Paddling and Surfing Rudderless

Hi, everybody.

A while back the rudder cable on my OC-1 broke, and partly because I was too lazy to fix it (well, mostly because I was too lazy) and partly because I thought it would be good for me to paddle rudderless, I just took off the rudder and kept paddling.

Fortunately I launch from Mission Bay here in San Diego, so I was able to practice going more or less straight on flat water before heading out into the ocean. I have been pleased and sometimes surprised by things I have learned while paddling rudderless (like how to change over more quickly to keep the canoe turning too far), but of course I still have a long way to go.

My question for the paddling community is this: does anyone have advice about the differences between surfing with and without a rudder? I’ve never been very good at connecting bumps even with a rudder, but I know I can take a wave at an angle and still ride down the face as long as that rudder is helping my canoe track. Without a rudder, though, I spin out if I’m at too sharp an angle.

I was hoping some more experienced paddlers and wave riders could give some guidance about surfing and connecting bumps both with and without a rudder. At some point I’m going to fix mine (hopefully before the winter race season here in San Diego), and I want to know if I’ll need to make some adjustments.

Thanks,
Axel

Submitted by Axel on Tue, 08/17/2010 - 9:37pm

Surfing in a rudderless is all about anticipating the waves affect on the boat direction and hull speed. I imagine there are many techniques to holding a line that I have yet to explore, but so far ka'hi and uni in many different angles and locations of the hull all give different results. If you see the photo of Luke on the header of the hva site, he seems to be leveraging his foot to hold or lift the nose of the va'a, thats my guess.
Sometimes you think it would be nice to have a handbook showing all the different tried and proven techniques to paddling v1, but that would take a lot out the experience, discovering for yourself what works and doesn't work is part of the journey. If you feel like the rudderless is calling you, sell your oc1 and get a v1.

#1 Wed, 08/18/2010 - 9:06am

Alex
Its a good idea to have your canoe in the right line before you get to the wave ,but that cant always happen. I study these videos and it could help you. I cant remember the name of it. there was another one of a guy going into a bay I think, on smaller waves so you could see what to do on a regular run. there's allot of small steering moves with your hands.

#2 Wed, 08/18/2010 - 10:18am

Thanks for the advice!

#3 Thu, 08/19/2010 - 3:41pm

Well, rudderless is the traditional way in river canoe, so maybe you could find helpfull infos in canoe paddle strokes.
The way you control a boat with a paddle is more or less the same, regardless of boat type or paddle type.
Draw, sweep, J-stroke ... near the hull, far from the hull, in front of you, at your side or aft ... : Basic stuff.

Of course on an outrigger canoe or va'a, you'll be very carefull when controlling from the right.
Any attempt at strongly pulling a draw stroke on the right will remind you quickly why. ;-)

The real difference is in the J-stroke : You actually can't do a real J-stroke with a bent paddle, but it works great with a "lazy J", or false J-stroke, because of the natural angle of the paddle.

You'll also pay attention to your weight distribution in the different phases of surf.

Practice and enjoy !

#4 Sun, 08/22/2010 - 11:08pm

Mahalo Fabrice,
Rudderless paddling is pretty much basic, however, surfing rudderless is another matter, which requires considerable more skill and experience. Watching a master steersman surf #3's in her rudderless OC-1 Honu years ago was a thing of beauty, since I couldn't duplicate the same feat even using a rudder.

#5 Mon, 08/23/2010 - 8:34am

yeah koacanoe, I never meant to say it's easy job !
surfing is never easy, whatever path you choose (board, OC, SUP, body ...).

Deep bow at the evocation of a master steersman's skills.
I'm certainly far from that. practice, practice, and more practice.
DId I mention practice ?

And fun ! Practice without fun is just barren in my opinion.

;-)

#6 Mon, 08/23/2010 - 10:11pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.184 seconds.