Pacific Paddler?

Are we pau?
Some businesses who want your $ think you don't need us
Ropati

Submitted by Pacific Paddler on Tue, 01/26/2010 - 6:20pm

Ropati, Hekili would be up for running a 6 month 1/2 page ad featuring Arleen Holtzman, Paula Crabb, Nani Akeo, Cindy Kalama, Renee Conner and that major vixen, Jane Mckee, if they'll somehow agree to participate. Seriously, we all need to support our local businesses and I'm in. Mahalo nui loa, KGB, Kaaawa, o'ahu. Assright bully, Gods country.
ps. What Lono? Makai magazine is too sophisticated to feature Gilbert Silva?

#1 Tue, 01/26/2010 - 7:01pm

Hey Ropati,

would love to help out.

hckt at hckt.org

#2 Tue, 01/26/2010 - 9:21pm

Ropati, i get a ton of stills and HD video that stills can be extracted from. Contact me with your needs. Why not open up the mag to Surfski as well and attract Epic, Fenn etc as advertisers.

Rambo
OceanSportsMedia@gmail.com

#3 Tue, 01/26/2010 - 9:40pm

Ropati,

Please tell us which companies are not buying advertising but are benefiting from your coverage of the sport.

Tell us who the "some businesses" are.

#4 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 5:41am

Please be careful with the jerry jug of gasoline (fuel?) when you cross that bridge! =)

Please tell us which companies are not buying advertising but are benefiting from your coverage of the sport.Tell us who the “some businesses” are.

We love your magazine Ro!

#5 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 8:20am

There are 2 major OC6 builders on Oahu. One advertises, one doesn't. Both have had coverage, including front covers. The builder that doesn't will still gets coverage in the upcoming February 2010 issue.

Their are two association on Oahu which I cover. One support's us (thanks Jim) one doesn't.

The cover of the next issue, Feb 2010, shows canoe surfing at Makaha AND logos of a business that doesn't advertise.

Some OC1 paddlers are fortunate enough to have sponsors. Most don't. One example is a sponsor who refuses to support us, yet feel that they are entitled to have their brand name seen in Pacific Paddler. One paddler told a close friend of mine, "@#%* Ropati blurred out a logo on my canoe." To this gifted paddler, who I have featured in Pacific Paddler, my response is...
"If we are not worth advertising in, why would you care if your sponsor's logo was blurred out?

Mahalo to the emails of support

Ropati

#6 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 9:09am

Damn, I live on the mainland and was just getting ready to renew my subscription...

#7 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 9:10am

What could we do as paddlers (vs advertisers) to help pacific paddler? Subscribe, yeah?

#8 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 9:19am

i'm not trying to stir the pot here. what you've done with your magazine is nothing short of incredible, Ropati...

i have a question, is it common practice in the magazine business to edit logos within photo's like that? i have no idea who's logo it was that was blurred, just curious.

also, not sure what the deal is with sponsor logos and such... but it seems most sponsors make a deal with the athlete, in hopes that their logo placed on a canoe or shirt will be captured in pictures that will be used in all kinds of media outlets, correct? from what i have heard, sponsors pay the athlete for getting the logo placed on covers or in magazine stories, not the publisher. so it would seem that the sponsors or manufacturers or whoever are obligated to support their athlete more than anything. i dunno...

not to say one way or another is the right way. just looking at different sides to the issue.

all the best to Pacific Paddler. i still remember looking forward to seeing new issues as a young paddler and to see if my crew made the magazine. hope you are able to make it work Ropati.

#9 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 9:20am

Thanks for your comments jc9 0

Not sure about other magazine's policy. I do notice on TV that logos on hats and tee shirts, trucks, etc are commonly blurred out.

Usually I don't blurr out logos, only the few business that have made it a point snubb the magazine.

The idea behind Pacific Paddler was to create a free magazine that would promote the sport of outrigger and be supported by business and associations who's income comes from selling products and services to paddlers.

If a business sponsors a paddler, and they do well, it seems that an ad featuring their paddler would go a long way to promoting their business even further.

Ropati

#10 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 9:39am

This is a very interesting issue.

Ropati, you are in a very interesting position, a very advantageous one because its your magazine and its free. So basically you can say "F u all you MFers" and do whatever the hell you want without much blowback.

#11 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 9:48am

I´m a subscriber from Brazil, but unfortunetly I think that magazine future is online
Aloha,

#12 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 9:54am

Bondy and I get ours through Rowdy in Australia, always a good read, must admit I like the pictures the best...................

#13 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 10:11am

Killer mag its the coolest thing to see all the shots. And when a new issue comes out its even better to sit around with all the guys and check out who made it in the issue.

Love the mag

#14 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 10:29am

Mahalo Ropati for all your hard work and dedication to our sport. It is unfortunate that there are businesses out there who wants a lot but gives nothing in return. I say, edit them out until they support what you are doing.

Is there a standard company price that these companies need to pay in order to support your efforts? Have you approached any of these companies that have been getting " free " advertisement " on canoes or jerseys but were not aware of your magazine?

#15 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 10:39am

Thank you Anykine

All anykine business has to do is contribute to the mission with an ad. Anykind size will do. The smallest, a sixth page is only $250, for two months, or monthly installments of $125, That kind of support goes a long way in my books. It show that the business is aboard with our mission to provide paddlers their own rag.

I have approach some business that I see plastered on canoes. I prefer not to go after business unrelated to paddling and focus more on the business that do make a direct living from paddlers. I feel they should give back to their customers by helping us provide a magazine tailored just for clients.

One surprise is the barge company that makes a heap off $ taking canoes from Oahu to Molokai, or to the Big Island for the Queen Lili'uokalani . Another surprise was the airline who said (or their advertising rep.) that our market was too small.

Ropati

#16 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 1:16pm

Ropati, what an awesome magazine. And definitely people need to KOKUA.
I just want to make one point.
Advertising is advertising. Journalism is journalism. If a magazine covers a certain race or product because that company advertises that is not good journalism. If a company finds little value in advertising in a magazine or does not have the cash flow to do so, it's their business. Many businesses are having enough of a problem keeping themselves afloat let alone trying to donate advertising money to another business...
Every company has the right to pay for advertising or not. Ropati has the right to choose his stories. I would hope that companies would be long term minded enough to see that the magazine is benefiting them too and when it is in trouble would rally around.
Thanks for all your work and dedication Ropati. I hope people rise to the occasion.

#17 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 1:48pm

Cost of advertising is passed on to the customer - in this case the paddler.

Companies should keep the cost of advertising low - I do not want to buy their name, I want to buy their product. Canoes may become affordable again.

Same is true for prize money, sponsorship - in the end it is the customers paying Tiger Woods 10 million dollar for four rounds of golf.

How about PP for subscription ? It may solve the problem; whoever wants to read it, contribute directly.

#18 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 2:12pm

Holy Crap Ropati,

Is THAT the way you really see it !!! ???

You seemingly are 'blaming'; small, paddle related business for whatever problems you are having yet you refuse? ( "prefer not to go after business unrelated to paddling" ) to go after the larger sponsers who apparently are already into putting some stuff up for paddlers( "plastered on canoes" ) for whatever reason ..... Then whining about it and airing dirty laundry here on the internet...... I don't get it.

These big companys HAVE the money to invest on advertising and are your (our? ) future if promoting the sport is what you want to do.

IMHO, bluring logos and not placing X person 'cause they are not contributing to the magazine is denying your readership some of what they come to see.

I figure you are frustrated and feel you have to come on here to vent as it were but IMO you are sort of burning bridges, hurting feelings/ turning off those who WANT to support you but just cannot at this time and starting down a less than high road.

Put a write up in the magazie itself and see what kind or responses you get from a wider readership than here.

I think you should run an ENTIRE issue devoted to all the small builders who are behind the scenes, as busy as can be ( building and supplying rather than sitting and thinking about tossing money about ) working as labors of love. That would be supporting us.

Most sincerely,
pog

Edit, In a hurry to get all that down, I completely forgot to metion Eckharts very point. totally agree. If we are busy as can be right now, but still walking the tightrope, is raising prices to cover advertsing a good thing ???

#19 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 2:31pm

If its only $12 for a year how can anyone say no to that? Whats the easiest way for us to sign up Ropati?

#20 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 2:24pm

Ropati .. customers who advertise with me get royal treatment, I supply them with images FOC for ads & web use. Fortunately I have a wide choice of images to use & don't publish any craft shots unless they are an advertisers product.... on the rare occasion that I do have to use a pic from a non supporting company I have no hesitation in cloning/cropping out or hiding their logos, particularly if they have been somewhat unkind with their comments .. My motto ....no free lunches & always have the last laugh !!!!! .. if we all support each other then everyone benefits ... you do a fantastic job so hang in there ... hope the Vaka Eiva spread is looking good ! ... Harv

#21 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 2:26pm

I feel Makai magazine has found out that you need to expand your target group. Luckily, outrigger paddling is also associated with surfing, snowboarding, etc...and even fishing. Trying to use other activities to help highlight your priority sport is a great idea. The more you put in, the more you get out. Lono has created a great product and he has the background to be successful.
Businesses are being hit hard and all companies need to be creative, not vindictive .Ropati has been our sport's lead jounalist and Pacific Paddler has been THE MAG for a long time. I keep all my copies. Run your mag as you see fit.
Our paddling community is actually quite small and competition is stiff. Even websites have competition. Exampe would be Y2kanu. Since the arrival ofOCpaddler, I've seen activity for Y2kanu shrink, I don't think the pictures or events are updated or even posted...It's all about the product you provide. Build a better mousetrap.
Advertising is the bread and butter of any magazine. Having businesses team up on ads is a great idea. Incentives for riders will only work if the businesses offer it to their riders.Then they're paying to have their logos in the mag. Isn't that what happens when a business buys an ad? Maybe changing the format or quality of paper may help a magazine survive. I'm sure Ropati has contributing editors around the world at different races writing articles with pics.Hard work and nose to the grind stone is what is needed. I know Lono does it. I'm sure Ropati does as well. More may be needed...and a turn in the economy.
We all need to support local businesses. It's a dissappointment that businesses choose not to advertise in our local magazines.I'm not sure what thier budget is, but no one is making a killing in this market or economy.Keep searching your target group and someday, when your mag is back to it's glory days, make those businesses pay a substantial price for not hanging in there when time were tough.

#22 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 3:41pm

I love the mag and think its way under priced. Ideas could be borrowed from other mags . I love the interviews with the big guys. also I don't think it would hurt to have more pretty ladies.

#23 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 3:58pm

If a potential or existing advertiser were smart, they would submit content for Pacific Paddler to run in the mag and offset the cost of their ad. That content could be anything that is of general interest to the paddling community, like Photos, articles, interviews with employees, vision for the future, new product reviews etc etc.

For the good of the sport overall, it's best to provide a balanced view of the races, canoes and paddlers whether they pay for ads or not.

Argggghh the pleasures of being in business ...!!!

Rambo

#24 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 6:02pm

I enjoy the mag, Just got a years subscription for NZ. Hope it comes.

#25 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 6:14pm

Should digitize all your stuff, Html5

get it ready for the ipad, probably cut a lot of the cost for printing....probably the biggest money eater.

Also if you need any help from
japan....there are people

#26 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 6:41pm

My first choice publisher at this moment is Rambo, at 'Rambo's locker'. He allows us to see, what we really want to see.
Rambo covers Australia plus Tahiti so far.

Another excellent publisher is Rob Mousley, at www.surfski.info. Slightly different content, really good reviews, reports etc.
He covers surfski events worldwide.

We do not have comparable publishing about OC covering the islands. We have bits and pieces, but the overall impression is less. This is just my personal opinion.

#27 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 8:10pm

Just to clarify to Ono paddler thoughts.

It may seem like whining to you but this is the land of free speech. When you put on a tee shirt with a company logo, you are a walking billboard. That's your choice. Mine is to support those business that support Pacific Paddler and with that the paddling community.

Each issue I have a choice of hundreds of pictures to choose from. I usually pick what I think is the best picture visually. If it happens to have a company that refuses to support the magazine, I mean blatantly refuses, perhaps even promised that they would, but never to follows through, (only a few come to mind) I'll usually crop it out, but not always, I have offered the olive leaf many times, but to no avail. Otherwise all logos stay as is in the photos.

Your right about the frustration. After 14 years some just don't get it. A friend suggested I use this forum, because it the best that their is to discuss issues related to paddling. I agree. The feedback has been amazing and more than I had hoped for. Hopefully getting the word out will save us from going the way of the dinosaurs. I have already had one commitment from a paddler who wants to make sure we are around to document the sport for history's sake. Mahalo Hekili for your full page, six-time ad buy. Your the man!
When it's all said and done, when we look back at the sport, we will remember the paddlers, crews and races, not the sponsors who tag them with their logos.
But, if that sponsor also wants to sponsor Pacific Paddler, and with that the whole paddling community, I think the money is well spent. There may be another magazine out there that scratches at the surface, but I don't think printing race results is all there is to a great race like Na Wahine or Molokai Hoe.

As mentioned, $125 a month for the smallest ad is chicken feed, but it's huge contribution to the paddling community and helping us chronicle the sport we love.

Ropati

#28 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 9:09pm

just a suggestion PP there is a topic that is of great interest how dose this canoe stand up against that one,,, from a neutral point of view of course. or paddles,etc,etc.

#29 Wed, 01/27/2010 - 10:21pm

Since Ropati didnt put my answer on how to subscribe for $12 a year ill do it for him. Go online to pacificpaddler.com. Who cares if you can get it for free - its $12 measley bucks a year to help out. If the subscriptions go up substantially, some of those tightwad advertisers will have to think twice about not advertising.

#30 Thu, 01/28/2010 - 1:01am

I am a subscriber from Puerto Rico. I've been subscribed since 1999 and I keep all my copies. Personally I learned the sport of outrigger through the Pacific Paddler magazine. This is the Hawaii national sport and all companies should be committed to the development of the sport. If we support Pacific Paddler we are supporting the sport.

Ropati GOOD JOB, keep it alive.

#31 Thu, 01/28/2010 - 2:34am

Dear Ropati,

Of course I know you CAN say it, but doesn't mean you should.

125 a month is NOT "Chicken FEED" for some of us. How pompous you are.

I would state you are a little out of touch with our business.

Imagine the big PADDLING company reading this ... So they advertise with you then stop, are you gonna go online and complain they are no longer supporting the "paddling community" then ?

The Magazine is great but man I am really suprised and disheartened by your angle here.

aloha,
pog

#32 Thu, 01/28/2010 - 8:45am

I worked for a small mag like this on the mainland, and can empathize with the work and money that goes into just the printing alone. Pacific Paddler is the ONLY mag that solely covers outrigger canoe racing that I have found. I am a super small just starting out paddle maker on the Big Island, and would gladly support the endeavors of Ropati and PP in the future. As I grow my business, I can see this magazine as one avenue to spend some bucks for advertising, because there really isn't an International magazine that is all about canoe paddling, to get your name out there. The word of mouth is pretty much it.

Sales of ad space with all the cool pics and logos in 'em is the driving force behind any free publication. 20 some-odd years ago, my mother in-law started a free publication called Simi Valley Today as a way to allow people with businesses in a small community to have a place to advertise directly to the local people in it, this was a great tool to spur the local economy, this publication is still around because of ad space sales. Another mag from my hometown Thrasher Magazine, although not a free publication, is heavily boosted by their ad-space sales, a small time publication that is now a household name to any skater in the world.

As a graphic artist for many years, I took note that some business owners don't allocate a budget for advertising, or are sooo busy producing their products that advertising takes a back seat, I am not even established yet and have to juggle my time to try set everything in place.

With that said, supporting local businesses that support local businesses is sooo right on, especially if you have a magazine that you can spend a little for advertising, and then everyone gets a free copy, that is a pretty good deal, and if these "some businesses" don't see that then maybe all that free advertising is paying off and they have lost sight of how they got so busy, we must not forget how we get to these points in our businesses.

On the other hand, some guys may have at home, mom and pop type businesses, and maybe don't want to grow and be huge corporate production type businesses, even though their product is already in every other pic that is taken.

Ropati you are doing a good job within a tight knit community, I love the mag and wouldn't hesitate to give up a couple of bucks to BUY one, but free is good, lol. To grow the sport it starts with the roots, keep up the hard work. Someday I'll get one of those full pagers.

Mahalo,
just a guy floating on a remote island in the vast Pacific Ocean.

#33 Thu, 01/28/2010 - 8:48am

The only thing that can possibly save Pacific Paddler is a steady stream of commentary from Fuzerider ....

You people know better than to to doubt me on this ...

Had to LMAO at Kona Js comment above ,,, reads like he wants to organize some kind of a boycott against a manufacturers right to choose who they will or will not advertise with.

If your image is cool enough ,, advertisers will beat your door down to get onboard with you ,,, it doesn`t work the other way around ..... HELLO.....

If you go around blurring out logos on equipment from public events , you `re just cutting your own throat...with potential advertisers.

My 2 cents,,,

#34 Thu, 01/28/2010 - 8:51am

Who would have though there was a simple answer to my dilemma.

I just talk to a publishing advisor and he suggested that perhaps I should blur out all logos, except for our advertisers, because a logo is the property of the business it represents and unless I get a release from the business who's logo it is I may be libel.

mahalo for helping me arrive at this point. I am now satisfied that it's justifiable to blur out logos.

If you do have a logo on your canoe, shirt, hat or paddle that you don't want me not to blur out ask your sponsor if they see any value in having their logo seen in Pacific Paddler, and if they do, we can talk and together keep the magazine going, growing and in print.

Ropati

#35 Thu, 01/28/2010 - 10:34am

Tv and Movie productions go out of their way to make sure no logo appears for fear of lawsuits about non- permitted use. We have to "greek out" for example "Pepsi" and make it look like "Bepse". The blur appears mostly on reality shows where logos on t-shirts, license plate numbers etc. inadvertently show up. The same technique is used for the benefit of all the puritan folks out there to hide butt cracks, too much cleavage and god forbid some unruly pubic hair.
Not sure what the legalities are in magazine publishing but all race shots are in the public domain and if you stay or participate at a public event your image can and will be used.
I'm with you Ropati blur 'em out. Your mag is great and free!!!!!
The whiner who bitched about the blur should have a talk with his/her sponsors or look for a new one.
You get what you give.

#36 Thu, 01/28/2010 - 10:50am

I've been getting PP on the mainland now for about 12 years. Back then (when I first started paddling), just as now, I've learned a lot about what's out there, i.e. canoes, paddles, accessories, etc. from PP. Now I also get info from OCP. Probably having been through about 8 canoes, as well as probably over 10 plus paddles or so, I still look forward to my PP delivery (even though it's over a month late by the time I get it on the east coast). My point...advertising WORKS in PP. I've BOUGHT from what I've learned about in PP. I looked through an old issue I had laying around and there was a lot more advertising (actually with good info.) on equipment compared to the more recent issues. So there's my endorsement. However, I don't think blurring out sponsors on canoes, jerseys, etc. is such a good idea. I pay for a subscription to be sent to me. I don't think charging customers a bit for your rag is such a bad idea.

#37 Thu, 01/28/2010 - 4:04pm

Im with you drewp, blurring out logos is just plain stupid ,,, irritates the living daylights out of the very manufacturers that youd like to have advertize with you .

#38 Fri, 01/29/2010 - 5:40am

Ropati, you've done a great service to the paddling community with your magazine, bringing the excitement of the sport through the quality images from cover to cover.

It is obvious you spend considerable time putting the publications together for each issue and after all is said and done, it is you that needs to be happy and content given all the time you spent so do what you feel is right for yourself and your supporters/advertisers.

Other media outlets blur out logos as regular practice so it is obviously not stupid if you choose to go that route. The only stupid thing is if you start listening to what other people tell you to do and you do it for others and not for yourself.

Do what you feel in your heart. You have already done a tremendous service with all that you've put out for the paddling Community. Mahalo nui loa and God Bless!

#39 Fri, 01/29/2010 - 9:28am

Fuzerider- you are a blurr. Have you been paying for your PP magazine? Or jusr waiting for the free issue?

#40 Fri, 01/29/2010 - 10:19am

I'll give a little input from an advertisers side, I see both side of the issue, I am not sure I agree with Ropatti's way of going about it, But it does give a little life to this site.
I have advertised off an on with Pacific Paddler, When times were good I ran adds, When times weren't, It was the first expense to get cut. Advertising in PP for me was to support the magazine, Since 95% of it's distribution was NOT in my market, I realistically knew that I was gaining very little.
For those of you being detectives running to your old stack and trying to see who is not advertising, I would ask that you be careful and not judge a company because they are not advertising. These are tough times for many and a company that is not advertising may or may not be the company that Ropatti is speaking of. Many company's may be asking themselves "should we run an add, or should we give worker X a few extra hours so he can make his rent?
I do not know who Ropati is talking about, I have my ideas, and it may be a company I carry. Where I think he should be careful is that by snubbing one manufacturer, he may also be snubbing the retailers that carry that brand, or the races that have them as a sponsor. If the snub effects their sales they may need to rethink their advertising dollars.
As paddlers this really is a magazine directed towards you, It's primary coverage is races and standings. I don't see to many articles or featured pages to the manufactures, I feel that the paddlers themselves should do what they can to support the mag, subscriptions would help out tremendously.

#41 Fri, 01/29/2010 - 10:42am

Before Pacific Paddler, there was another super paddling magazine called HAWAII PADDLER. It was an excellent publication and was around for a couple of years or so until the free PACIFIC PADDLER made its appearance. At that time, there just wasn't enough support for two outstanding publications. So the free one won the competition. I cherrish my old copies of both mags.

#42 Fri, 01/29/2010 - 10:55am

Well ,, to answer your question Ropati ; no youre not pau. You might need to make some changes that will increase readership but youre not pau until YOU say you`re pau.

My advice though would be to knock off blurring logos , not a good practice .

#43 Fri, 01/29/2010 - 11:17am

Forgive me, I know this is an aside, but I really miss KANUculture magazine. Now that was an awesome periodical! I think most of it's readers would agree that a vacuum in paddling publications has existed since it left the scene. It was a quality product, with global features, and a Polynesian focus. It had great writing, international appeal, photos, and event coverage all bound in great paper. KANUculture still publishes sought after books on training and skills development. Maybe Pacific Paddler might want to consider a model like Kc? I know I would pay to see a quality rag like that again, even if it was quarterly. Kc is gone now though, and there probably is a reason for that as well ((sigh)). If Steve West is around, maybe he'd be willing to offer some interesting reflections for you Ro on paddling + publishing. If he's reading this thread, maybe he'll chime in!

#44 Fri, 01/29/2010 - 2:38pm

Was just looking at the Kanu Culture website. Here's the link if anybody's interested: http://kanuculture.squarespace.com/

Cheers.

#45 Fri, 01/29/2010 - 3:32pm

Yes Kanu Culture was a good read and very informative. Steve has on occasion contributed stories to Pacific Paddler. He is a good writer, knows what he is writing about, and a pioneer in promoting the sport of outrigger. I think economics was the reason it stopped. Even though buying his book helped pay his bills, it was his dwindling advertising base that was the nail in the coffin, just my 2-cents.

After some time to consider what I have said and proposed to do, I can now say that I will NOT blur out all logos— after all, these business are investing in the sport, maybe not in Pacific Paddler but that is because they don't see any benefit in doing so. I know the value is there from all the positive responses I have received.

The signs are there, the support is out there so I will continues to my best to keep the only magazine (in print) alive to record to the best that I can what is happening in the outrigger world. To quote a favorite character from my youth and present day, "live long and prosper."

If you have a story you wish us to cover, feel FREE to contact me.

Aloha Ropati

#46 Mon, 02/01/2010 - 8:28am

How much for one prescription?

#47 Mon, 02/01/2010 - 8:53am

Now youre talkin Ropati !!! sort of ,, from your post ; it looks as though you might still blurr out some logos though . I wouldn t do that .

No blurring is good blurring ,,, that`s the correct policy. You see , blurring is a form of censorship and no body likes that !

What if Kiezo started blurring all these fake handles we have here on OCP,, Jesus !! nobody would no who yer talking to anymore !!!

#48 Mon, 02/01/2010 - 8:56am

Just wanted to put in my two cents. As a photographer who has dealt with magazines for a decade or so, I believe I have a little experience worth sharing:

First off, Ropati, I love the magazine. Collect my issue for free every month and read every page. Thank you for all of your hard work and providing the service that you do. You do provide an exceptional product for the paddling community, and do distinguish yourself from the other magazine by covering the paddling sport in depth.

Photo editing of logos in photos is common practice in a publication like yours, which is an "advertorial" and not "editorial" publication. Meaning your publication is funded by its advertisers and not its readers. I know you cover stories with an non-biassed approach, but still PP falls into the category of advertorial. What you are doing by editing is pretty much the industry standard nation-wide.

That said, most advertorials I have worked with "bait" for advertisers with feature stories (like Rambo mentioned in an earlier post). For example, maybe a paddle maker that purchases a decent ad run gets a feature story on a new paddle design - that would include a run of the feature specs of the paddle through an interview with the maker, maybe interviews with some of the sponsored paddlers that have been using the new paddle and their thoughts, also some of the store owners or online retailers that will carry the design and their thoughts, etc. Stories like these are a real benefit to the advertiser, and helps them justify the expense in these tight times. They also ultimately benefit the reader who is kept up to date with the changing technology in the sport.

Also, many advertorials must rely on a WIDE variety of advertisers. I can see the benefit (as mentioned earlier) of including surfski as well as OC. Many paddlers are showing talent in both sports - Eckhart, Dolan, Bartlett, etc. We paddle together sometimes, race together, why not share the same mag.

Also by wide variety I mean perhaps supplement makers, sunscreens, car racks, sport watches/GPS, hydration systems, headwear (or any company that relies on its ever-changing product development) would like a feature story in exchange for ad run. These are easy stories, usually concepted by the advertiser. They, as small business people themselves usually know what they want to talk about. It is only up to you as editor to write or assign the story to an unbiassed writer. BTW, think of all the money a paddler spends on products in a two year period besides boat/ paddle - probably not a comparable amount, but still definitely a worthwhile advertising and feature story market.

One important thing I'd like to reiterate. Like Fuze said: If your image is cool enough advertisers will beat your door down to get onboard with you. Image is important, but really I think it boils down to return on investment. Lets put the notion of supporting the paddling community aside just for a second. If advertisers can see a real value to the ad run, then they will see the $125 as "chicken feed". If they do not see the value right off, then other things might cloud that desire to support the paddling community, i.e. mortgages, tuitions, etc. There is a lot to be said about how a product (toothpase, shirt, car, magazine advertising, etc) is packaged and offered for sale.

So best of luck Ropati (I think I went on too long anyway.) I am sure the mag will be fine, and in the end I am sure our close-knit paddling community will come together to support the ONLY publication that is specifically devoted to their sport and has their best interests at heart.

Best, and Aloha,
acolytphoto

#49 Sun, 02/07/2010 - 10:59pm

Nice post acolytphoto. Well done . The way your sport is presented to the viewing population makes all the difference in the amount of gains you will see in both numbers of participants and dollars earned . You make some very relevant suggestions aclolytphoto.

Here s a video of Maines most well attended race , its a down home , non elite, fun , event that draws hundreds of recreational paddlers out of the Maine woods every Spring.

#50 Mon, 02/08/2010 - 4:22am

Ropati, your magazine rocks and we want to advertise in it as soon as we get through this little rough patch. As a small business, we must support each other, it is foolish and weak to want something for nothing, as EVERYTHING has a price.....

#51 Tue, 02/16/2010 - 3:41pm

Ropati,
Hang in there, we're coming back! And I think more will come back too.

I didn't read all the comments on this subject, but I would urge everyone to support the businesses that advertise in the magazine when the opportunity lends itself. What comes around goes around.

#52 Fri, 02/19/2010 - 8:29pm

Nice video Fuze. Almost time to hit the whitewater.

#53 Mon, 02/22/2010 - 9:40am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.248 seconds.