Na Wahine

Kona winds for Sunday, dropping tide. Anybody's race?

Submitted by MikeA on Wed, 09/22/2010 - 12:05pm

Potentially. It is always said, and I think rightfully so, that once you are in contention for the top 3 (and perhaps top 5), it may depend on who has the perfect race and that any of those have a chance of crossing first.

I think we all know who the top local contenders are. Based on the video clip posted here a few days ago, looks like the Aussies are sending a crew that has the potential to be in the mix. What other crews are coming from out of state who might have a chance of battling in the top 5 (or top 10)?

#1 Wed, 09/22/2010 - 2:58pm

kona's? looks like light trades is in the forecast

#2 Wed, 09/22/2010 - 7:22pm

NAC, Tahitians, Kai Opua from BI.

#3 Thu, 09/23/2010 - 10:37am

What would be considered the best conditions for Na Wahine as far as surf and wind direction, and tide?

#4 Thu, 09/23/2010 - 5:42pm

The rules should be changed to allow paddlers under 18 to race the Channel. Perhaps fourteen might be an ideal minimum age? While they are young and motivated, our kids need the experience in order to develop into world class paddlers ready to take on the competition when they are adults.

#5 Fri, 09/24/2010 - 5:30am

the problem with that is a lot of high school fall sports are in mid season when the molokai races are held, a lot of paddlers in the islands are multisport athletes, and for a high school athlete to train for their respective sport and then find time between classes and homework to train together would be pretty tough to do. the ILH who turns out fantastic paddlers has a rule that was explained to me very clearly by 2 different athletic directors, that any student athlete that wishes to participate in the upcoming ILH canoe paddling season CANNOT get into a 6 man canoe until the start date of ILH paddling which is set for November 1st this year. the ILH has another rule that some get confused with, that durring the ILH paddling season, any participants also cannot compete in different leagues for example the na opio races. hopefully the training these kids get in summer clubs and high school will help them develope enough? but the rules the league has in place really limit the paddlers.

#6 Fri, 09/24/2010 - 10:01pm

Only if you play football, you can't participate in any other sport during football season. But no problem for volley ball or cross country athletes, for you most certainly can paddle for a world championship, perhaps, since it is a different sport? Maybe? But check with your principal first, for most coaches have different and conflicting interpretations of the ILH Outside Participation Rule.

#7 Fri, 09/24/2010 - 11:27pm

It is sad that there is no news coverage for this race.

It appears this year there are many stories and plenty of drama to cover.

#8 Sat, 09/25/2010 - 4:10am

Maybe the gals have to innovate and come up with there own style of race instead of following the same format as the mens? Allow unlimited canoes, unlimited equipment, teenage racers, different date, start and finishline to generate media coverage? The Na Wahine is not sanctioned by OHCRA, so it is free to really innovate and come up with a new approach to outrigger racing. Do some research and find out what attracts potential major sponsors? Fashion and technology sells, so maybe time to tap those paddlers involved in the marketing and advertising industries for ideas on attracting the big buck sponsors? Attracting one or two major sponsors in these tough economic times will definitely insure that the gals get more than their fair share of the media coverage.

#9 Sat, 09/25/2010 - 9:26am

If the Honolulu Advertiser was still around, Dayton would have had different stories on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, AND Sunday. He knew alot of the players in the paddling community. The only Na Wahine coverage I saw this year was a story about the Beachgirls the other day which almost read like a repeat of the E Lau Hoe story.

#10 Sat, 09/25/2010 - 3:37pm

There are 3 Australian Wahine teams racing that I am aware of , AOCRA (Australia) that won Hamilton Island and are a mix of Girls from lots of local clubs , Southport yacht club (Surfers paradise) all from the one Gold Coast club and 2nd at Hamilton Island, and a Ladies masters team that includes Lisa Curry that was formed after Hamilton Island. My apologies if there were others I missed. I hope that both the open age teams are in the race for the win. Lats

#11 Sat, 09/25/2010 - 3:41pm

What about the Canadians? They won Kona right? If It's calm....they get plenty strong paddlers.

#12 Sat, 09/25/2010 - 4:22pm

koacanoe--as a high school volleyball coach, with two to two and a half hours practice daily, games, homework, etc...where do these kids find the time to train outside of their respective sports? I think it would be great to have younger paddlers compete, but they would have to train for that without any other sports conflicting...IMO

#13 Sat, 09/25/2010 - 5:36pm

kickbacmaui: Main thing is the kids have the opportunity to paddle in this great race and not have to wait until they are grown up. Maybe those gals who chose kayaking over volleyball or cross country or club soccer or club basketball would be in shape and ready to race tomorrow? Anyhow, I can't see how any coach of a different sport would deny any player the chance to paddle tomorrow if given the opportunity, especially if is not a violation of the league rules.

#14 Sat, 09/25/2010 - 7:42pm

Good luck to all teams.........but especially Team Australia.......sad to hear you guys speaking of little coverage.....if its any consolation the Port Macquarie News and Prime TV have embraced our girl, Lauren.......thanks to Ocean Paddler TV for the live web cast.......we'll be tuning in tomorrow morning at 3:30am for sure................over here in Oz we get a carton of beer, fire up the barbeque & watch our car races or rugby games.....whats the convention for watching canoe races?.............I guess it can be the same, for simplicity's sake.....hehehe

#15 Sat, 09/25/2010 - 11:22pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.355 seconds.