Introduction and car top carrying question

Hi all, my name is Eric and I am in Tampa, FL. I am seriously contemplating the purchase of an OC-1 and, if so, hope to become an active member of your community. I have spent the last couple of weeks watching You Tube videos and reading everything I can regarding the OC. I am a fitness nut and water junkie so the OC should feed both of those desires. My SUP time has made me less and less interested in being trapped inside my sea kayak which is a freakin shame as I JUST spent $2700 on a beautiful new QCC kayak that is fast and stable. I just cannot stand the feeling of sitting INSIDE the boat. Need to get my lower body out in the free air. I am a member over at the Standup Zone forum and my interest in the OC was created by a link posted to Dave Kalama's blog where he discusses the benefit to your paddle stroke and the ability to read the water created by learning to paddle the OC. I have a pretty strong feeling that I am about to become an OC-1 owner.

My questions for you experts is regarding car top transportation of your canoes. My Thule rack works well for my 18' kayak as well as my SUP (12'1 Laird) but I'm wondering what the tips are for carring a boat such as.....let's say.....a Pegasus. I know that my standard saddles should work but how do you handle tie down lines fore and aft. Also, would you typically carry the ama on the roof rack? My vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I find that the spacing between front and rear racks work pretty well for the kayak and the board. Will I need rack extenders for the additional length of the OC? Enlighten a brotha so that I don't screw up a big investment.

Submitted by ericspin on Wed, 12/08/2010 - 6:24am

your on the right track, I don't think you need anything else for basic transport.

personally I just use surf rack pads on my thule bars that are spaced 4.5' apart for my pueo and aukahi. no special pads for the boat or straps. I'm comfortable driving as fast as my land cruiser will go - (75mph) with no problem from the canoes. If you start getting crazy you can make rack extenders or get the supper expensive boat craddle from some rowing company, but that's up to you

#1 Wed, 12/08/2010 - 8:42am

J

Hi Eric

I carry my Pegasus around on the top of a Mazda 6 sedan with a meter or less between the racks. I have Thule cradles and as they don't conform that well to the shape of the hull I've added some wedges of polystyrene to each cradle. Doing this certainly made things more secure (less side to side movement). This arranagement is Ok for short trips at urban speeds. For longer trips/motorway I grab the wifes wagon which lets me get 1 1/2 meters between the racks and then I tie down the front and back.

Ideally I should get a rack extender or an add-on cradle as toa moana mentions.

my old canoe (rubber lashed kiato and ama) was carried fully rigged using the above. My Peggie is broken down with the ama carried internally.

#2 Wed, 12/08/2010 - 10:58am

Welcome over Eric,

Call me to check in if you want ...

How to explain to Steve @ QCC ? LOL ...

O.K. sorry man ... Hope your feeling better too.

aloha.
pog

#3 Wed, 12/08/2010 - 11:58am

Welcome man! I'm over in Mobile, Al. Not much of a scene around here, but there is a club near you in Clearwater. I haul my HUKI V1-R with Yakima mako saddles and hully rollers. Granted the rack is on my camper shell, so the bar spread is pretty good. Even have a crosscountry trip with it this way and no issues. Huki boats come with short iako's for transporting. I also have an 8' padded surfboard bag for the ama. Just throw it in the bed if I need a bit more room on top. Hope this helps.

Greg

#4 Wed, 12/08/2010 - 12:58pm

Hi Eric,
My husband and I are also on Stand Up Zone and have a few flatwater race boards. Recently purchased and have been paddling a Huki V2X (almost 25' long). We have a honda ridgeline with roof rack spacing of only about 36". We use a Thule goal post when carrying the canoe. Works great. We leave the canoe cradle on the Goal Post and just slip it in the hitch when we are carrying the canoe. This way we have 2 racks up front (only one with cradle) and one about 5 feet back. The canoe is actually easier to transport than the race SUP boards. We have a Huki so it comes with stubbies to transport the ama on the canoe. When it is really windy we just throw the ama inside.

Go get that OC1, you will love it. OC and SUP really compliment each other.

Have fun, Jill

#5 Wed, 12/08/2010 - 1:50pm

Get a snug fitting bag to protect the boat when you are highway driving from rocks and sun and stuff!
http://www.hawaiiancanvas.com

#6 Wed, 12/08/2010 - 1:56pm

My 2 cents is to go with something that spreads out/distributes the mounting points. I had a canoe partially fly off my vehicle due to a failure of my cradle (I won't name the brand for I think they're generally a good product...mine may have just been old). It was a gusty day. I saw the people in the oncoming traffic duck for cover in their car! I've made a rack or sling (similar to those Birnham (sp?) type slings for about $40. Mine is 7' long and attaches on to my bars. I either use this....or if not..I definitly tie down the bow. My feeling is you can't be TOO secure.

#7 Thu, 12/09/2010 - 6:50am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.143 seconds.