with it):
Some schools don't have very many canoes. There is a case when 2 schools, each with 3-4 divisions, share 4 canoes. So this means on any given afternoon they are possibly 8 teams sharing 4 canoes in a time span of about 2 hours. Saturdays are the only days that allows this school a long paddle because of the logistical issue. If all the races were on Saturday it would put these schools at an unfair disadvantage. That is why its the way it is.

#9 Mon, 02/01/2010 - 1:57pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.190 seconds.