Kanaka Ikaika race # 4

This is the latest on the Kanaka Ikaika race # 4 from Jim Foti.

As posted yesterday, we had some issues with DLNR regarding the water permit for Kailua - Kualoa. So we defaulted the race back to Hawaii Kai - Sand Island. Now all of the sudden, the Coast Guard says we cannot cross the mouth of Honolulu Harbor! We are working on an alternative plan with the same start locations, but until we know the final decision tomorrow (Friday) from the Coast Guard, we cannot confirm yet the finish. I'll post again tomorrow so stand by.

Submitted by ainokea on Fri, 02/19/2010 - 11:14am

Their website says this under the race schedule

Sunday February 21
Race Canceled due to DLNR and USCG refusing to work with the paddling community.

#1 Fri, 02/19/2010 - 4:26pm

i understand the need for safety from the DLNR and Coast Guard point of view. but i also understand that boats are tiny on a huge ocean and there is plenty of space for everyone to get around. what an embarrassment for our local government to shun a sport like paddling. pretty soon it will be illegal to launch a canoe in hawaiian waters.

if there isn't a race on sunday, i say we all just meet up and paddle the course anyway. i'll be out there doing it as a training run regardless. hopefully i can do it as part of a kanaka ikaika race but otherwise i'll just be out there paddling.

http://www.uscg.mil/global/mail/ go to this address, there you can fill out a comment form that goes to the coast guard. in the drop down menu you can choose one of several topics such as public affairs, boating safety, etc. now that i think about it, it's a bummer that hawai'i's paddlers turn out in droves to support a coast guard fundraising effort and yet they refuse to give backing to a canoe race later in the year.

here's the info for DLNR.
Kalanimoku Building
1151 Punchbowl St.
Honolulu, HI 96813
Ph: (808) 587-0400
dlnr@hawaii.gov

Perhaps we could write them emails in regards to permits being revoked for ILH paddling, any race finishing at Magic Island, races at Kualoa, finishes at Kaimana beach, the list goes on.

edit: also wrote to my state Rep John Mizuno. Anyone else lucky enough to live in Kalihi can write to him too. Otherwise I suggest contacting your own state rep about this.

#2 Fri, 02/19/2010 - 5:50pm

regardless if there is a race or not, if there isnt one we should still have a huge practice run

#3 Fri, 02/19/2010 - 7:37pm

Howzit Gang,

Sorry everyone, but the official word is that the race is off. Coast Guard was non responsive and DLNR couldn't issue a permit without the Coast Guard permit. Sunday is supposed to be light to variable wind anyhow, so.... everyone save $27.00 and do a run on your own. Or, like JC9_0 and thespear suggest, meet at 10:00 in Hawaii Kai and do the run unofficially, so some other run. If there really is no wind, then I would go up the wall to Sandy's and back or something like that.

Kanaka Ikaika will not sanction it based on potential repercussions with future permits for the entire paddling community.

Mahalo for the support of the community and the continued support of our sponsors: Bud Light, XCEL, Hinano, Kialoa, ENZA.

Hope for wind on the 28th for a good Makai Pier run!

Aloha,
Jim

#4 Fri, 02/19/2010 - 8:17pm

As Hawaiians, we should be entitled to our rights to practice our culture on the water in a canoe without a permit.

#5 Fri, 02/19/2010 - 8:37pm

Thanks for the info, Jim.

Wrote letters to the Coast Guard, DLNR, and my state representative today. I'd suggest everyone else do the same. As Bamskii just told me last week. The only way to affect change is let our elected officials know what we think and put our voices in the ears of the Coast Guard and DLNR. There are a lot of paddlers in the voting public if we just speak up.

#6 Fri, 02/19/2010 - 10:22pm

Wow!

Super aggressive on safety for Oc-1's and OC-6's.

I hope the Coast Guard and DLNR are just as vigilant and aggressive on pursuing Longliners and pollution from Cruiseships all over the islands. Or is it just easy to say no and keep Oahu locked down, but on the Big Island and Kauai Longliners and cruiseships do whatever they like.

This will continue unless people go nuts.

Less parks, less usable showers and bathrooms, less surf spots due to construction, less parking areas, more fees.

Do they ever close the bathrooms in the state capitol or state buildings, because not enough custodians? Strangely not. But the people, screw you bathroom and showers closed forever.

#7 Sat, 02/20/2010 - 5:30am

What exactly were the USCG issues? And what is meant by 'unresponsive'?

I ask because the answers to these questions will enable me to write a more informed and therefore impactful letter to the USCG, my state rep, etc...

#8 Sat, 02/20/2010 - 8:07am

Just to give the seafaring community the quick 411 of what's happening with DLNR and canoe race organizers. Currently there has been changes to the PERMIT PROCESS in regards to holding races with the use of State owned channels. While filing permits for the use of the ocean, paddlers (of what I was told only OC1, OC2, V1, and OC6) can't race into State owned channels (Sand Island & Ala Wai only, but not Kane'ohe Bay San Pan channel) under sanction of a race. Racers can finish outside and then paddle back in using the channels. I know, doesn't make sense. The impact, for example the Molokai Relay, the finish will change to the outside and eliminate the only spectator part of the race. So family, friends, other competitors can't cheer you on when you're battling to the finish with someone. Also, under the sanction of a race, you can't paddle in-than out-than back in again. So for example, pre season Hui Wa'a races in Ke'ehi would have to change. And remember, this is not under Hawai'i's Administrative Rules to which this type of law would be placed.

Why Its Unfair?:

-Only on O'ahu this permit process rule is implemented, and outer islands still race within State channels after acquiring permits.
-Kane'ohe Bays San Pan channel is okay to use under sanction of a race.
-Most paddlers abide to maritime laws for the egress/ingress of channels while under sanction of a race.
-No recent incidents involving canoe/vessel collision, which would be something that would spark a new rule or heavy enforcement of a current rule. Upon investigation, the last collision occurred approximately 20 years ago when an intoxicated captain ran a sailboat into Koa Kai's canoe.
-We all pay State taxes, that goes into a general fund, not just slip owners.
-Negates the growth of the sport.
-Paddling is our State sport!

DLNR's reason?:
-Canoes are deemed a navigable hazard and obstruct the passage ways of vessels, especially within the Ala Wai.

Solution?:
-Unite for a common cause, the power of voice, and the power of numbers! Not just for the sake of using waterways but perpetuate health, culture, youth, a healthy social lifestyle.

Why?:
-It may not stop at the use of channels, beach front club sites may be next.

I might get some flack for writing this, but the public needs to be informed of what's happening.

Carlton

#9 Sat, 02/20/2010 - 11:19am

Woohoo, so tomorrow's race will be SUP only?

If safety is the big issue then a really easy approach to resolve this issue would be to just require that a race official or USCG, or DLNR or whoever be present at both ends of the channel to inform boats that a race is going on and restrict their access if necessary for safety reasons.

I mean, this works for all of the land events. There are cops at many intersections for the marathon, the bike century, great aloha run, the many triathlons. There are lanes closed and sometimes entire roadways closed for these events. The impact and inconvenience of road/lane closures on island residents is far greater than that of the OC-1's, OC-2's, OC-6's, surfskis, and SUP's using the boat channels (or even the water just outside of the channels) for a short time.

Maybe another short-term solution could be to just ask the racers to come in outside of the main channel. None of us draw that much water.

BTW, I was joking about the SUP-only race comment, I like racing with the OC-1's as long as we get a head-start.

#10 Sat, 02/20/2010 - 11:37am

Fred Hemmings for governor.

#11 Sat, 02/20/2010 - 1:54pm

Why not just do the same rule that walter guild has run on his relay race for the past few years. "the race officially ends outside the harbor, but the the clock won't stop with your time until you come to the beach (Unofficial finish line)." Makes sense to me all there doing is paddling to the beach at race pace. As far as the uscg knows the race officially finishes outside. Just my two cents.

#12 Sat, 02/20/2010 - 5:27pm

Hey Aukina3, In the past it was probably a good way to end run the situation. The internet has changed all that. Pa'a and Kanaka Ikaika liability in todays world must be way spooky. The uscg/dlnr if not already hip to the matter, have just been enlightened by your post. Political action speaks volumes. This is an add on to my original post. I needed to clarify this by saying, that you don't want to dick with government agencies. They can make your life absolutely miserable if they want to. I'm not saying be limp, but be smart, cause they have the deck stacked in their favor.

#13 Sat, 02/20/2010 - 6:22pm

Walter's rule could work, but what'll work against you is when incriminating photos of the time keepers taking times from within the channels makes it to the desk of the DLNR personnel that issued the permits. In regards to USCG, yes, you don't want to mess with any Federal Agency (or any law enforcement agency for that matter) or Federal laws will be heavily implemented and enforced. I'm sure we all don't want to be paddling with bulky life vests and pay fees to register each canoe with "HA" numbers just like vessels. The power of numbers, voice, and petition.

Carlton

#14 Sat, 02/20/2010 - 7:53pm

Just curious, why are we finding about this just now? Not 6-9 months ago? Also, why do we need to skirt the law with the "outside" finish. If we represent Hawaii's sport, then why can we not make arrangements necessary to finish at the bouy inside? I don't like sneaking around! Sorry for my ingorance, but this seems like a lack of communication with the powers that be. We should not have to push the limits of ethical behaviour to enjoy our sport. Thanks to Jim, John, Jon, Steve, and all the rest that put this great opportunity together, for their support and effort.

#15 Sat, 02/20/2010 - 10:08pm

Go get your favorite legislator to introduce one bill for give all self or paddle powered craft the priority or right of way
in all island waters. What's needed is a PASH Decision for the water. Only thing you got to be Hawaiian.

#16 Sun, 02/21/2010 - 4:22am

You know, I have to apologize as I was helping write the schedules, Jon was posting on the website and pulling permits. I guess I didn't check the website to confirm the Kualoa race was on it until too late to get the DLNR permit for that race (you need 30 days). I pushed to change it to Kualoa and that is when I started learning how in advance you need to be on things. So, all this could have been avoided if I would have caught that mistake on the website early, and we could have had the Kualoa race going on. Then my back up plan was to revert to the original course.

I really can't say exactly what the deal is with the Coast Guard: Why their last minute rule, or why we were only informed during the week prior to the race? I THINK you can get a permit to cross harbors if you are 30 days in advance, but I am not sure. To address unresponsiveness: Jon Emerson called CG as soon as we heard about the issue with crossing the harbor and left messages with no call back.

So, anyhow, it is what it is and I am going to get together with people at DLNR and learn all the facts of what and what cannot be done for myself to help avoid future glitches.

Meantime, I think letters, etc... to DLNR and Coast Guard won't hurt anything.

Aloha,
JF

#17 Sun, 02/21/2010 - 8:23am

Are we all clear/approved for the 28th? Oahu's? Coastal Relay? States?

#18 Sun, 02/21/2010 - 11:03am

Sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe. On Kauai a bunch of people created a blockade so that the SuperFerry could not enter NAwiliwili Harbor. Some people were arrested and eventually all charges dropped. Our esteemed government prepared for trying it again by shipping over about a dozen inflatables so that they could enforce allowing the Superferry to enter Kauai. Smarter minds prevailed and the SuperFerry never came to Kauai again. The rest is history. The government does a lot for us however they are also inflexible when it comes to some "rules" like the 30 days in advance for a permit thing. DLNR on certain islands has shown flexibility which they should be applauded for. Race organizers work hard to try to get everything right. If "Motiv" has ever tried to organize a race he or she might have looked at the situation differently- just get out there and paddle! Dealing with our governmental offices takes a lot of time and patience to follow their "procedures" unless your Auntie or Uncle works there and can help out. Like Nike says, "Just Do it!" which Tiger may have taken too literally but what would be the problem of running a race w/out a permit, especially Kailua to Kualoa? The government has to show a bit more flexibility- it shouldn't hurt DLNR in Honolulu or the Coast Guard to help out "Hawaii's sport." Finishing in the Ala Wai was not allowed recently for a high school event which has finished there for the last decade or so. What is up with our government? They get more inefficient a time goes on and don't truly care to help the people! Time for a revolution! Our Congress and State legislature should really look at what they are doing and creating and get their act together. A person who has a good understanding of our government says our events are too manini and the officials would like to ignore us and just let the events happen- maybe this is true. Jim Foti has a cool head, manned up to the problem and is moving forward. Support him as well as Manny as no one gets paid for the time, effort and frustration they have to go thru to put on races.

#19 Sun, 02/21/2010 - 5:29pm

Getting the DLNR permit for the Kualoa race is very complicated, especially if Heeia Kea Harbor is involved, and will take at least 30 days for get it, unless you personally walk it through all the agencies required to sign-off on the application. That means: because City parks are being used, you got to drive to Kailua and Kualoa Parks and get the Directors there for give approval. In the past, the Kailua Director was cool and use to such things, but the Kualoa Director will want your personal guarantee that the race will not disturb the campers there, plus also require approval of the park's maintenance supervisor too, that the race won't damage the park, etc. Then go back into town for get the life guard boss for sign off too. Now no forget to promise the Harbor Master at Heeia Kea Harbor that nobody going park their cars illegally where the trailers go, and race will start outside the harbor. After Harbor Master approval, head back to City Hall, give copy of insurance, and keep your fingers crossed that they will approve the use of parks. Once approved, go to DLNR and hand in permit application with attached City approvals and pray. When DLNR calls, pick up permit and make copies for keep at both the start and the finish line, just in case someone complains and calls the police. So I tip my ball cap to all race organizers who go through this process - just so us guys can race. Show your appreciation and no grumble. MAHALO!!!!!!!!!!!
ps: Yes, the police have been called to check for permits, and DLNR have monitored the races on jet-skis.

#20 Mon, 02/22/2010 - 12:06pm

just want to be clear. i'm all about supporting the race organizers. just don't like how hard the government agencies make it to have canoe race in Hawai'i.

#21 Mon, 02/22/2010 - 1:41pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.214 seconds.