Max HR determination

I got the HR monitor for Christmas and have just started to work my training around it. As I've been reading about HR zones, resting, max HR, etc. I'm finding that to determine your max HR for the sport you are doing is the most beneficial. I've been using a calculated value based on my age, fitness level, resting HR, etc. For those of you who train using HR zones, what did you do to determine your max HR? It's winter and COLD where I am on the eastern US right now. I'm training on an erg w/ a paddle adapter. I was thinking about doing a 5 minute warm-up or so...then put the resistance up to the highest setting...and BLOW it out while checking for my max HR. Any better ideas? So far, training w/ science and HR zones has seemed to improve my endurance. Who knows. I'm doing longer, endurance pieces as well as sprint/interval work to hopefully increase my LT.

Submitted by drewp on Tue, 02/23/2010 - 3:41am

This prolly goes without saying but..Maximal Heart Rate stress tests take your heart to the highest beats per minute that your heart can sustain. In other words, be smart, be safe. These tests are best performed with trained people around who know how to use a defibrillator. OK. Now a pretty standard format would be to start, like you say, with a 5-15 minute warm up then step up the resistance in 2-3 minute increments until your heart rate plateaus, bring down the intensity to about 60-70% of that last max effort for 3 minutes then crank it one more time. That last bout should give you the highest number and is your MHR. When you are doing the increases in resistance, it is easier using the HR you got from the formula to set targets. For example: after warm up go for 65% of calculated max, then 75%, 85% and so on. Hint: make sure you are fully rested, recovered and fed (2 hrs prior) in order to get the best and most accurate reading. Enjoy!

#1 Tue, 02/23/2010 - 11:53am

Run uphill as fast as you can and when you collapse and faint you have reach your max HR.

#2 Tue, 02/23/2010 - 12:22pm

Do about six lines of coke in under 60 minutes. Next, have your friend take your HR.

You're welcome.

#3 Tue, 02/23/2010 - 12:26pm

Defibrilator?

#4 Tue, 02/23/2010 - 8:20pm

Hiro's got it right. Way higher than you'll ever hit in the canoe.

#5 Mon, 03/01/2010 - 6:26am

Wow ! Jibofo, I will assume no responsibility for this test !
drew p, if you go that way there should be a doctor near you, ready to bring you back to life if needed !

#6 Mon, 03/01/2010 - 12:06pm

Aaah, no worries, when I feel the ticker going a little awry, I just give myself a "precordial thump" to set things straight again...get the timing back on!

#7 Mon, 03/01/2010 - 1:22pm

Race. Or 4x400m sets. Last set should be close to max. Retest in 4-6 weeks.

#8 Fri, 03/12/2010 - 8:04pm

Best to get one ekg at the same time. So get hooked up while you run. Also note, that most trained athletes require a different protocol from the every day garden variety one given to most people. Remember the Jim Fixx Syndrome? So go have it done professionally and tell them you are an athlete, so they use the proper protocol.

#9 Sat, 03/13/2010 - 8:26am

there's a calculator on here that seems pretty accurate for me.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm?age=34&mhr=&rhr=54&whr=&ltz=60&lhr=&u...

just enter age, resting heart rate, and the desired percentage you want to work at. then hit the calculate button.

#10 Wed, 03/17/2010 - 7:15pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.184 seconds.