A post for people that find broken boats

A few weeks ago a boat washed ashore at Kailua beach after a hit by a whale.

As far as I heard, a coast guard notified the owner later; but when the owner arrived, the boat had already been taken away by someone else. This someone has meanwhile contacted a repair shop and has been advised to return the boat. I don't know if he did or not. My impression was that the boat has not been returned yet.
( If that is not correct, my apologies )

Today we saw another broken boat on top of a car. This boat had not survived the Oahu championship race start. It had to be abandoned, was washed ashore a day later, the police was informed and the owner got his parts back.
This is how it should be.

Paddling is so much fun because we are friends; we may not like each other, we may compete against each other, we
may find all sorts of things to say about each others technique - (this is meant to be humor) - but I still think that we are friends:

None of us would leave anybody out there in difficulties. None of us would take advantage of someone having had to abandon his boat.
In any case of problems, we would consider the well-being of each other first. This includes paddles left on the beach - it should be close to guaranteed that such paddles find the way back to their owners.

To everyone who ever finds a paddler's item - a boat, a hat, sunglasses, a paddle, etc., old, new, broken, torn apart, whatever, :

Please return it to the owner.

Submitted by eckhart diestel on Sun, 04/04/2010 - 10:43pm

Well said, Eckhart.

Not only is it part of the cultural values of our sport, but looking out for our fellow paddlers is in the self interest of everyone. Next time it could be your canoe that washes away or your paddle/iakos left behind.

#1 Tue, 04/06/2010 - 8:21am

Part of the problem may be that people think that anything that they find washed up on the beach is theirs. This is not true. I found an article titled Popular Salvage "Myths & Misconceptions" which states:

One of the most popular myths associated with salvage is that a derelict vessel found adrift or abandoned becomes the property of the finder.
Even when a vessel is "abandoned" and left without intention to return or hope of recovery, the vessel remains the property of her owner...

http://www.rms-republic.com/cgi-bin/jump/jump.cgi?www.safesea.com/salvag...

#2 Tue, 04/06/2010 - 10:41am

Amen brother!
This goes double if you find a paddle.

#3 Mon, 04/12/2010 - 12:41pm

i guess finders keepers loser weepers doesn't apply here then?

#4 Mon, 04/12/2010 - 1:58pm

well that solves my canoe storage problems...

#5 Mon, 04/12/2010 - 8:29pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.164 seconds.