Pa'a Molokai Race

http://paahawaii.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Ite... This sounds like the coolest thing ever to me.

Submitted by Jim on Wed, 02/10/2010 - 8:58am

Funny thing this race has become viral. i think its been on the paa site for less than 36 hours and ive been seeing this post everywhere. I want in for sure.

#1 Wed, 02/10/2010 - 10:12am

It's what many people in the paddling world have been dreaming of for some time now, I tink.

#2 Wed, 02/10/2010 - 10:30am

so far the two of you seem to be all over it.

Go Manny!

#3 Wed, 02/10/2010 - 10:54am

Yeah Manny, mahalo for your efforts! And who said it couldn't be done?

#4 Wed, 02/10/2010 - 12:19pm

Somebody said that it couldn’t be done,
But, he with a chuckle replied
That "maybe it couldn’t," but he would be one
Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn’t be done, and he did it.

Somebody scoffed: "Oh, you’ll never do that;
At least no one has done it";
But he took off his coat and he took off his hat,
And the first thing we knew he’d begun it.
With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
Without any doubting or quiddit,
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn’t be done, and he did it.

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
There are thousands to prophesy failure;
There are thousands to point out to you one by one,
The dangers that wait to assail you.
But just buckle it in with a bit of a grin,
Just take off your coat and go to it;
Just start to sing as you tackle the thing
That "couldn’t be done," and you’ll do it.

-Edgar Guest

#5 Wed, 02/10/2010 - 12:21pm

I guess I am over regatta season for now.

#6 Wed, 02/10/2010 - 12:37pm

Without question this is where racing in the channel needs to go. Glad to see it happening.

#7 Wed, 02/10/2010 - 12:43pm

Damn you jc9 and your sarchastic remarks! Can't even have a serious paddletalk 'round here.

#8 Wed, 02/10/2010 - 12:47pm

That sounds awesome! I can't wait to find out more details and would love to be a part of a crew.

#9 Wed, 02/10/2010 - 1:31pm

Stoked.

#10 Wed, 02/10/2010 - 2:23pm

Atta Boy Manny....this is what I was talking about. All you paddlers out there that are calling for change and grumbling about the state of canoe racing in Hawaii, now is the chance for change. I posted about this some time ago...someone or some organization should step up and sponsor a race on their own, outside of OHCRA (Molokai Hoe) and Na Wahine. Where is it written that only these two organizations can do it?? I think I also said that Pa'a might be the organization that all the paddlers wanting change, will need to back. Well, here's the opportunity to do something about change. Here's an open class race (probably not to much canoe restrictions), iron man (can someone say Hawaiiki Nui?)...all the elements to get the sport moving. I am to frick'n old to do this race, but who knows, this might get me off my a$$ and try round up some kupuna types and enter an old man crew, just for the hell of it. I have some friends named Johnson, Evenrude, Suzuki, and Honda.

Get the word out...all you paddlers that want change...get off the stick and do something. Support Manny and make this race a success. Screw the establishment...Bill Rosehill, now is your chance to get your boats in the race. Go find your six guys and do it!! Now, you no need cry on this board....get it on brah!! I'm sure get 6 good paddlers from Kona that would do your boat good. This is exciting.

JawsOut.

#11 Thu, 02/11/2010 - 1:25pm

Way to go Manny .... let's video it. GoPro HD cams on the leaders canoes and a couple of support boat or jetski Pro cams. Make a Promo for next year to attract more Sponsors and international paddlers. We talked about this at Coffs.

Rambo

#12 Thu, 02/11/2010 - 2:22pm

Right on, If I saw a well made exciting movie of the event it would entice me to enter next year for sure.
But where would you find someone capable of capturing and producing such a movie?

#13 Thu, 02/11/2010 - 2:26pm

this is going to revolutionize the sport while at the same time separate the men from the boys.

the cronies at HCRA and OHCRA are probably shitting themselves right now watching their power dissipate. we no longer need them.

"Screw the establishment" - yeah RachetJaws, touche!

#14 Thu, 02/11/2010 - 3:08pm

I'm guessing a collaboration of some sort would be the way to go Kevlon, everyone doing it for Manny's revolutionary vision.

Ramboscie

#15 Thu, 02/11/2010 - 3:16pm

Not too interested in conflicts against the 'establishment' or whatever, but if a Kapunu crew is interested in a pretty fit and experienced serious GM for an Iron crew just reply. Any seat, any style, any boat fine by me. I remember talking on the beach at Molo a year or so ago about a 'Mike Tongg' division for Iron GM's but don't think anything ever came of it. Would really like to participate in this event. Coming from Guam and it would be an honor.
Si yu'us ma'asse.

#16 Thu, 02/11/2010 - 8:42pm

Finally, maybe that fast sleek looking take apart 6 man that John Martin has hanging up in the rafters of his Kaneohe shop will get a chance to go head to head with other similar unlimited design light weight craft? When tested in Kailua Bay and the Kawainui Canal, the buggah haul ass.

#17 Fri, 02/12/2010 - 12:47am

this is big news, for the whole world of Outrigger paddling, however, i disagree with tha idea of either or, meaning Molokai hoe-Na wahine vs Pa'a s race. they can co exist as complements, knowing a lot of crews cannot iron still yet. so, in my opinion, this is a world growing sport, and there is plenty room for growing, and please dont forget the past that brought us here, honor the races before this one, cause all those efforts, were done by people who wanted the sport to grow....giving us the chances to not only experience this ultimate ride, but to get stronger and faster to the point that today a lot of crews can attempt this challenge....

Kaiwi Iron.....sounds like a goal.

congratulations Manny and all the crew backing him up on this one. imua!

#18 Fri, 02/12/2010 - 4:23am

Awesome ... had to blink a couple times when i read "open design"

Hope this is a wake up alarm for all the 'sleeper cell' fast designs and builders with fresh ideas.

aloha,
pog

#19 Fri, 02/12/2010 - 11:41am

Looks like there is a revolution happening alright.

We are spoilt now in OZ. It has just been announced that we will have another lightweight V6 available. The same V6 that OPT won paddling in the latest Hawaiki Nui Va'a. The Va'a is made by Lenny Lambert of the Va'a Factory, same maker as the V1 Super Aito winning V1 rudderless.

Wow, that makes the following lightweight canoes available for racing in OZ

1. Mirage 130kg (avail 1 piece, 2piece, 3 piece or folding with hinge system)
  2. Southern Spirit 130kg
  3. Va'a Factory 130kg
  4. Bradley Lightning 130kg (being Imported right now)
  5. The New ROC 130kg (from Cook Is but modified higher gunnels and seats 1 & 2 moved back, made in OZ)

Cheers Rambo

#20 Fri, 02/12/2010 - 10:29pm

why not keep it reg. not everyone can get those light boats. but still like one shot at racing

#21 Fri, 02/12/2010 - 9:58pm

I think there are two different categories, so everyone has a shot at winning something no matter what hull they race. For me personally it will be great just to participate in an inaugural event like this.

Talk about pumping new life into a sport... canoe makers just got a big shot in the arm! All of a sudden there is a market for the fastest boat they can dream up. It will be great to see what evolves from designers like Bradley, OC, Tiger, Kai, or Kamanu.

Also, it's good to see an organization in Hawai'i taking this step. We should support PA'A with this new venture. So far here are the organizations/countries that allow or are currently trying to rewrite (or so i hear) their rules to allow open class canoes: CORA (canada), SCORA (southern cal), Tahiti, New Zealand, Australia, PNWORCA (pacific northwest).

Here is the list of places that aren't: Hawai'i

Until now!

#22 Sun, 02/14/2010 - 9:46am

Yep on that , only gonna get better and better.

aloha,
pog

#23 Sat, 02/13/2010 - 3:01pm

is there word on any open boats getting shipped out to compete?

#24 Sun, 02/14/2010 - 7:07am

yes

#25 Sun, 02/14/2010 - 9:47am

jc9_0, do you have an idea what's the expected turnout for this race? At least the clubs will be in gear by then with those interested, should be able to form crews, arrangements, etc. Whatever the inaugural tuns out to be, this will be a heck of a challenge and a great event. This is quite exciting for the near future of racing in Hawaii!

#26 Mon, 02/15/2010 - 7:33pm

Rambo,

Is the Vaa Factory Oc-6 going to be made all fiberglass in Tahiti and then shipped to Oz or is the mold being sent to Oz?

Did you get an approx. cost, in US please, for a fully delivered Vaa Factory OC-6 to Oz?

Mahalo

#27 Tue, 02/16/2010 - 5:20am

Tahitian Vaa factory 6 man coming to Australia

Postby mark on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:25 pm
The winning V6 of the Hawaiki Nui Vaa paddled by team OPT will be coming to Australia in 2010. Also the winner of other major races in 2009. This canoe is built by Lemmy Lambert of the Vaa Factoy Tahiti.
I am still waiting to hear how many V6's will be in the container and once i get the freight costs i will know exact pricing. The price will be very comparable with other canoes currently on the market.

Kona J, the above is the post on ausoutrigger. The canoe is built in Tahiti and shipped to Australia. Mark still hasn't come back to the site with the price, you may have to ring him, google ZuluSurf for his site and contact details. Just to give you an idea the Bradley Lightning will be imported from Canada for $22,000 AU. Southern Spirit from China for $20,000-$30,000 AU depending on weight, folding Mirage made in Aus $20,000 AU. All these include all the extras ready to race. Harv's ROC from Cook Islands is the cheapest at about $17,000 AU made is Aus.

#28 Tue, 02/16/2010 - 10:19am

thanks
FYI

22,000.00 AUD

=

19,842.53 USD

#29 Tue, 02/16/2010 - 10:31am

Kona, now we just need to find a way to get every SLSA Clubbie in OZ paddling OC6, that was it's strength in the '90's. But our governing body appears not to be too interested in promotion, just ruling (quote Barts - ausoutrigger.com)

Rambo

#30 Tue, 02/16/2010 - 11:15am

Rambo
You were around at the time ('90's) - what did they do to attract the clubbies & would the same thing work now?

#31 Tue, 02/16/2010 - 12:20pm

What attracted more and more clubbies was that a bunch of Aussie clubbies won Molokai Hoe 2 years in a row.

1991 Outrigger Australia were all clubbies
1992 Panamunna were all clubbies

Then Outrigger Australia won it again in 1997, again all clubbies.

Would it work now, hell yeah, probably give Tahiti a run for their money with the right steerer. These Iron men are super fit.

Rambo

#32 Wed, 02/17/2010 - 2:24am

I think I peed in my sock drawer after partying w/ Brad and the boys following that 97 race. Two minutes!

#33 Wed, 02/17/2010 - 5:15am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.249 seconds.