Marker on Fibreglass craft

Quick question,

I have been peeling off the old manky stickers on my glass Millenium, and was going to hand draw some things like a stylised Fenn logo.

I was planning on just using a black Sharpie permanent marker. Are there any forseeable problems with doing this?

Submitted by braz on Tue, 03/16/2010 - 11:19am

No but if the gelcoat is somewhat oxidized or faded, the marker is gonna go into the 'porosity' of the gelcoat and you probably will not be able to wipe it off if you change your mind down the road. If the the gelcoat is fresh, your marker will wipe clean with acetone, Best in either case to wax first.

Also sharpies, even though permanent still fade away. Much faster if immersed. Maybe use those posca pens ?

Never tried them, but seem like might be a better choice.

http://www.fiberglasshawaii.com/resins/colorants/posca/posca.html

aloha,
pog

#1 Tue, 03/16/2010 - 11:52am

I have used the Posca pens on surf boards and haven't had issues with the fading and you can personalize to the best of your artistic abilities with them. great product! but I dont know how they will react on gel coat.

#2 Tue, 03/16/2010 - 12:54pm

Braz, Dean Gardiner (the Aussie Distro for Fenn, makes then local also) lives at Manly near you, he will have original Fenn stickers. Contact him here dean@oceanpaddler.com

He may also be able to give you a few paddling tips..... although he has only won Molokai 9 times ...hehehe

Cheers Rambo

#3 Tue, 03/16/2010 - 2:10pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.186 seconds.