Open designs at Queen Lili'uokalani race

It looked like there were a lot of open class canoes at the race this past weekend. One in particular caught my eye (photo is from the Waikiki Beach Boys Facebook page) since I think it is a new hull, probably built after the 'Alala since it has the same 'iako system. I think there is also a photo of Luke doing an in depth check out on it.

Just curious how all of the various open class canoes did and any thoughts from people that saw them in person. I saw both Kamanu canoes in photos (Kapa'a and Kawainui), Team Livestrong's 'Alala and I'm sure there were a couple others.

AttachmentSize
new_Livestrong_canoe.jpg165.64 KB

Submitted by anowara on Wed, 09/08/2010 - 1:56am

Not a new va'a. It is the repainted Noa Noa. It was built by Philippe Bernardino a few years ago. They refitted the wais to accommodate their ama and iako.
Tiger

#1 Wed, 09/08/2010 - 6:57am

Thanks Tiger. Did they do something similar to Noa?

Keep us updated on your V3, excited to see the finished canoe.

#2 Wed, 09/08/2010 - 7:50am

Great to see new designs out there, also great to see a Bradley of the more traditional design came in first. Hats off to Team Primo.

#3 Thu, 09/09/2010 - 7:24am

I believe there was 7 or 8 canoes in the open division. Livestrongs latest canoe is an all military green boat. They also raced the alala and the Noa. The Noa noa which used to be all black was lightened up and outfitted to fit the new iako system as well as being repainted all white, this was the boat that the kailua men raced in. Both Kamanu's boats raced as well one with beach boys (kapa'a) and one with Outrigger canoe club (kawainui). All open class boats had to start 5 minutes after to give the spec boats the chance of winning overall (which they did with no problem). Hats off to Primo for absolutely crushing.

#4 Thu, 09/09/2010 - 2:23pm

#5 Thu, 09/09/2010 - 4:06pm

Let's not let ourselves be fooled...........call me (808-443-1180) if you'd like the reason for the 5-min delay.

#6 Thu, 09/09/2010 - 8:24pm

I'm stoked to have spotted the new Livestrong canoe. I heard a few things about it and it sounds like it will be light weight. Also stoked to have taken the Noa Noa for a spin. It's definitely as fast as it looks.

What's this I hear about a 3-man project Mr. Rosehill?

#7 Fri, 09/10/2010 - 1:05am

Can't afford the international call Bill, how about giving us the goss!

#8 Fri, 09/10/2010 - 10:25am

Me too.......!!.......wont help you to know Clarkie.....better if you ask Bill what design he'd recommend for a muddy creek that only floods once a decade...hehehe

#9 Sat, 09/25/2010 - 11:44pm

Just cut outs sent in the mail for a stripper canoe that is ridiculously fast would be nice:o)

But then would I know what to do with them!

#10 Tue, 09/28/2010 - 2:05am

"Build it, and they will come!"

#11 Tue, 09/28/2010 - 11:50am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.186 seconds.