Paddle Opinions

Back into paddling after 12 years looking into buying a new blade for regatta season...anybody have thoughts on mana blades or quickblade??? atm im using a xylo and makana alii for practice...like the xylo better but would like more feedback before i buy my own...mana blades look like a xylo makana kinda clone and quickblade seems more hi-tech...any opinions would be greatly appreciated...thx

Submitted by alleyezonme808 on Tue, 04/27/2010 - 11:46am

Check with your coach first. Alot of clubs require a certain kind of paddle, i.e brand, size, style etc. Are you male or female? This is a factor as well.

Xylo Bladz and Makana Alii are great paddles. The Quickblade may not be allowed in a Koa canoe. Pretty much every club I have paddled for won't allow hybrids in their Koas.

Picking a paddle shouldn't be rushed. sometimes the coaches will narrow that decision down for you right away.

The trend I am seeing is a resurgence of double bends and going back to increased surface area with the blades. Top crews are using 10"-10 1/2" widths by 19"-20" lengths. Some are rumored to have used 12" wide blades in the past Molokai Hoe.

It just depends on what you're comfortable with and what the club is using.

Good luck on your quest.

#1 Tue, 04/27/2010 - 4:02pm

thx for the reply...talked to coaches and they told me if its hcra approved i can use it in regatta...kinda shocked me but they said it...reason i was thinking quickblade is for the 10" width...when i last paddled in the late 90s the blades i used were about that size and i think i might be more comfortable with that...hard part for me is it can look good and all on the rack but im worried i buy a blade and my first pass through the water and i dont like the feel...there went 200+ dollars...thx again the quest continues

#2 Tue, 04/27/2010 - 4:43pm

You gotta borrow them and try. Dont ever buy a blade based on feel in a store or based on the input of others. They all feel different for each paddler. All good blades but my vote is to always support your local builder before by a "big brand". But bottom line is to use what feels good and goes with your crew as well.

#3 Wed, 04/28/2010 - 12:46am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.219 seconds.