New HIKO canoe available for demo

G'day everyone, KiaKaha canoes and paddles is proud to announce that we have a new canoe available, the HIKO (lightning).
For info please email, info@kiakahacanoesandpaddles.com or phone Me at 808-5543216. to arrange a demo on Oahu please contact Heath Hemmings at 808-7798977.

Aloha,

Maui

AttachmentSize
HIKO.jpg1.27 MB

Submitted by Maui on Mon, 06/14/2010 - 1:50pm

Clean lines ... looks real nice Maui.

Hope everything getting sorted out for ya.

aloha,
pog

#1 Mon, 06/14/2010 - 4:06pm

I know of several who have demoed the boat. All had very favorable comments. I have not yet tried it but I will. I have seen the boat up close and the workmanship is flawless.

#2 Tue, 06/15/2010 - 10:02am

Canoe design "looks" nice.

What's the difference between the Hiko and Wainui?
What is its length and width?
Is there a recommended weight range for the Hiko?
Has anyone who has paddled/raced it, have any comments about it compared to the other popular canoes? (I'm not in Hawaii so cannot try it out).

thx...pn

#3 Tue, 06/15/2010 - 12:08pm

Some comments from the Australian dealer re Hiko v Wainui:

The Hiko is longer than the Wainui - the Wainui is 20'10" long and 15" Wide
The Hiko has a sharpened up entry, took out a little tail rocker and moved the cockpit forward, resulting in a canoe with effortless acceleration on the bumps and great glide in the flats.
Slight changes to the tail of the ama were also made to improve the release.
The Wainui is ideal for bigger water and is a very forgiving surfing canoe
Hiko great for Coastal waters & Flat water
The Wainui is also suited to the bigger paddler due to more volume through the hull.

Hope this helps.

#4 Tue, 06/15/2010 - 12:52pm

demoed the hiko,personally i liked it., i really like the way it surfed and the way it moved on side swells. had to push a LITTLE harder than pueo to get on ,but once on it surfed very well (if not better), the control and stability of the boat i also found to be a plus, comfortable yet stable even when rigged tippy. these are just my personal opinons.

#5 Wed, 06/16/2010 - 10:17am

Boat kind of reminds me of the Pueo with a more conventional ama. And yes the footwells have been moved forward about 3" or so compared to the Wainui. Finish is very good like any custom made boat. I plan to try the Hiko when it becomes available. Perhaps the Wainui on bombing days and the Hiko on other days. As an aside, I have seen women in the 120lb range enjoying the Wainui on good surfing days.

#6 Mon, 07/12/2010 - 2:13am

I have also had the opportunity to paddle the Hiko a couple of times over this last week and am very impressed with the comfort and overall performance. I agree with 'hasto's' comments above and feel this is an accurate explanation of the canoe. I would go further to say the Hiko also surf's and handles well in rougher water (went outside of mokulua's this week).
I have been paddling a Wainui for the last 3 years and like it very much. However, I now feel the Hiko could be a better option for me because of the modifications that seem to be beneficial overall. Another huge benefit is that the Hiko is very well priced and the delivery time from ordering the canoe to receiving the canoe is relatively short.
Try the demo...you will be impressed.

#7 Thu, 06/17/2010 - 9:08pm

Had a brief run in flats....smooth......comfortable.....balanced......can't wait for open water!!!! Worth the wait if you're trying to make a decision!!! Waiting to see it perform Sunday....Go Tyrus!!!!!

#8 Fri, 06/18/2010 - 6:55am

The Hiko felt great on a Hawaii Kai run the other day. When the bumps were big and fast the Hiko connected well and surfed into the next swell. When the run flattened out just past Diamond Head the canoe still had a great glide. I liked how the ama did not track at all, and actually allowed for great manuvering while chasing bumps. I want to try the demo again in the flat water before I make any decision to get one.

#9 Sat, 06/26/2010 - 4:16pm

Got to do a downwinder on the HIKO (kalapaki to salt pond, wind 15mph, small S swell, on the high tide), may I remind that I havent been paddling much, if lucky 1-2 x a week, but here is my observation.
With the wind on ama side boat cut through alot of the chop, felt a little tippy then played with seat adjustment and kinda got alittle more comfy. Once turned downwind the boat started taking off, had to work alittle to get on bump but that goes for all the boats i've got to ride, but once HIKO got on she had a really good release, the surfing was really fast (up to 11mph), connected really well from bump to bump, she dove alittle but popped out really well, drains well also. Once we got to med to smaller bumps & more organized she really turned on, had a blast after that, overall what I liked the most was that I didnt have to work hard while on the bump, so I could catch a breath and get ready for the next bump. My partner that day who usually beats me pretty bad, I got to stick with side by side & he was on the wainui.

#10 Mon, 07/05/2010 - 9:42pm

Aloha Maui, is Maui gonna get a demo to sample over here?

#11 Mon, 07/05/2010 - 10:24pm

Got to try the Hiko for a few days. It felt very responsive on the waves and the ama was easy to fly. With less volume in the nose, it seemed to knife through chop but it did nose under a bit on the larger stuff. The drain wells worked very well.

#12 Thu, 04/07/2011 - 10:43pm

first off, let me say that i'm not an elite paddler or even a racer. i just like to paddle, and we'll leave it at that. i have owned many boats, and i just tried the Hiko. the boat is unreal. during this calender year of 2010, i have owned a pueo and a scorpius xm. recently, i have sold the pueo and currently ride a xm. i had the opportunity to time trial all these boats on the same course, and from personal experience, i have to say, for me, I had the fastest time on a Hiko. the course is a flat water course, and i was very impressed at the glide of the Hiko. similar to a pueo, but to me, is seemed to run a little better, felt a little smoother, and the seating is more comfortable. now, i say this because i'm not a small guy, i weigh around 210lbs. conditions of the course that i rode typically was the same, flat and no wind. its in a harbor/slash river type area, and the first boat i rode was the pueo, 50 mins, scorpius xm 48 mins, wainui 45 mins, and hiko 44 min. i figured i must have miss timed myself on the pueo, so i tried it out again, and still 49 min. now i'm not saying the Hiko is the best boat out there, this is just my personal time trial i did on 5 consecutive days on the same course. for me i had the fastest time on the Hiko. also, for those who say that the Hiko is for small to med surf and the wainui is for larger days, i say, try out the Hiko on a day that its nuking out there, and hold on. i did a kalapaki to poipu run and the boats surfs crazy in all conditions. it felt very loose and had the ability to run and jump from one wave to the next without much effort. let it be known that the waves at this time were stacking up close to one another. it did dive a litte, but as soon as you think your going to pearl, it jumps up and just goes. for me, the pueo tracked right alot, and i had a hard time surfing out to the left, the Hiko had no problem with this, and i was able to go where ever the waves seemed to be. so for me that was my experience with the Hiko, give Maui a call and try it out, and experience it for yourself.

#13 Tue, 08/03/2010 - 8:35pm

Maui is the Hiko canoe comeing to NZ??? going by Scoops personal take in this canoe it will suit our conditions.

#14 Wed, 08/04/2010 - 10:05am

Kia ora fob

Check with my dad Kris @ Moana Nui. He is trying to get a feel for the numbers of people who are interested before he imports some canoes.
And i think it will suit the conditions down there very well.
Maui

#15 Sun, 08/08/2010 - 3:56pm

OOPS

#16 Thu, 04/07/2011 - 10:44pm

Please contact me via my website for details.

Maui

#17 Tue, 08/10/2010 - 12:09pm

?

#18 Mon, 03/07/2011 - 6:01pm

Now on the Big Island
808-652-0500
James

#19 Sat, 10/30/2010 - 9:21pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.204 seconds.