OC2 strength?

Hey,

Pretty new to this sport, my background is Wildwater canoe racing so not that familiar at the equipment just yet.

I have a OC2 and paddle in Ireland, last week we went out in some decent surf and could feel the boat flex a good bit each time on the way out, does anyone know if a OC2 can handle this or is there a danger it could snap? Is it made more for out past the surf break?

I know every boat manufacturer is different some are stronger etc... so a rough idea would be super, FYI the boat is an Allwave Oracle duo, Vinylester resin, carbon hull

Cheers,

Keith

Submitted by Keith Mc on Mon, 08/16/2010 - 12:04pm

What is the core material ? and how thick ? what weight/weave is the carbon? Is the same carbon both sides of the core ? what material is the centre rib and how is it attached to the canoe?

There is always a danger of the surf snapping any canoe and a double amplifies this danger, most Outriggers prefer the "green water" to the "white water" and running with the sea rather than into it .

#1 Tue, 08/17/2010 - 2:09am

Hi Latman,

Thanks for the reply

I aint exactly sure of the construction at all, the whole thing is gelcoated so cant see the weave, I'd imagine its 200gr?? from the hulls rigidity I wouldnt say theres much sandwich in it, my river boat is epoxy resin with Herex sandwich and is way more rigid so its nothing like that. its 17kg without the ama so its a pretty light boat thats why I was worried about breaking it.

I think I'll stop the messing around in the surf from now on, could be an expensive day out!

#2 Tue, 08/17/2010 - 8:30am

Hi Keith - I'm Adam a friend of Dee who helped get the canoe across to you. I raced the same model over in Italy earlier this year - very light. Wouldn't recommend being in the break any longer than you have to, large rolling swells are of course fine but I agree with you, could be an expensive bit of fun in the white stuff.
Good luck.

#3 Wed, 08/18/2010 - 2:51am

Hi Keith,
Here in Europe, Allwave italian built OC's are well known to be on the light side when speaking of strengh.
These are good products, though.
I paddled a tsunami duo a few times. Very smooth and pleasant experience.

You may want to be carefull, even if they're not as expensive as Outrigger Connection stuff, it's still an investment !

In France we also have oxymara's OC2. Quite strong, but heavy, sticky, a pain in the ass in flat waters.

Anyway, a skilled craftsman will always be able to repare the damages. Even ripped in two (hoping you'll never get to that point !)

#4 Mon, 08/23/2010 - 10:36pm

Hi,
I have one of these Allwave craft
They are strong, light and very quick
They are not though made for playing in the surf,especially if it is closing.
They are specifically made for open ocean racing, and are particularly effective when paddling with the wind behind you and you are running with the waves.
They surf extremely well and if you manage to link up the waves they rip!
Pretty good in allround conditions but if you want to have fun in the surf buy a surfboard or else you are going to regret it!
Have fun!
Al

#5 Wed, 09/01/2010 - 1:01am

Given the length and paddlers weight of a 2man, the structural limitations of a sit-on design craft shows up.........very little depth of hull and no gunnls for strength.No bulkheads in the hull either.
Even if playing in the surf is avoided, you need to paddle out through surf and come back in order to paddle "in the open Ocean"
Truth be told....if the boat is not strong, then face the fact.

#6 Wed, 09/01/2010 - 2:38pm

Yep, true.
There are surely limitations but I think they are certainly sound enough to punch through the surf and surf back in.
I have used them in and out of the surf and have yet to break something but if it's closing up it's better to time your exit very well!
I have been hammering mine without any problems(so far!)
I think it's a pretty good canoe.

#7 Wed, 09/01/2010 - 9:23pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.189 seconds.