Paddling spots in San Diego, CA

I'm heading down to San Diego for a long July 4th weekend and was thinking of bringing my OC1 with me. Where do the locals paddle at? Are there any particular routes you all take? I'm on my own so I was thinking just an out-and-back kind of route as opposed to point-to-point. What are the conditions like this time of year? Can you just launch from the beach?

• Mission Bay? (Can you launch anywhere?)
  • Mission Beach?
  • Del Mar Beach?
  • La Jolla Shores?

Mahalo!

Submitted by MrBuddha on Thu, 06/24/2010 - 1:54pm

Show up at Bahia Hotel Beach around 7-8 ... Usually where the OC and Skis launch from ..

You gotta be where you want to be by 6 AM @ the Beach on the forth. Parking for the whole beach area near full and police shut S. Mission Beach down !

Plan on staying in town 'till late or deal with massive grid lock traffic ...

Check out the tons of trash left on the beaches after if you want to feel like the Indian with a tear in his eye.

Feeling Lucky I live Hawaii right now.
aloha,
pog

#1 Thu, 06/24/2010 - 3:21pm

Mission Bay is a popular spot for OC1 as we have 4 different clubs on MB alone. Be sure to get there early as onnopaddle said, because there will be a lot of people out here for that weekend. There is actually no drinking on the beaches allowed here in SD anymore so keep that in mind as well.

If you do hit up Mission Bay, check the surf report as the SW swell usually creates some fun waves in the jetty.

You also can't go wrong with La Jolla shores.

Del mar would also be ok as there's a lack of people, but the only downside would be is getting through the surf.

Hope you have a great trip down here!

#2 Sun, 06/27/2010 - 5:04am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.153 seconds.