Pegasus seat question

I'm 190 lbs and paddle a Pegasus. I'm looking for a more comfortable seat than the stock seat that it came with. Or the best tool to widen the seat by trimming in sides and if there is a padded material that can be added over the existing seat after trimming. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Submitted by FB1 on Sun, 05/30/2010 - 6:26am

I bought a seat from Jude at Huki and shaped to my likeing and it works great on my Pegasus

#1 Sun, 05/30/2010 - 9:30am

I just customised the seat by rounding it out where it pinched my hips using an old heavy duty sanding belt. Just cut a length out of it and folded it in half then gently sanded out the hip area until it was a neat fit. If you have to take so much out of it that you will hit the side of the canoe with your bum you better build it up first. Use some cheap sleeping mat and stick it on with contact adhesive then sand it out.
Rambo has some good stuff on his blog for converting the seat.

#2 Sun, 05/30/2010 - 6:48pm

I have used a hacksaw blade bent in a curve, its ends screwed to a block of wood. worked really well on the gray foam seat of my Huki. pretty cheep, 2.

You'd almost think some seats are shaped only the minimal amount as a "helpful start" to the seat that you ultimately customize for your rump. My Huki had a flat shelf where I wanted my "sit" bones to go and the side walls were too close together, great for a skinny 12 year old, but no fit for me. Your okole, your seat--make them fit--you can, you can.

#3 Sun, 05/30/2010 - 8:16pm

Thanks for the help. The stock seat is definitely snug...

#4 Mon, 05/31/2010 - 6:06am

Has anyone made holes in their seat for your 'sit bones'? The seat on my Pegasus (Chinese) is flat & hard so rather than use Rambo's method of applying more layers of foam, I was wondering if it was possible to 'drill' a couple of holes in the existing seat in the appropriate positions?

#5 Mon, 05/31/2010 - 12:05pm

That's exactly what i did to the Peggie seat Hasto

Sit butt naked into a sandbox and measure the distance between the 2 deepest indents (if you don't like sand on your butt, wrap it in gladwrap first)

Then transpose the distance onto the seat, drill two 2" holes and scoop out the surrounding area to fit your butt.
Use 60grade sandpaper dragging in one direction only to remove the excess foam.

If you need the seat lower, cut a 1" slice off the bottom of the foam seat.

A comfy Butt is fast Butt

#6 Mon, 05/31/2010 - 3:28pm

Cheers Rambo. Exactly what I was looking for. How much of a difference did it make to the comfort & handling?

#7 Mon, 05/31/2010 - 3:33pm

I was wondering if it was possible to ‘drill’ a couple of holes in the existing seat in the appropriate positions?

I see several OC-1 paddlers that cut two 2 inch diameter (or whatever size) holes in their seats for their "sit bones". Guess you could cut them out with a door knob hole drill if you have one or you could just cut the end off a soda can (or other smaller diameter can) and use that to cut the hole in the seat foam.

#8 Mon, 05/31/2010 - 3:41pm

Did you say butt drilling?

#9 Mon, 05/31/2010 - 6:07pm

Cheers Rambo. Exactly what I was looking for. How much of a difference did it make to the comfort & handling?

You sit about 1 1/2 lower after both mods which you can feel in stability and hip control, but the biggest advantage is your ass no longer dictates how far you can paddle in one sitting (pardon the pun).

I've tried shorter paddles as you are now closer to the water, but i like the high top arm V1 style stroke now, so went back to same size paddle as before.

#10 Mon, 05/31/2010 - 6:20pm

Apologies in advance for the mind / gutter fodder the following generates.

Make a wood box and partially fill it with wetish sand, sit in it naked and fill it with more while packing it all around. Better to have someone do this so you can sit still ... Really pack it in ( there I said it : ) once its up to the height you want have the ASSistant help you up slowly. Clean out the little stuff that falls in and / or use a little more to fill in voids and to fair it in ... Ready to make a mold or just look @ it for reference as you carve your custom seat.

This box technique also works for full length cockpits.

aloha,
scratchy pog

#11 Mon, 05/31/2010 - 7:39pm

Hey pog, What about the inappropriately applied lipstick grid pattern transferred to a sheet of white paper technique .... much more fun and no sand rash......

#12 Mon, 05/31/2010 - 7:55pm

What is it with you guys and sitting starkers in a sand box? Even weirder that you wrap yourself in glad wrap!! I guess it takes all sorts...

#13 Mon, 05/31/2010 - 9:38pm

Ha na Rambo ..

No comment : )

aloha,
pog

#14 Tue, 06/01/2010 - 7:53am

My seat is identical to the one in Rambo's picture and yes I just used a hole saw for fitting door locks. Really helps to anchor you in the seat and NO PAIN.

Being an Inlander I refused to chock my #rse with sand, my very forgiving wife measured the distance between two fingers when I located those bum bones!!!!!!!!!!!

She had a peg on her nose, don't know what that was about...........

#15 Tue, 06/01/2010 - 11:33am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.200 seconds.