Mantra 1-man?? pros, cons??

Found a Mantra OC-1 on craigslist......can I get some reviews....is it a good boat?? Flat water, or surf?? Does it have a weight limiit. I'm 190 and someone told me it's for 250lbs and over......

Submitted by wahinehoewa'a on Tue, 10/12/2010 - 2:19pm

i have a mantra i picked up about 6 mos. ago as my first oc-1. keep in mind now that i am a novice paddler weighing 155lbs. i found the mantra to be pretty decent in the surf but i had a really hard time in the flats. the boat is a really good trainer IMO and if you can find a good deal on it and its in good shape id say go for it, but it is not going to be super competitive. good luck!

#1 Tue, 10/12/2010 - 5:27pm

you know the old saying its man not the canoe. we have this old race canoe from the 60's in our shed, that to this day still goes out all the time. but on the other hand it shure helps to have a top of the line one. check out this

http://www.outriggerconnection.com/history.php

#2 Wed, 10/13/2010 - 12:07am

When it is honking out there, this is the best canoe to be on. Designed by Mana Ama Brent Bixler and Karel Sr., if you find a carbon one, snap it up fast, for you can't beat the quality of construction. The canoe will pick up bumps very easily, but really comes alive in 25+ knot winds and steep waves. On flat days, move as far forward as possible and pop it more to maintain the glide. For the paddler over 180 pounds, this is an excellent choice for catching more bumps using less effort.

#3 Wed, 10/13/2010 - 9:38am

i bought an all-white/teal-ama mantra about a year ago as my first canoe for only 600 bucks. i am also 155 pounds, but 6' 2". the canoe is actually meant for paddlers over 200 pounds, but is a great training canoe. the mantra surfs super well, but is very slow in flats. the ama is easy to fly (i was able to fly it for over 20+ seconds on a wave without digging my paddle into the water. the front iako that connects to the ama is super tricky to get positioned right. but once you get to know the canoe better, it gets easier. the mantra also steers very well. if the canoe is under 1500, definitely buy it

#4 Wed, 10/13/2010 - 10:26pm

This past summer, there was a container full of brand new Pueo OC-1 canoes that left for Australia from Hawaii. Also being shipped in the same container was an old Mantra, in the form of a surfski called the Matrix, which had done the Molokai several times all under four (4) hours. The owner and paddler of this ski, with the Mantra hull, is a Surf Lifesaver instructor and paddling coach, who really enjoys paddling it, expecially in big water. This now makes it his second Matrix surfski he owns in Australia, which is probably for his son? The hull is over 22 ft. long, so it has the waterline to overcome any constraining flat water conditions. Buying the used Mantra, you also get an additional bonus of being able to modify the cockpit and converting it into a surfski to take on the latest Epic and Fenn surfskis.

#5 Mon, 10/18/2010 - 10:06am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.127 seconds.