New Race

Found this on facebook yesterday. Since there is an ongoing discussion about unlimited boats I thought I'd share.

HVA has nothing to do with organizing this race but we like it none the less.

Submitted by HVA on Tue, 12/28/2010 - 10:44am

Wouldn't it be cool if the plan all along was to have a 2012 race?
I hope it ends up June 2012.

#71 Tue, 01/11/2011 - 9:59am

Looks like it's still set for March. For me personally, I don't see them bending to preferred race dates by anyone once the race date is set. Me thinks that 1 years' notice is enough time to set your priorities.... But, June would be nice....

#72 Tue, 01/11/2011 - 12:29pm

I have a feeling that the race organizers had someone leaning pretty hard on them to get the dates move to a year from now.

I hardly think that anyone that is willing to put up that sort of $$$ for a race is going to move "their" race because some posters are unhappy with the tradewinds schedule.

FWIW I think this has the potential to be an excellent and memorable race, unfortunately, there's always gonna be somebody unhappy about something regarding it.

#73 Tue, 01/11/2011 - 12:43pm

I can't believe there is so much whining-
such a joke.
shut up and paddle or don't paddle- your choice.

#74 Tue, 01/11/2011 - 6:04pm

ah...there it is...no conversation about paddling is ever complete without somebody saying the obligatory "shut up and paddle" saying. I don't really see that much whining going on, just a bunch of wishful suggestions. Some tough decisions will have to be made of course on what races to peak for the elite bunch.

#75 Wed, 01/12/2011 - 9:42pm

Aloha, I have seen a lot of grumbling going on in this forum and I see the different perspectives that each person may have, but my concern is the time in which it will be held and where it is held as well. Addressing the first question of when it will be held, I agree that during June the winds are favorable, but that is right smack dab in the middle of regatta season and it is in my opinion bad timing. As for the second question that I have is where it will be held. I agree that it is a great course and that Maui probably has the best race course anywhere, but have there been any talks with the association on Maui about hosting a race on that island? I know that there is the Pailolo Challenge which is also a great race which is held by a Maui canoe club and from what I have heard another Maui canoe club will be hosting a three day event called the Maui Nui which circum navigates the three islands of Maui County (Maui, Moloka’i and Lana’i) and from what I hear it has some of the most epic surfing conditions around. The buzz that has been going around is that the race will start at Maliko Bay go 35 mile to Moloka’i and then on the second day the race will go from Moloka’i go 40 miles to Hulopoe Lana’i and then from Hulopoe Lana’i and go 22 miles back to Maui; I hope this race is a go. Does the Olamau race take away from possible events that canoe clubs on Maui will be hosting during the upcoming year such as the ones that I mentioned earlier? I hope that it all works out and know when is affected negatively in any way especially for the canoe clubs on Maui.
Does anyone know more about this Maui Nui Race such as, When, How much will it cost and what do the paddlers receive for participating (prizes or awards, incentives). Is there someone from Maui who knows or can answer these questions or point me to a website where I can get more information about this race.

#76 Mon, 02/28/2011 - 4:55pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.344 seconds.