Looking for comments on HYPR Pahoa....

I have the opportunity to buy one, but without the ability to try it first - I thought one of you could give me an idea of the pros and cons of this hull. Thanks.

Jim

Submitted by wetstuff on Thu, 03/04/2010 - 5:46am

Unless you can get someone you know and trust to look at it and make sure its sound first, id say steer clear. A large number of Hypr canoes have major structural issues in regards to how the iakos attach into the canoe. Pahoa is a great hull but without trying it you dont know how it will feel for you and add in the Hypr part and you dont know if that canoe is safe. Just my 2 cents and doubt many here will disagree.

#1 Thu, 03/04/2010 - 10:51am

If its free then take it!!

#2 Thu, 03/04/2010 - 11:06am

Ask Oceanside Canoe Club paddler Nate Talauega what he thinks!!!

#3 Thu, 03/04/2010 - 11:20am

Only if it is a really really really good deal. The hull is fine, as jp said the problem is how the iakos attach to the canoe. I've seen people addressed that problem by adding new iako sleeves.

#4 Fri, 03/05/2010 - 9:09am

Somehow MBU, I get the impression that Nate Talauega would not be a fan... I really need a pretty bullet-proof boat. I will be isolated out here on the Eastcoast. Where I am, there is even only one other recreation rowing shell.. A certainly appreciate the candor. FYI: One sold in Flagler Bch, FL last week for $1,000.

I'll keep my eyes open .. maybe drop another name on you before I drop my Visa. Thanks again.

Jim

#5 Fri, 03/05/2010 - 12:24pm

Search the forum here for threads on Hypr. Some pretty funny stuff. Nate is not a fan, his snapped in two several miles offshore. If its a good deal and you never plan on being farther offshore than you can comfortably swim then go for it.

#6 Fri, 03/05/2010 - 3:46pm

Hi Jim,

You might tell us your height and weight, experience, locaton and paddling goals and then we can give you some ideas on boats to buy. You will be much happier paying an extra $1000 or two and getting a boat that will last you for many years and allow you to train safely and you might also be able to race it.

#7 Fri, 03/05/2010 - 3:50pm

K-J: 6-0, 85kilos, 20yrs surfing, 6 kiteboarding, couple of seasons rowing (have three shells) I tried a season of surf kayaking with a roto-boat by Cobra - the Shrike? We have pitch-n-dump conditions here. When you pitchpole hitting your head; the first thing I thought of was: a For Sale sign. Tried a stubby whitewater boat - that's a laugh in the surf ..maybe even more dangerous being skirted-in.

.. no goals. It's just that I feel a helluva lot better wrung out after spend two hours kitesurfing than I do peddling a MTB or raking leaves. There is not a spec of water that I don't think; "I could do something there..."

Exercise. And I would probably stay bayside or out back of my house on a series of small creeks. The problem with a shell on a tight, winding creek is that you cannot see well enough going backwards to maintain a pace. Padding looks like good 'work', pointing forward and the boat is not the run-of-the-mill seakayak.

But, I always buy used. So finding something out this way is a chore. There's a great transport company KAS Transport out of upstate NY that travels all over the country delivering performance boats, so shipping or bringing something in is not a big deal. ..and certainly a helluva lot cheaper than driving 300-3,000mi to PU up something.

I would never be that immersed in OCs to consider it, but there may be an opportunity for someone who could make the upgrades to the HYPR to make them Grade-A. There's a cluster of about 20 new ones of various models I could point someone to...

Thanks agin - I appreciate the thought and consideration. Cheers.

Jim

j-b-f: 'No farther than you can swim' is also a primary rule for kitesurfers. ...and it's a real slog if you are also trying to save your kit. Luckily, most of us kite in side/on winds. ...it's the flipping current that can be a problem.

#8 Sat, 03/06/2010 - 6:08am

I am aurprised Fuserider has not chimed in. Didn't he have some inventory left over on the East Coast- used and new ? More then $1,000 but you get what you pay for and paddling alone in cold water.... make the extra investment. .

#9 Sat, 03/06/2010 - 9:58am

....digging, I found/bought a HURRICANE, used ten times, and should have it here in a couple of weeks. I gather it is a tick light in volume for me, but I expect to use it mostly on flat water. I suspect this hull would rate 'acceptable for newbie' on the approval meter.

I also want to thank www.paddlingpromotions.com for posting a rigging primer for the H-1 and Rambo for some videos. There will be a lot of self-taught going on here ..the instructions and videos should be quite helpful. Cheers.

Jim

#10 Tue, 03/09/2010 - 3:02am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.190 seconds.