New Cable Installation

Aloha Gang,
I am installing new cables on my OC-1, is there a particular "crimper" tool that is used? I have a Thomas & Betts crimper that I use for electrical terminations but I notice that it's not making a clean "crimp". I know that it will be covered with heat shrink but I prefer a much cleaner finish! Mahalo for the input!

Submitted by 1AUKAI808 on Thu, 05/06/2010 - 9:33am

go to a fishing supply store, they sell the type of crimper you need. when you crimp the sleeve make sure you use the the round "o" part of the crimper, not the part that will crimp the sleeve in the middle. ask the guy behind the counter and tell him you're gonna crimp stranded cable and he should know and explain it to you. you can also go mccully bike, they sell crimpers in their fishing department, ask for rick t. he'll explain it to you. any problems just ask me. good luck. oh yeah, better if you know someone who get one boat and deep sea fishes cuz garanz he get one crimper, use his cuz the crimper ain't that cheap esp. since you're only going to use it once a year or so.

#1 Thu, 05/06/2010 - 3:03pm

Thank you Lilo...appreciate the kokua!

#2 Fri, 05/07/2010 - 1:01am

If the nico presses are 1/16" or less you can use vice grips if you have to ... bigger than that you can make work but not gonna be strong / safe.

Think of the nico press as an 8 you need to squash it top to bottom not in the middle out. Shooting for a round cross section when done.

Use a thimble too, not just cable on the connection.

Good cheep insurance to double each connection. Use the first one against the thimble, the second one with the 'tail' just inside it.

DO NOT use shrink tubing as it just accelerates the corrosion process + you cannot see it.

aloha,
pog

#3 Fri, 05/07/2010 - 8:54am

Thank you onno!!

#4 Sat, 05/08/2010 - 1:21am

My buddy that works on sailboat rigging recommended using a "swage" tool, as it creates a stronger connection. Is that over doing it? Also what about the cable material? I used stainless steel airplane cable and nickel/brass crimps.

#5 Sat, 05/08/2010 - 8:30am

Using the right tool is never overdoing it : )

Those little ones ( 1/16" you can get away with not having one ... But thats it.

Tool here, not too expensive to have.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catal...

The next stp up is bolt cutter looking ones that are super fat to se but way more money.

aloha,
pog

edit to add ... If you buy this tool ...switch out the bolts to grade 8 and grease the threads for better performance and longer life.

#6 Sat, 05/08/2010 - 9:15am

Ok Guys....again, mahalo for all the help!!
Kevin Kahikina

#7 Sat, 05/08/2010 - 9:16am

Zuma,

Where did you purchase your s/s cable & brass crimps?

#8 Sat, 05/08/2010 - 9:19am

island paddler used to carry the kit, not sure if they still do. art nelson, the guy who does the sail and rigging for boats has the stuff you need and pretty much any fishing supply store. try any one of those, whichever is closest and convenient.

#9 Sat, 05/08/2010 - 7:24pm

Check with any of the local OC-1 manufacturers as they have them for their canoes. You can either get the whole setup (s/s cables, brass crimps, shrink tubing) from them or you can have them professionally done for you. Probably just about the same cost to buy a good set of crimpers.

Kamanu had the HVA New Years Fundraiser where they were doing cable replacements along with other services to get ready for the OC-1/OC-2 racing season.

Outrigger Connection also has the kits for their canoes and can easily be used for other manufacturers as well. You can bring your canoe to them and they can do it for you while you wait, but better to call to make sure they aren't too busy.

I found and got some brass crimps/sleeves from City Mill a while back. Some people get the double copperlock sleeves from the fishing departments/stores which can work.

As for shrink tubing, you can get clear ones which allows you to see the sleeve connections and if they are corroding or not.

#10 Sun, 05/09/2010 - 1:08am

I bought the cable and crimps at http://www.webriggingsupply.com , the swage I got at West Marine

#11 Sun, 05/09/2010 - 9:52am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.170 seconds.