PA'A 'EONO HOE 2011 -- Canoe Designs

Guidelines for 2011 PA'A 'EONO HOE canoe designs are now posted at www.paahawaii.com

Submitted by mkulukul on Wed, 11/17/2010 - 3:20am

Well done Manny.

#1 Wed, 11/17/2010 - 5:37am

Thanks Manny,

aloha,
pog

#2 Wed, 11/17/2010 - 8:03am

:)

#3 Wed, 11/17/2010 - 12:24pm

The Pacific NW Outrigger Racing Canoe Assoc. (covering Washington State, Oregon, Utah, and Montana) passed new rules at their annual meeting yesterday allowing a new "Unlimited Division" canoe to be entered in any and all sanctioned races.

Although the rules aren't LITERALLY unlimited in design, it does allow canoes like the Livestrong and Kamanu boats to be raced officially all season long, in any race.

Some excerpts from the specs:
- The canoe will be made up of 1 hull, 2 'iako, and 1 ama
- The canoe must contain 6 seats
- The canoe must be no shorter than 39 feet, and no longer than 50 feet in length
- The canoe may be any width
- The canoe may be any weight
- The canoe may not have any of the following: No wings, fins, or rudders. No foot blocks, or bracing. No active, or passive mechanical bailing devices.

I don't expect to see many unlimited canoes up here very soon... but at least the future is wide open for us.

#4 Sun, 11/21/2010 - 6:05pm

Good to know there are people with 'Vision'!

#5 Sun, 11/21/2010 - 6:26pm

As I'm sure you already know Bill, Vern H. has just finished building a canoe designed by you, and will be racing it here this upcoming season. It looks like a rocket, and I hear that it's only 225 lbs!

#6 Sun, 11/21/2010 - 8:12pm

Vern is a master craftsman. The hull is designed for straight-away speed, not for turns. It will also surf well. It should inspire anyone interested in speed.

#7 Sun, 11/21/2010 - 8:56pm

@ goto, How many clubs in the PNWORCA do you think will race in the Unlimited Division this upcoming season?

#8 Mon, 11/22/2010 - 5:44am

I guess that depends on how many canoes end up here in time for 6-man season. Right now there's only one that I know of...

#9 Mon, 11/22/2010 - 6:05am

LUCKY!!!

Maybe i move there. Can you heat your water to a more palatable temperature?

#10 Mon, 11/22/2010 - 7:27am

Any width and weight !!! More like it.

Still wondering why no blocks allowed ?

Agree with no mechanized bailers but whats wrong with passive ???

Both are not something that radically alters the hull or would lead to funky alterations. Only helps the the paddlers.

Bill if you are reading this would appreciate to hear your thoughts / insite. Thank you !

Then i'll shut up : )

aloha,
pog

#11 Mon, 11/22/2010 - 10:50am

+1 : why no blocks or bracing ? why no passive bailing device ?

#12 Mon, 11/22/2010 - 11:09am

Goto once again leading by example, keep it up bully.

I'm confused as to why the "no assistance" rules? In sailing canoe we use self bailers, in oc1 and v1 we use foot brace. Why not?

#13 Mon, 11/22/2010 - 11:19am

These rules were written as a "first-step" towards really unlimited designs. There was an effort to keep some similarities with PA'A's specs as well. Nevertheless, the opportunity to make some pretty radical designs now exist, (even without blocks or bracing and/or venturi drains) where last season the only viable options were a Mirage or a Lightning.

#14 Mon, 11/22/2010 - 11:20am

I love turtles... and venturis. But I'll settle for a break your neck fast boat that I'll need to bail occasionally.

An interesting and fairly awesome side effect from this whole unlimited thing is the number of clubs and/or people that are electing to build their own canoes. I'd say this is helping to revive interest in the art of building outriggers. One has to admit that's a pretty cool cultural offshoot of this whole thing. There's nothing like the feeling of building and racing your own canoe.

U.F.L.

#15 Mon, 11/22/2010 - 11:45am

" There was an effort to keep some similarities with PA'A's specs as well. "

Sorry Goto, not buying into that one ...

If above were the case ... Then what exactly was the logic / reasoning to simply eliminate the width AND allow 50' length ??????????

How is this helping ???

aloha,
pog

#16 Mon, 11/22/2010 - 12:10pm

You're not buying it...? Well, let me explain - and I could give a shit whether you buy it or not...

The PNWORCA proposal for the unlimited class canoe was written about a month ago. PA'A's new specs weren't out yet, so the 19" width thing hadn't been heard of yet. There was some talk of changing the "any width" to 19" at the annual meeting, (to match PA'A's just released specs) but that didn't jive with the eventual goal of truly "unlimited" design, so that idea was nixed. PA'A's 2010 specs had the length limits from 39' to 46' which were in the original draft. But someone involved in writing the draft proposed to change 46' to 50' under the assumptuion that current spec canoes come in around 44'-45' and a range of 39'-50' gave designers/builders about 10% on either side to work with. there may be limits, but again, those limits are now widened with the eventual goal for there to be none.

onnopaddle, if you don't like the rules that PNWORCA passed, then why don't YOU come up here and do something to change them. I've been working my ass off for the last 6 months to get anything done up here, but not every paddler is ready for a complete 180 degree change, and I don't get to make decisions for a whole association all by myself.
I'll tell you what I HAVEN'T been doing though is criticizing others efforts on this same subject because in my opinion they're not doing enough.

#17 Mon, 11/22/2010 - 1:04pm

Well Goto, asking questions is not criticizing.

I was gonna come back and change the "not buying it" part before but let it ride BECAUSE or YOUR statement "

" There was an effort to keep some similarities with PA'A's specs as well. "

Now that you came back and explained what you should have made clear in the first place .... It makes sense.

aloha,
pog

#18 Mon, 11/22/2010 - 1:30pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.224 seconds.