Pat Dolan Downwind GoPro Video

Heres a video of Pat in October doing an afternoon surfrun outside of Kailua.

Patrick Dolan OC1 Downwind Run from Dolan Bros. on Vimeo.

Submitted by Ryan Dolan on Sun, 12/12/2010 - 5:07pm

Am I the only one addicted to watching these downwinder videos? Between the OC and the SUP dw videos I am always waiting for the next one. The right music only makes it better. Pat got the tunes right on this one. Freakin love it!!

#1 Mon, 12/13/2010 - 3:53pm

ericspin- Pat's video is great. HAve you seen the MAliko video by Jibofo on the KaiWaa.com website? Check it out. Hot!

#2 Mon, 12/13/2010 - 6:36pm

i say the rambo's stabilized video of the doctor run was one of the best.

http://rambos-locker.blogspot.com/2009/03/robbo-fully-stabilized-and-zoo...

#4 Mon, 12/13/2010 - 8:41pm

jc, the Doctor is coming up again in January, we are due for a humdinger downwind. Heaps of outriggers this year with prize money too. Lookout for a cracker video of the Doctor http://www.oceanpaddler.com/events/the-doctor and Mandurah Duel (Ocean v’s Estuary). http://mandurahduel.blogspot.com. ... who will win the race off ...Ocean v’s Estuary ( flatwater v's ocean)

Time for another visit down-under Jnr (Karel) ...give Trav and the other top Ozzies some more competition.. did i say there's good prize-money for these events.

R

#5 Tue, 12/14/2010 - 2:53pm

Why do you hate Travis?

#6 Tue, 12/14/2010 - 10:41am

Incredible video, Rambo!

#7 Tue, 12/14/2010 - 11:15am

Alan, as a friend of Trav's you would know he is currently our most successful open paddler in OC1/ SUP and races in most of our events with or without prize-money. Perth is a 5hrs plane flight from 99% of the best paddlers in OZ and i'm just highlighting the fact that there is good prize-money on offer to attract some more competition for the Doctor race and Duel. He just won our National OC1 Titles last weekend and the SUP race the following day, guy is on fire (Interview with Trav in the coming Nats Video). I know Trav and Blair well. Amended my post to avoid misunderstandings.

R

#8 Tue, 12/14/2010 - 2:58pm

Ryan, ask Pat to send us another email, i can suggest a few things to avoid the lens water spots, makes a huge difference. Wish i could keep my head that steady when i paddle ...

Love that long run at 2:40 in Pat's video

R

#9 Tue, 12/14/2010 - 6:43pm

Sorry to give you some $h!t on that one Rambo - I figured it was all in fun. I never thought you actually hated Travis... I mean, seriously, who could hate such a loveable and handsome fella?

$incerely, goto.

#10 Tue, 12/14/2010 - 3:37pm

....like your favorite cuddly teddy bear but one that can paddle awesome and look good like yourself in tight shirts ...haha.

#11 Tue, 12/14/2010 - 4:02pm

Yo Rambo,

Please post your lens tips here ... Rain X ?

Thanks heaps,
pog

#12 Tue, 12/14/2010 - 5:44pm

Ok pog you got me. Rainx will stop BIG blobs from sticking like the ones in Pats video (i don't use it anymore), but there will be many more smaller ones which is just as annoying. For a HeadCam like Pat had on, just before you head out smear saliva over a very clean lens and rub in well, wash in saltwater, reapply and wash again. Don't touch the lens after the final wash, if you look at it closely, it will have a complete thin film of water over the whole lens. This film is what you shoot thru and disperses any drops that hit the lens.

The thin film will be invisible in the final video until it begins to dry out, this is usually 5 mins but can vary depending on the temp and wind.

So what you do is every 5 mins spit on your finger and rub on the lens again and wash off with a hand full of seawater. You can do this while riding a bump or if not racing just stop for 10seconds. It's better to get 10 five minute perfectly clear clips than 1 fifty minute clip with big water blobs or dried salt specks.

Diluted dishwashing liquid, apple pulp or raw potato slice will also allow a thin film of water to form on the lens after it is rinsed off, but spit is always with you and works just as well.

So rather than try keep the lens completely water free, use the above to form a thin film of water to shoot thru. As i said it's invisible in the final video.

Try it, observe the film on the lens and you will see what i mean.

Just to clarify, the rinse off is just a quick dunking or splash with hand full of water, just enough to remove solids or gunky spit, but no more. Your lens must also be very clean and have no scratches or finger prints prior to applying spit.

This technique is what the in/on water surf photograhers use, except they are in a better position to spit and dunk more regular. They have 24 megapixel cameras and they shoot thru the same thin film no problems, HD video is only 2 megapixel.

R

#13 Tue, 12/14/2010 - 6:35pm

The theory ...??? ... water won't stick to water !!!!

#14 Tue, 12/14/2010 - 6:42pm

@Rambo
i know the gopro has the fog strips but was wondering if you had some home remedy for the casing. thanks for the spit technique.
dolan bros! nice run!

#15 Tue, 12/14/2010 - 8:09pm

Us guys use Naupaka. Get plenty Kalama Beach and Lanikai. Go rub.

#16 Tue, 12/14/2010 - 10:27pm

Ha na Rambo,

Thanks for the pro-level explanation of what we all do on our goggles ... Makes perfect sense for the cameras too !

Now have to figure out if Gatorade or Coke spit is better : )

Koa, I remember you saying something off the beach like that and hoped you would put your answer back up as well.

aloha,
pog

#17 Wed, 12/15/2010 - 8:16am

you can see a few maliko runs on XM and Pueo at www.youtube.com/timlara no fancy editing or even music dropped in... just the raw video from GoPro.... there is also some V1 stuff of there from my recent trip to tahiti.. enjoy :)

#18 Wed, 12/15/2010 - 10:10pm

Yah Tim, that was sick! Too bad not a really big day, but still maliko none the less. Interesting comparing the differences (from the video) between the two boats.

#19 Fri, 12/17/2010 - 12:15pm

Tim's videos are really good, I like being able to see his technique

#20 Fri, 12/17/2010 - 12:51pm

Now for a similar video on a surfski, so the two different paddling styles or technique can be compared? And later, maybe another on a K-1 on the Ala Wai?

#21 Sun, 12/19/2010 - 4:44pm

Maliko vid. My head is still swollen.

#22 Mon, 12/20/2010 - 4:50am

If the boat in use had chines , that pesky water droplet would have been blown off the lens .

#23 Sun, 12/26/2010 - 11:48am

No chines on Maui.

#24 Sun, 12/26/2010 - 4:57pm

Playing around with a Christmas present. Fun South Wind off diamondhead.

#25 Sun, 12/26/2010 - 5:49pm

Nice!!!!

#26 Sun, 12/26/2010 - 7:18pm

I'm thinking Jimmy used the spit on the lens trick here, water spots are dispersing nicely.

#27 Sun, 12/26/2010 - 8:25pm

The slight bow down trim looks as if this is the adapted model with foot plate moved forward.

With my own, more aggressive modification, the boat drops in real easy; for optimal glide, you then have to slide back on the seat a little - too far forward seems to hinder bit.

#28 Sun, 12/26/2010 - 9:54pm

The fish eye lens does funny things to the perspective Ecky including making the runs look smaller, so the bow down may be just a result of that. Jimmy could tell you though.

#29 Sun, 12/26/2010 - 9:59pm

Yes the footwells are moved fwd 3 inches, but i don't move in my seat i just lean back when i need to. I notice that the boat gets to higher speed when dropping in and allows me to connect bumps a little easier. Still in the testing faze, need to make some small adjustments, but all in all very happy. And yes the bumps are much smaller on the vid than they were in person.

#30 Mon, 12/27/2010 - 8:55am

Oh and yes the spit technique works good thanks rambo.

#31 Mon, 12/27/2010 - 8:56am

Weight and weight distribution affect hull speed.

From some reading:

"A displacement hull runs well at even kiel."

"A planing hull may benefit from a weight shift forward until it planes, while a weight shift aft may help in the planing phase."

Moving forward has help quite a bit, also upwind - that would be displacement mode. To drop in, certainly on smaller waves, move a little forward; once the boat starts to glide, it helps to move back again - not sure that's planing already, but something alike.

#32 Mon, 12/27/2010 - 4:11pm

Lovin' the videos.

#33 Mon, 12/27/2010 - 5:58pm

Had a fishy encounter on a downwind paddle today off Mandurah. Scared the crap out out me!!!

Barts

#34 Tue, 12/28/2010 - 5:22am

Whoa Colin, chicken skin !

aloha,
pog

captcha word of the day:

Cructin bra

#35 Tue, 12/28/2010 - 9:52am

hmm, moved forward footwell, whats the distance between your heels and the bow? just to compare with other boats...

#36 Sat, 01/01/2011 - 5:38am

Makes sense. I'm always having to shift forward to pick up the bumps better. For the taller guys the seat position is shifted backwards which changes the weight distribution of the canoe. Why not set the seat position to be in the optimal spot for weight and balance on the canoe and then adjust the footwells or install adjustable pedals as they do in many surfskis?

#37 Sat, 01/01/2011 - 6:25am

Colin
We have a similar problem in the Mississippi and Missouri river basins. We have 30-40 lbs Asian Carp jumping out of the water at us. They frequently strike paddlers and knock them off their ski/OC or out of their kayak/canoe. It's a growing problem, but sort of comical when you see video of it.
I was racing in an ultra-marathon river race a few years back and witnessed a woman in her sea kayak get knocked in the head by a carp that was about 18 inches long jumping out of the water, nearly flipped her, but she stayed upright, but complained of a headache the rest of the race.
Wacky times on the water!

#38 Sat, 01/01/2011 - 9:37am

I think I've seen video footage of that Osprey, looks freaky! I had a similar incident about 20 years ago off Hamilton Island out paddling on an OC1 when the water around me all of a sudden erupted in a huge boil and I found my self in the middle of a tuna feeding frenzy and was quickly knocked off the canoe by a Mack Tuna hitting me in the chest. I was back on that canoe in a flash and out of there!

#39 Mon, 01/03/2011 - 6:57pm

Good surfing advice and video which I think translates well to paddling.

YES

#40 Tue, 01/04/2011 - 10:55am

Only difference is that they got an ama on the right side when needed. Perhaps for a fee (like a golf pro), we can get some paddling tips from an Olympic paddler or their coach? Both my kayak and canoe strokes have deteriorated badly and need tuning up. Maybe go for a spin on a double?

#41 Tue, 01/04/2011 - 12:18pm

I shot this of Oscar last year showing how to catch small runs, pretty much visually shows what is in the article jc posted above. What impresses me is how he controls the bow of the ski in the second half of the video and minimizes pitching which kills speed between troughs.

This is milking small bumps at it's best, Mr efficiency at work.

You can watch it in HD if you click on the menu bottom of player AFTER you press play.

#42 Tue, 01/04/2011 - 1:49pm

Rambo, this is such a great video of Chalupsky. This is one of those videos where the paddling/paddler and the music are just perfect together. I bet I have watched it full screen in the 720HD at least 20 times. Thanks!

#43 Fri, 01/07/2011 - 2:25pm

Yep, watch the bow closely, there are subtle tricks to see and learn from.

#44 Fri, 01/07/2011 - 2:39pm

watch this:
http://www.surfski.info/getting-started/tips-other/item/1254-downwind-with-oscar-chalupsky--video-.html
probably the best surfing advice you can get from Oscar!

#45 Sat, 01/08/2011 - 2:15am

if you scroll up a bit cossi you'll find that same link.

#46 Sat, 01/08/2011 - 7:17am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.445 seconds.