OC-1 Beginner Suggestions?

So basically I'm thinking about getting an OC-1 but not sure what type. I'm pretty new to one man (but yes I have paddled one before) and I did paddle for a regular crew back in the day. So now I'm ready to get back into it. I live on the water in hkai so paddling the marina for sure, and eventually outside (till i get my bearings). Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Submitted by nutinfancy83 on Sun, 01/31/2010 - 1:04pm

Hey Nutinfancy,

You asked a perfectly valid question, but don’t be surprised if you get a bit of sarcasm in response. It’s only because the question has already been asked on this site many times in many different ways. At the end of the day (and this is the thing that everyone is going to say) you have to try out different canoes and see what works best for you.

Now that’s not much guidance and I can guess that the reason you posted your question in the first place is because you wanted a little direction on where to look. Here is a quick (and subjective) view of your options.

There are some things that would help in directing you to an OC1, specifically your weight and height.

Canoes for the smaller person (less than 170lbs):

Fuze & Osprey by Outrigger Connection, Pegasus by Kai Waa, and Hurricane by Maui Fiberglass. The OC canoes will be more tippy, but better suited to ocean swell than the Hurricane. The Hurricane will be more stable, but people often find the seat to be uncomfortable if you are paddling more than an hour. The Hurricane does well in flat water, but not so great for ocean swell. I’ve never paddled a Pegasus, but from what I understand it’s a great open ocean canoe for the smaller person, but not as fast in the flats or as stable as the Hurricane.

Canoes for the medium sized person:

Zephyr by Outrigger Connection, Pueo by Kamanu Composites, and Scorpius XM by Kai Waa (170-200lbs):

All three are regarded as very good canoes. The Pueo has received a whole lot of praise on this website. I’ve been on one and think the Pueo deserves the praise it gets. The Zephyr will feel like the best canoe in the world during a Molo Solo with lots of swell, but it’s not really your friend if your paddling upwind in flat water. Never been on a Scorpius, so others on this site could tell you their impression. If this is your approximate weight range, it’s definitely worth trying all three. The Hurricane will also work well in this weight range.

Canoes for the larger person:

Scorpius XL by Kai Waa, Fusion by Outrigger Connection, and Maa Afi by Pineula Vaa (200+lbs):

Never been on any of these, so others will have to tell you what they think.

These canoes are by no means your only options, they are just some of the more popular boats out there today. My suggestion would be to take a look at used canoes. Chances are, if you stick with it, your likes will change as your skill level improves and a canoe you buy now might not be the one you like a year from now. Oahu has an incredible used market and it’s worth taking advantage of it.

#1 Sun, 01/31/2010 - 6:26pm

This may be the best answer I have ever seen. I like the XM, but agree that you should try each canoe that is in your range (more than once and in different conditions) before you make a decision. However, the used market is really good right now so you might want to take advantage of ay good deal you find and then work your way up to buying a brand new canoe of your dreams in a year or two (trying whatever you can get your hands on along the way). For a demo ride you can contact Outrigger Connection, Kai Waa, Kamanu and the others through their websites.

#2 Sun, 01/31/2010 - 8:34pm

Here`s a nice east coast source for canoes at cost from now till March first.

www.easternoutrigger.blogspot.com

#3 Mon, 02/01/2010 - 3:26am

zebignu,

Thank you for taking the time to help me out and fully answer my question. You were more than helpful. Thank you ALL for your contribution.

#4 Mon, 02/01/2010 - 7:27am

perhaps Keizo could group all these under a header like Boat design/choices then, padlling technique, training tips, paddles.... Then you could search the topic and read up. I can't get the search to work on this site myself and there is so much archived on it.

I do know there is lots of great info on boat choices here on the site you just gotta dig for it.

#5 Mon, 02/01/2010 - 1:01pm

Zebignu - great post and one of those worth saving for future reference. well written.

As for searching you can use google search engine to search on OCpaddler site:
type in something like:
"osprey site:ocpaddler.com"

and that will return any posting with osprey

#6 Mon, 02/01/2010 - 2:00pm

Wow that makes total sense. Lets suggest a boat made here in Hawaii that's shipped to the east coast for sale and then buy it there and have it shipped back to Hawaii. All I have to say is WOW.

#7 Mon, 02/01/2010 - 2:56pm

Makes me miss the good old days of poops, fuze, goto, boataid, ian foo, etc. We must be getting too mellow in our old age.

#8 Mon, 02/01/2010 - 3:17pm

Ta - Da

#9 Mon, 02/01/2010 - 4:06pm

Why did I just start smiling on that first note ???

lol,
pog

#10 Mon, 02/01/2010 - 4:22pm

Holy Sh%t.

That is bad ass. Where do I get a canoe like that? It makes the Pueo look scary slow.

Also I am looking for some HGH. Can you ask that paddler if he has any ideas?

#11 Mon, 02/01/2010 - 4:57pm

now onto paddleboards

Ian, if you are reading this, can you elaborate on the forward skeg ?

aloha,
pog

#12 Mon, 02/01/2010 - 5:05pm

by now you probably got your one man,but for anyone else checking this out for advice,may I suggest a PineUla Vantage full throttle by Papu Williams.I was in the same situation as you,paddled all my life,but never one man in Hawaii,and used to one man in Tahiti only.Here in Hawaii,we can do down wind runs,surfing the wind waves,it's a blessing.In Tahiti,the winds often change on you,but here it's way more predictable.Anyways, after trying others(except the Pueo,which I was told is really good,but too much money for what I want to do with it)I finally bought the aforementioned PineUla,as a surfer,this wa'a is another surfing tool for me.Don't know anything about racing it,but if you want a fun,stable,nimble wa'a,for downwind sessions,try one out.Just stay away from China built ones.

#13 Thu, 07/01/2010 - 9:26am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.167 seconds.