Isn't this illegal?

If you've been visiting ocpaddler.com for a while now, you've probably read "An Introduction To OC1 Paddling" by Luke Evslin in the articles section. (If not, here's the link: http://www.ocpaddler.com/oc1intro)
It's obvious to me that SOME people have read it though... Florida's local one-man seller, who goes by the name of crazypaddler, posts a new blog entry every couple of weeks or so on their website, http://www.crazypaddler.com/ that is plagiarized WORD FOR WORD from Luke's article.

Check it out. Leave a comment if you like... but I'll let you know this, if you leave a comment about the blog being copied from ocpaddler, don't expect it to actually get posted.

Submitted by goto on Mon, 05/03/2010 - 9:06pm

I left a very to the point comment Goto. Good eye. Shame on them

#1 Mon, 05/03/2010 - 9:28pm

wth?! first the CAVS lose game 2. and now Crazy paddler bites off lukes article and doesnt even post the pictures. kinda smooth how he tried to make it all different days he came up with that stuff. lukes own article he gave out aloha for input.

#2 Mon, 05/03/2010 - 9:29pm

Looks like he was apologizing when I clicked on that link. As if he didn't realize he was plagiarizing. Fakken haoles.

#3 Tue, 05/04/2010 - 3:46am

Interesting that the first couple of comments on the actual blog were ignored and no change was made. As soon as a few more people say something a nice apology is written. So much easier to give credit where it's due. Guess it's like most other things in life. The fear of public embarrassment is a bigger motivator than anything else.

#4 Tue, 05/04/2010 - 7:32am

The OCPM just had to Flex a little on this one and fixed immediately-Smart Man.

#5 Tue, 05/04/2010 - 7:37am

Though I'm flattered that they copied and pasted the article that Keizo and I put together, I definitely appreciate your comments. Thanks guys,

#6 Tue, 05/04/2010 - 8:21am

This , to me reads like a brutal attack by Kamanu on a fellow canoe dealer. Keizo runs OCP,, GOTO does the attacking and Luke comes through as the good guy . And then we all go buy Pueos from "the good guys".

#7 Tue, 05/04/2010 - 11:36am

Aloha,
Obvioiusly an apology is well deserved to everyone. We have acted immediately to change the blog and show respect to Luke and Keizo for the great article that they wrote. In no way did we mean to disrespect them and take their excellent article away. This has been a good lesson for us to make sure all articles are quoted by the person who wrote them. Sorry Keizo and Luke and to everyone else who was offended by this. It will not happen again!!!

#8 Tue, 05/04/2010 - 11:58am

Fuze have you ordered yours?

#9 Tue, 05/04/2010 - 12:23pm

Nah,,, I`m paddling THINKs and EPICs these days. I would like a new canoe though pretty soon for those huge downwind days which are coming right up.

Seems that you people out there on Oahu like the Pueo pretty well.

#10 Tue, 05/04/2010 - 12:48pm

Crazy,

Are you able to describe the thought process in collecting and then posting the article on your website ?

pog

#11 Tue, 05/04/2010 - 1:38pm

Just curious, what are "THINKs and EPICs", are these outrigger canoes???

#12 Tue, 05/04/2010 - 5:14pm

surfskis

#13 Tue, 05/04/2010 - 6:39pm

Oh! Know! How can you Fuze, paddle Thinks and Epics? Those things are not American made. At least the Pueo is, so go put your order in?

#14 Tue, 05/04/2010 - 9:14pm

as luke said, plagiarism is the greatest complement, now as crazy as this crazypaddler is, he is not benefiting from the article being republished anymore then the paddling community, so give him/her a break

#15 Tue, 05/04/2010 - 9:59pm

Haha fuzerider, are you kidding? Boat brands, ocpaddler.com, and Keizo have nothing to do with any of this. Sure, Luke and I are friends, but I'd have pointed out crazypaddler's copied blog posts no matter who they belonged to. More readers besides myself tried to contact crazypaddler in the past wondering if Luke was going to get any credit for writing their blog for them... Obviously, they've recently decided to apologize - I think that's cool. Everyone does something wrong every once in a while.

But seriously, an attack by Kamanu Composites and ocpaddler.com on crazypaddler? Get real. They copied Luke's article. That's the whole story.

#16 Tue, 05/04/2010 - 11:15pm

Goto, As a new blogger myself, I've had content scooped from my blog on SUP paddling and copied word for word - it must have been pretty good, as even RAMBO left a positive comment about it on the offending blog. the crummy part is the "reblogger" didn;t respond to my attempts to communicate about it.

With social networking tools like Twitter and Facebook giving us the ability to post links and content we "like" in the "blink of an iPhone", it's easy to forget that content is not your own.

the short answer, share the good stuff, just give credit where credit is due. your followers will thank you for hunting down good content and getting in front of us!

Aloha
Open Ocean Outriggers
http://outrigger.ca/_blog/The_Ocean_Experience

#17 Wed, 05/05/2010 - 5:49am

I fully agree w/you Openocean.

#18 Wed, 05/05/2010 - 6:52am

"This , to me reads like a brutal attack by Kamanu on a fellow canoe dealer. Keizo runs OCP,, GOTO does the attacking and Luke comes through as the good guy . And then we all go buy Pueos from 'the good guys.'"

fuzerider, you are exactly right except for one thing. While it was a brutal attack, it was also well calculated on their part. Luke comes through as the good guy, and fuzerider comes through looking like a douche bag.

Well done my friends. Well done.

#19 Wed, 05/05/2010 - 7:40am

Numerouno, I see that your true identity is that of Barack Obama so, any name calling of me by you will always be taken as a compliment.
Any way , nice advertisement for Kamanu going on here at the expense of the apologetic crazy paddlers.
Also , the article by Luke was a good one and well worth reading for anyone new to outrigger paddling and maybe a few who are not so new.

#20 Wed, 05/05/2010 - 12:13pm

fuze,
Election day 2008, Apple stock was $96. After a year+ of the big O its at $256. I thank him every day when I check the latest price.

#21 Wed, 05/05/2010 - 1:30pm

Same here Jibofo !!!

#22 Wed, 05/05/2010 - 2:01pm

Except for you fuzerider, no one else has mentioned Kamanu. Given that it was goto the paddler and OCP Mafia member that posted originally and not Goto the Kamanu sales rep, I think it reads more like the OCP Mafia is flexing a little muscle and protecting their territory. At least they don't have hired goons doing the enforcing yet. At least I think they don't…

#23 Wed, 05/05/2010 - 2:36pm

Fuze is getting a fusillade.

#24 Wed, 05/05/2010 - 2:58pm

Jim, Thanks for answering my question. That's kind of confusing, why would someone who has nothing to do with outrigger canoe paddling post on an outrigger site? Other than to promote negativity, makes no sense to me. Then again, I've only been paddling or using the internet for a few years, what the heck do I know.

#25 Wed, 05/05/2010 - 5:28pm

hi, fuzerider, good to hear from you; good to know also that you are still on surfskis.

Most of todays OC 1 have a ton of features that were introduced by Outrigger Connection first - did anybody go there and ask for permission to copy or offer to pay royalties - or, give due credit ?

Similar in all other performance related venues.

#26 Wed, 05/05/2010 - 8:33pm

O.K. on that note, IMHO, Keith of Valhalla surfskis deserves more credit than he is given. Besides still making some of the nicest Skis on the planet, Keith should be known for bringing such innovations as the single footwell, venturi drain system and elegant, overstern rudders to the mainstream ... Some where in the universe, there probably is/ was an earlier version of any / all of these ... but Keith was on it from the start.

Side note.

I was the first one to use the phrase "flutter free" on my website and now every kayak and SUP paddle manufacturer says it somewhere on their site, whether its true or not ... Its just there as a catch phrase people want to read. Should have trade marked that one.

aloha,
pog

#27 Wed, 05/05/2010 - 9:50pm

Eckhart, you seem to be a logical guy. But asking permission for every little idea would be crazy. By your train of thought royalties should be paid to oha or bishop estates for every outrigger canoe sold. You're killing me.

although on second thought maybe you're on to something there.

#28 Wed, 05/05/2010 - 11:33pm

Eckhart: how about surfskis as Pog suggested? Like maybe Hayden (for some canoe hulls look pretty similar)? And the C-Ski with ama and iako, which Tom and Charles used in this same relay race many years ago that gave birth to the OC-1's we use today. Imagine how things would be different today if it were not for surfskis?
ps: Hey Pog, I often wonder about Valhala if Deano were to ride it another year instead of a Burton?

#29 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 12:21am

jc0_9, yes, you would end up with too long a list. But some innovations are clearly copied. Just wondering if that is very different from copying an article ?

What is the opinion of builders, onnopaddle ? Let's say a wing paddle - does the inventor of that idea get credits ?

#30 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 5:49am

I've heard that it's really difficult to patent these design innovations. Maybe one of the boat builder guys could explain.

#31 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 6:18am

wasnt this thread about blogs?

#32 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 7:30am

It was about giving credit, wasn't it ?

#33 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 7:36am

Just wondering if that is very different from copying an article ?

There's a difference between copying and pasting an article and coming up with your version of something. Take the wing paddle. No idea who came up with it originally, but my guess is that if you put paddle maker A's wing paddle next to paddle maker B's wing paddle they would look similar but be different in execution, even though they are both wing paddles. I.e. paddle B is not an exact copy of paddle A. Same thing for outrigger canoes.

In the case here, it was a near exact copy of an existing article. So, shades of grey, blah blah blah, but don't be a dick and give people credit when credit is due.

#34 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 7:57am

IMHO, Unless its some kind of biotec thing, a patent (utility or design) is just not worth it for boat builders.

The guys that are gonna copy will still do it ... AND they only have to 'change' it 10 percent or something like that and now the design in their own ..

Most brutal for Epic right now. From that blatent copy some guy did and is marketing to huge sections being pulled from the V10 for other paddlecraft.

From a stir - the - pot perspective, I really hope they come into the market with a canoe ..... Last time I checked, they were NOT planning on it.

Making an original is REALLY hard work. Pulling a mold or skin is EZ.

The one that kills me is the china made SUP paddles that are identical to the Zaverals ...

On the other side of the coin, some stuff is just form follows function .... Something looks the same / similar 'cause that is what it takes to have it work right.

The best thing that one can do is keep innovatiing and stay ahead of the plagiarists.

aloha,
pog

Edit to add .. And give credit or write your own damm articles : )

#35 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 8:41am

Copying boat features (in not patented) is very different from copying an article because you can't go to jail for copy boat features but you CAN go to jail for plagiarism of a written article. So there's quite a big difference.

#36 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 9:15am

no wonder jails are overcrowded..they are full of serial plagiarists...

#37 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 12:51pm

Plagiarism is not the same as copyright infringement.

Generally, although plagiarism is often loosely referred to as theft or stealing, it has not been set as a criminal matter in the courts.

(Disclosure: I plagiarized the above directly from Wikipedia!)

I think everyone will agree that credit should have been given to the plagiarized article, but the answer to the question 'is this illegal' seems to be no.

#38 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 1:10pm

poopoo, you are clearly not a lawyer

#39 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 1:17pm

Clearly I am not huh? So this prompted further reading and to sum up what I found there are 2 big consequences
1. Loss of reputation
2. You can be sued if there is a the offender made profits from the offense.
My statement about jail was incorrect.

Guess the difference is if a boat or features of a boat are not copyrighted you can legally copy it. A written piece does not have to be copyrighted in order for plagiarism to occur.

#40 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 3:10pm

"poopoo, you are clearly not a lawyer"

Perhaps one of the biggest complements given on OCP.

No offense to the two or three good lawyers out there. You know who you are.

#41 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 3:13pm

"complements"

http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/difficulties/complementcompliment.html

muahahahahahaha

#42 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 4:19pm

jc9, you are clearly not an English major

poops on the other hand has a PHD in BS

muahahahahahaha

#43 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 6:07pm

"I'm not a Lawyer but I play one on television......"
I have a had an article plagiarized from a newspaper into a book. When I sent a copy of the article with the date on it and the publishing date of the book it certainly got a response from the offender. Don't steal, it ain't right!

#44 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 7:29pm

what's a compliment

#45 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 8:24pm

@ eckhart diestel, your remarks are right on : Outrigger Connection does deserve much credit for advancing canoe design over the years . So many builders exist today because of the level of expertise they witnessed while working at Outrigger Connection. I don`t need to name names here because you people know who you are. Karel knows his fiberglass and can shape like no other. Jr. ,,,, is the best downwind paddler in the world when / if he feels like getting out on the water and IMHO the Zephyr is the best handing fastest canoe downwind in the world.

#46 Fri, 05/07/2010 - 1:26am

@ jibofo, Youre apple stock goes up and you thank Obama for THAT ????? Im still scratching my head trying to make sense of that comment.

Funny to me how the Marxist mind works backwards and upside down.

#47 Fri, 05/07/2010 - 1:37am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.272 seconds.