need help with my Scorpius setup

Can anybody help me?
I have just bought a Scorpius and have just come back from an 8 k paddle.
Even tho I have the ama set on the highest setting I still feel as tho I am fighting it all the time
It feels as tho the ama wants to lift out of the water all the time
Should I bend the iako a little?
Or do I just have poor technique
Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Wigg

Submitted by wigg on Thu, 04/01/2010 - 2:22pm

How exactly do you have it rigged? Left-most (outer) holes and bottom hole on rear iako? If so, you probably just are getting used to it. I have a Scorpius and it is my first one-man. When I first started I'd huli all the time on those settings. Now I only huli in rough conditions, and rarely. The two biggest things for me was lots of time paddling and when I learned to relax.

I would not bend the iakos at all in any cirumstances. Did you buy it new? Email Kai or Tom if you think there's a problem with the iakos. They've provided very good support for me.

#1 Thu, 04/01/2010 - 3:07pm

Totally agree with slbrth about not bending the iakos and about getting used to a new canoe.

Don't have a Scorpius, but paddle a Zephyr, which has a somewhat similar ama setup. Two things to remember (as slbrth mentioned):

The farther the ama is from the canoe, the more stable (and slower) the canoe will be.

The deeper you bury the back iako into the ama, the more stable (and slower) the canoe will be.

#2 Thu, 04/01/2010 - 3:20pm

The highest setting? You mean the furthest from the water? That would be least stable. You want the back iako in all the way, if you find it too tippy. Like what slbrth said.

#3 Thu, 04/01/2010 - 3:21pm

Thanks for the advice
The front iako is set closest to the boat and the back iako is set in the lower hole
Maybe I need to change the front setting

Thanks for the tips

Cheers

WIgg

#4 Thu, 04/01/2010 - 3:43pm

My Scorpius has 3 adjustment points. Two holes for both front and rear iako on the boat and then two holes for the rear iako going into the ama. For most stable you want both iakos in the port (left) hole on the boat and the rear iako in the bottom hole of the ama. Seems like you'd always want the iakos in the same hole on the boat - either port or starboard - so the ama is straight. Maybe there are reasons to rig it at an angle?

#5 Thu, 04/01/2010 - 3:52pm

Back in the day sometimes people would rig six mans that way, I tink. More stable? Maybe koacanoe or one of the other more experienced guys will chime in on that.

#6 Thu, 04/01/2010 - 4:38pm

You want both iakos set in the same hole on a scorpius. Moving them to the left hole wont really make the boat any slower but will make the ama a little bit harder to lift off of the water but also more stable, which is what you want. And yes, use the lowest hole on the ama. You just need miles, miles, and more miles. Or should I say K's, K's, and more K's.

#7 Thu, 04/01/2010 - 5:46pm

Tom and Kai tell me the same thing, when in doubt....
all the way out (iako's to the left most hole)
all the way up (back ama peg the highest point).

easy way to remember....

aloha

#8 Fri, 04/02/2010 - 9:54am

Yeah! I remember the days when paddlers would beach their one-man's so they could run up to the highway and bend the tubes between the railings or utility poles. But that was a long time ago. Now a days, everything is more simple with all the angles, height and adjustments being predetermined by the designer after hours and hours of testing and evaluation. So all you got to do is make sure your okole is in the exact location where the designer mean't it to be and work on your technique. As you gain familiarity with the canoe, you can experiment making tippier or faster adjustments. But remember, Kai has tricked out his canoe to the max, where probably most of us would huli immediately after taking one hard stroke?

#9 Fri, 04/02/2010 - 12:21pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.194 seconds.