OC-2

My girlfriend and I are looking at buying an OC-2. We are both around 135 pds and want something for open ocean and racing but still stable enough for our teenager girls to use. What's the best choice. I am hearing Tempest but have not tried one yet?

Submitted by watergirl808 on Sun, 12/05/2010 - 4:32pm

Aloha!
Click here:

http://www.occanoe.com/waveblade2man.html

#1 Sun, 12/05/2010 - 9:28pm

wow! nice but really top of the price point! almost $1000.00 more? why you think that is?

#2 Mon, 12/06/2010 - 7:34am

For years the first generation two man Honu has served my family outstandingly well. We have raced it, surf it, wiped out on it and also used it as a tanker for picnics and camping. It has been overused, busted up, and replaced with another one recently with new foam seats and performance rudder. Repairs and replacement parts are not a worry, since I just drop it off at John Martin's shop in Kaneohe and it's usually ready for pick up in a couple of days already to go. Unfortunately, used ones are now hard to find, since paddlers are now renewing them with new seats, iako, cables, rudder, and restoring the faded floral cloth overlay. A new standard layup model would probably cost a lot less than the latest generation of two-mans.

#3 Mon, 12/06/2010 - 9:53am

Thank you Koacanoe....if someone is looking for a durable Hawaiian built canoe...John Martin's OC 2 's are great. I have never had any problems with the Naia or the Honus I have purchased from him. John is an originator....he was one of the first on the scene and has always produced canoes that surf well and that do not fall apart. I own a fall apart canoe...but that is a different story.. Made in China. Caveat emptor.

#4 Mon, 12/06/2010 - 5:22pm

OC2's made by John Martin are all and better than have been posted. I am not suggesting who's boat rules, but I would like to put in my 2 cents by saying Tiger Taylors OC2's ain't too shabby. I've raced Mahoe II's from Makai to HK, HK to Magic, Kailua to Heeia. Most times in Mixed OC2 and found March's OC2 to be special. Due diligence is the key word.

#5 Mon, 12/06/2010 - 7:07pm

my paddling partner and i have raced a john martin OC 2 for many years. i have a carbon fiber honu and i can load it onto my truck by myself, it is that light. it is an honest boat. i love how it just goes by itself . as i tell my partner, the boat is doing the steering. john has always been ready to help if repairs are needed, the boat has seen lots of miles and is still looking good. we were the first female OC2 to do the molokai channel. cant say enough good things about the boat and john martin. my advice is try many boats before deciding..

#6 Mon, 12/06/2010 - 10:18pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.253 seconds.