The Importance of Racing

On Oahu, we are fortunate to have two racing associations. I understand that racing week in and week out can accrue quite a cost. Dropping 25-30 bucks a week on race fees alone is hard. Despite the cost, it is my strong belief that paddlers wanting to be competitive should take advantage of every opportunity to race. Racing is the best form of training!

I remember competing in the weekly Kanaka Ikaika races when I was 15. I would paddle as hard as I could until I died. Full Kamakazi style! By doing this up against competitors from all over the island(s), I pushed my limits, learned about my body and made IMPROVEMENTS. I didn't always have good finishes, but I was able to go harder for longer as the season progressed as result.

Racing is also a good time to work out the small things like the hydration system, nutrition, sports drinks (pre race, during, post - race). What do you eat before a race that is most effective? What do you drink during a race that works the best? I have seen many fellow paddlers try new things before the big race aka MOLOKAI. Why? You train all year for the big event and try something new in the race that matters? The small races are the times to get this all dialed in. Learn how to drink from your hydration system the most efficient way while surfing or in the flat (when your neck and neck with a competitor/friend). These small things take time to dial in, and if you are losing to your friends by half a minute, this could be why.

I urge everyone to participate in both PAA AND Kanaka Ikaika races. Big thanks to Jim Foti and Manny for keeping our sport alive! See you at the Koa Nui challenge this weekend.

Submitted by PatDolan on Fri, 03/05/2010 - 9:38am

I couldn't agree more. Good sportsmanship, training and racing is what seperates the men from the Boy(s).

#1 Fri, 03/05/2010 - 2:09pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.162 seconds.