paddle shape

why are( some) modern Hawaiian paddle blades(lauhoe) shaped almost straight across?Having seen Tahitian paddle blades(rapa) almost all my life,it's more of a visual contrast.Old Hawaiian paddles did not have the lauhoe straight across.I was just wondering what inspired the change.It seems to me that the more tear drop shape would make it slide into the ocean smoother .Anyways,just curious.Looking to buy a paddle for my oc-1 here in Hawaii,don't want to bring one back from Tahiti.I always believe in buying local, as much as possible,where ever I might be.Is Kialoa local,or made in China?(probably a dumb question,what is not made in China today?)

Submitted by kava on Thu, 07/01/2010 - 9:56am

good surprise,I checked out Kialoa,and made in USA!Other good surprise,the Vana! Taravana !!!

#1 Thu, 07/01/2010 - 12:34pm

Broadreach and Pure paddles on the Big Island both make Tahitian style blades. And quality 2nd to none.

Kialoa is made in Washington.

#2 Thu, 07/01/2010 - 3:26pm

mahalo. Will check them out.that Vana not available till sometime laters anyways.
as a kid,how many times did we not use just a FA NIU,coconut leaf!

#3 Thu, 07/01/2010 - 4:22pm

Kialoa is made in Bend, OR.

Teardrop shape does slide in the water much quieter. The historically tip is pointed as a weapon....and is much quieter when entering the water. However, without the need to be quiet when fishing, or sneaking up on your enemies...the contemporary paddle eliminates the tip and now you have instant "catch" when your paddle enters the water. I personally like a sharp point on my paddles because there's less splash and it looks damn cool. If a shark wants to take a bite out my canoe....I can get one good poke at him before he does (never had to do that...but I like the idea of being armed).

You could always make your own paddle...really satisfying and not really as time consuming as it looks. But definitely cheaper to buy one from Kialoa!

#4 Thu, 07/01/2010 - 7:02pm

oops

#5 Thu, 07/01/2010 - 7:15pm

It's probably worth mentioning that Kialoa Paddles got its start in Hawai'i. For business reasons they had to relocate to Oregon. That said they still have strong local ties and are still every bit a "local" company in my eyes. They consistently support hawai'i based paddlers and make donations to non-profit organizations like HVA. They also offer student scholarships. So if those kind of things factor into your decision...

In fairness I should say almost all the local paddle makers are very generous. I know from working with HVA that they all turn out great product and take care of paddlers whenever they can. So I guess whoever you choose you are making a great choice.

#6 Fri, 07/02/2010 - 12:21am

My daughter was awarded her newest paddle from the fine folks at Kialoa thanks to their "Live like you paddle" scholarship http://www.kialoa.com/Paddle-Scholarship.asp and they even make a Tahitian style double bend http://www.kialoa.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=137

#7 Fri, 07/02/2010 - 10:39am

Wood is a lot cheaper in Oregon. I'm preferential to Kialoa...'cause I live in Oregon and I've had a Kialoa paddle that's about 10 years old and still solid. But if you want to try out a tear drop shape...you're going to probably have to make your own unless you have deep pockets. A few guys make them for sale but more as"art" pieces and the price shows it.

#8 Sun, 07/04/2010 - 4:55pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.165 seconds.