Race Around the Hat

Just a reminder--- the last HVA race of the season, the Race Around the Hat, is coming up on Saturday at Kualoa Beach Park.

There will literally be tons of paddles, jerseys, paddle bags, canoes, and other prizes from all of our sponsors:
Maoli Wa'a
Tiger Canoe
Broad Reach Hawai'i
Tahitian Outrigger
Kialoa
Broadreach Hawai'i
Makana Ali'i
Island Paddler
Planet Sun
Hammer Gel
Pa'a
Ocean Paddler TV
'Oiwi Ocean Gear
Makai Magazine
Keahiakahoe Canoe Club
Vanilla Gorilla
Kole Gear
Vim
Kaholo Screen Printing
Kamanu Composites

If you're under 18 the race is free. All you need to do is show up and you're guaranteed to go home with something.

No experience or canoe is necessary to race. There will be a clinic and time to practice on the canoes before the race.

An Aukahi V-1 will be raffled off at the race. Every entrant gets an automatic raffle ticket, and tickets are for sale for $5. All proceeds from the raffle and from race entries go towards sending a crew of six youth paddlers to the Hawaiki Nui in November.

There will be food, music, and racing all day.

Check out Hawaiivaa.org for more details.

Submitted by luke on Thu, 09/09/2010 - 8:07pm

Luke is right, there is a ton of stuff for us to give away. Come check out Hawai'i's premier rudderless race.

We've had some questions about the event date. The race is Saturday September 11th, 2010. Registration links are below. See you guys there!

Click the following links for

Juniors

OR

Adults

#1 Fri, 09/10/2010 - 1:18pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mokolii

#2 Fri, 09/10/2010 - 2:11pm

Hah, thanks Novice B... if you look at the language thread that took place a little while back we were talking about changing the name. In last year's race we also referred to the island as Mokoli'i. If you check the HVA web site we had also posted the proper name on the FLYER for the last two years. But it would seem Race Around the Hat has stuck for at least this year. To expensive to reprint 90 race shirts...

#3 Fri, 09/10/2010 - 11:26pm

I don't think that anyone doubts that Hawaiian names and places should be used and respected as often as possible. The name of the island, Mokoli'i, probably could have been used more often in our race publications. But, the name of this race, along with the names of all of the other HVA races are intended to imply "funnness." The HVA races are supposed to be fun, so we wanted the names to be the same.

I didn't come up with any of the names, but I thought that they were clever:
Sand Island Short Circuit
Wild West Shootout
Kailua Bay Blitz
Race Around the Hat

#4 Fri, 09/10/2010 - 10:24pm

Mahalo to:

Maoli Wa'a
Tiger Canoe
Broad Reach Hawai'i
Tahitian Outrigger
Kialoa
Broadreach Hawai'i
Makana Ali'i
Island Paddler
Planet Sun
Hammer Gel
Pa'a
Ocean Paddler TV
'Oiwi Ocean Gear
Makai Magazine
Keahiakahoe Canoe Club
Vanilla Gorilla
Kole Gear
Vim
Kaholo Screen Printing
Kamanu Composites

Thank you again to our sponsors and the 80+ paddlers who came out and made the Race Around the Hat a great event! We were very excited to have paddlers from Tahiti, Japan, New Zealand, and across Hawai'i. Every year the race gets bigger and better! Results and a race recap will be posted shortly as soon as our official time keeper is able to upload the times..

#5 Sat, 09/11/2010 - 7:54pm

photos?

#6 Tue, 09/14/2010 - 10:05am

alex wants to see who won the novice division...

#7 Tue, 09/14/2010 - 5:45pm

a handful of sandbaggers swept the novice

#8 Tue, 09/14/2010 - 9:28pm

hey, we were legit novices :)

#9 Tue, 09/14/2010 - 10:07pm

It would appear we are going to have to eliminate the Novice division for next year's race. So far we are two for two with non-novice paddlers jumping into the Novice division.

#10 Wed, 09/15/2010 - 7:35am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.206 seconds.