Questions Paa race

Shouldn't this race end in Waikiki ?

How does this compare to a solo crossing - will it be more or will it be less difficult for the individual paddler ?

Will the open design speed up boats ?

What would be a good average speed in miles per hour for open design ?

Submitted by eckhart diestel on Fri, 05/21/2010 - 9:07pm

longer than solo and shorter than the present change over race , It must be a new "record"  because its a new course ! 
 I think it will be harder as paddlers will not get rest whilst on a run and also the angle will be worse than the solo. After a short time it will be slower than present OC6 speeds (maybe not even faster to La'u point)

Well done to all that finish Lats

#1 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 9:21pm

Angle? Maybe more better end at Sandy's?

#2 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 9:27pm

no ,that would be harder/slower/worse need to start "high" and finish "low ' . Unless there is a trick to Hawaii/tradewinds that i don't get (being in Australia) Lats

#3 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 9:54pm

@latman - good points, makes sense. Someone posted here recently that you need gorillas to take a 'high' route.

#4 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 10:56pm

No matter what, you'll always get sucked high. So why fight it? Use the water and go the way of the sine. Or Rabbit Island will be calling?
ps: it ain't Trade Winds, it's called current.

#5 Sat, 05/22/2010 - 9:26am

I understand current and tradewinds , but have never surfed currents, only the waves created by winds

#6 Sat, 05/22/2010 - 11:21pm

That's the problem, we get caught up in the surfing and neglect the runs.

Anyway, I only suggested Sandy's as a closer finish, but perhaps having a Molokai Canoe Race finishing on the Windward side (Waimanalo, Kailua, Kalama or under the Oneawa Bridge) would be super. Why should the "Townees" always get to enjoy having the finshline on their beach?

#7 Mon, 05/24/2010 - 12:16pm

Hi Koa , I dont know Oahu as well as you but i do know you can "surf on the spot" when swells(waves) are opposed by currents (tides) I do also know that surfable waves are created by wind and that tradewinds often blow over the islands .
The present Surf Ski, one man ,board race,SUP etc start up high on Molokai (closer to windward) and finish low (leeward ?) at Hawaii kai This course has the most liklihood of "surfing". The present OC6 (changes race)starts at Hale o lono (in lee) and ends at Waikiki (also in lee) which is a longer course (good) but is not as nice for "surfing"
Assuming paddlers and Organizers want a chance of "surfing" then races will always have to finish at Hawaii Kai or Waikiki where there are deep water Navigation channels for the craft to "come in" . Unless you want to finish at Outriggers clubhouse ! (forgetting about where canoes will sit after the race) I think if you were trying to finish at Sandy's it would be an ugly race and the change of carnage at the finish would be Very likely !
Who are "townees" by the way ?

#8 Mon, 05/24/2010 - 3:14pm

No matter what, you’ll always get sucked high. So why fight it? Use the water and go the way of the sine. Or Rabbit Island will be calling?
ps: it ain’t Trade Winds, it’s called current.
Koa CanoeSun, 05/23/2010 - 5:26am

I have been overtaken by canoes on the "South route" also by canoes on the "Northerly route" sometimes the tides(current) are heading your way at the end , sometimes not! I have never been to Rabbit Island and I don't even know where it is ! I do know there are plenty of ways to skin a cat (old saying I once heard ! )

#9 Mon, 05/24/2010 - 3:22pm

Lat's,
Really, it's a crap shoot out there. You don't have the luxury to experiment, so you cover your competition, whether high or low. Deano was on a great line and doing good (making good time), Robbo, in the lead, went high, Deano covered, but lacked the power to maintain, so lost him, and the rest is history. Perhaps if Deano maintained his line and didn't cover, the outcome would have been different?

Anyway, if you go high at the outset, you might as well continue on to Rabbit Isl., for once you past Makapuu, it is all downwind and trades (even current). So a Molokai canoe race ending in Waimanalo or Kailua would be different and not more of the same old tired route?

"Townees" are rival paddlers who reside on the Honolulu side of Oahu.

#10 Mon, 05/24/2010 - 8:14pm

Do you regard Hawaii Kai residents as Townees ? Or just Honolulu residents ? Whilst i'm sure there are other race courses that can be done, the Kaiwi channel crossing is the one most well to known to" non hawaiians" like myself.

#11 Mon, 05/24/2010 - 11:34pm

Yes, they are "Townees." You still cross the Kaiwi, but you finish on the Windward Side. Just thinking: new canoe, so new finishline. Probably won't happen, unless the Chamber of Commerce or a group of businesses band together and sponsor the race. After all, there is a huge paddler population on the Windward Side. Kailua probably got more paddlers per sq. mile than any other town (including Honolulu or Hawaii Kai)?

#12 Tue, 05/25/2010 - 12:42am

I guess paddlers want downwind paddling, as well as the organizers want a finish line "sponsor". So it will always finish at Hawaii Kai or Waikiki depending on the distance required .
In Australia most people live in Cities(of differing sizes) already (or the suburbs of those cities) and the only equivalent i can think of is "westies" ie not near the coast (east coast here) or Brizzoes (brisbane not that close to the Ocean) ha ha

#13 Tue, 05/25/2010 - 1:54am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.169 seconds.