Kaimana iako setting

I think this is my first post to the forums, so take it easy on me. I've been paddling for a few years now, and ike everyone else, I'm just trying to get better. I've been paddling a Kaimana for the last year now and have spent a good amount of time tinkering with the rear iako setting. I've gone from all the way in to questionably in and cant seem to figure out what's best.

Anyone have any insight to offer on the depth at which to insert the rear iako into the ama?

Also, has anyone tried to modify the iakos to bring the ama in closer?

Thanks in advance.

Submitted by dorkfacewill on Tue, 03/23/2010 - 11:17am

.... I paddle with a Kaimana and set the rear iako by measuring it by hand. I take my left hand and make sure the bottom of my left hand is even with the bottom of the rear iako and take my right hand and measure it up to my middle finger. Then I insert the rear iako into the ama to where my middle finger is measured at. This is the way I learned it by the rep at the time. It should work! If you decide to go higher, say two fist, it will effect your balance (unless you good at flyin the ama a lot), if you go lower (say one fist) it will run flatter, sometimes good in big water. Play around with this and I hope you find your range. But then again everyone have different comfort levels, hope this helps....... bringing in the iakos or shortening it, no need I think the hand adjustments will do the job, but if you hard up call the guyz at Kamanu Composites and they can help you.......

#1 Tue, 03/23/2010 - 6:47pm

Dorkfacewill, Your question is like opening a can of worms. Clint Eastwood said in one of the Dirty Harry movies, " opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one". I'm no different. I've used this practice with every new OC1 I've ever bought and like the results. In absolutely still water, sit in your boat with a 3 foot level placed across the foot wells. What you'll initially want is to adjust the back iako until the bubble is dead center. That should indicate that you in that canoe with your weight is level or trim. That is your starting point for adjustment. The distance between the boat and the ama is a whole different dynamic and truthfully I'll defer to the experts waiting in the wings. Good luck.

#2 Tue, 03/23/2010 - 7:28pm

What you’ll initially want is to adjust the back iako until the bubble is dead center. That should indicate that you in that canoe with your weight is level or trim.

Your canoe will be level when still (not paddling). I think that when you will paddle fast enough the canoe's hull will start to plane and will sit higher on the water. Your canoe will be leaning (a little) on the ama's side.
When I trim my V1, I like to set it leaning on the non-ama's side so it will be level when paddling.

#3 Tue, 03/23/2010 - 9:48pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.297 seconds.