The Next Technolgy Leap: Liquid Glass Surfaces

Assuming this article isn't just hype (I'm not sure about breathing this stuff), this would make a wicked canoe finish.

Submitted by kdkoors on Tue, 02/02/2010 - 12:53pm

Thanks KD for putting that one up ...

While on the subject of next leap, why not look back to nature.

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20040412020237data_trunc_sys.shtml

Dare I do this for my next rudder ???

aloha,
pog

#1 Tue, 02/02/2010 - 2:17pm

Mahalo kdkoors and onnopaddle. That's some bad-ass stuff to read about!

The future is NOW! Screw flying-cars, I want a glass-coated whale flipper!

#2 Tue, 02/02/2010 - 3:37pm

you know what's even crazier, they were testing flippers in a wind tunnel.

where's my old buddy who insisted scientists never test water born objects in wind tunnels? dammit.

#3 Tue, 02/02/2010 - 4:21pm

ok ok so im not to crazy sure about the design on the second article but from what it sounds like could those said designs be taken and used in say a paddle? help increase the paddle "speed" without loosing "lift" pressure and make it easier to pull harder?

#4 Tue, 02/02/2010 - 7:00pm

Even more than that can you make an exact replica of a fish to the scale of a canoe? That's where the money is.

#5 Tue, 02/02/2010 - 7:47pm

The thing I believe is,

Science can somewhat replicate these things ( fins. skin surfaces, etc. but there is not evoloved, senses and intelligence controlling them in place.

Not that you guys are asking but I also believe asymmetry is better ... Certanly in nature it rules.

philosophically,
pog

#6 Tue, 02/02/2010 - 10:32pm

I did a quick search for the authors of the whale fin article and they've done a lot of work on understanding how the tubercles function. Several papers and conference proceedings in some decent journals. I haven't read any of the articles to see exactly what they're doing, but I'd believe there's a good reason for the bumps to be there. One thing nature is very good at is efficiency. For anyone interested here's a bunch of articles by the authors of the whale fin study:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=Miklosovic+whale&hl=en&btnG=Search&a...

You should be able to view the abstract for most of the articles, some you might be able to see the full article but probably not.

jc9_0 said:

you know what’s even crazier, they were testing flippers in a wind tunnel.
where’s my old buddy who insisted scientists never test water born objects in wind tunnels? dammit.

At the speeds most objects move through the water, there's no difference between air and water because compressibility doesn't come into play. Yes, you need to make sure you scale things correctly since the viscosity is different, but that's pretty trivial. If you want to read up on incompressible flow here's the Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incompressible_flow

There are tons of fluid mechanics texts out there, but this is actually a very good introduction if at a bit more advanced level:
http://www.amazon.com/Incompressible-Flow-Ronald-L-Panton/dp/0471593583

#7 Wed, 02/03/2010 - 10:42am

@Tpop
Don't know if applying that concept to a paddle would work, but maybe the rudder, put some nicks (tubercles) on the aft of the rudder.

The row of tubercles sheers the flow of water and redirects it into the scalloped valley between each tubercle, causing swirling vortices that roll up and over the flipper to actually enhance lift properties.

What about ama, wet surf area of haul?

Thanks for that pog...

#8 Wed, 02/03/2010 - 11:21am

Shouldn't have much effect on a paddle since it's not functioning as a wing generally…

Joe, I think you would want to put the tubercles on the front of the rudder to gain any benefit, and if done right there should be one since a rudder is behaving much more like a wing than a paddle.

On the liquid glass coating, it seems like it will help make boats more durable to some things like UV and sanitary (great for those SoCal paddlers after a storm!), but it seems like it won't alter construction techniques much unless I'm missing something. You'd still need gel coat or whatever your mold release winds up being and this would be applied after the fact as a protectant. Probably missing something there. Still, sounds pretty cool although there's a lot of marketing hype in that writeup.

#9 Wed, 02/03/2010 - 11:54am

and we are going to be eating the stuff ....fab.

R

#11 Wed, 02/03/2010 - 10:30pm

Now if that liquid glass stuff is able to keep them hard to remove bloody water spots from forming on the deck and hull of my canoe, then I'd give it a try. Anyway, let's see what happens Monday (Feb 8) when that winged sail Yankee tri-maran (with a Kiwi skipper) takes on the Swiss catamaran with Yankee made sail. From winged keels to winged sails, these boats travel at 3 times the speed of the wind. (Read today's Star Bulletin for story)

#12 Fri, 02/05/2010 - 12:12pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.219 seconds.