rhomboid spasm

Hi all

I am of late getting debilitating rhomboid spasm after training especially in the sea. The problem is not so pronounced after a lake seesion due to the water being less dense and the conditions flatter (I think). I am training for the world surflifesaving champs in Egypt in October so its not good news. I am 54, technique OK, and train most days a week with a couple of heavy interval sessions each week. The problem seems to kick in on the catch and excelleration phase. I have a feeling that the blade I am using is too large and putting serious strain on my upper back when rotating. Certainly my training partners turnover rates ( cadence ) are faster than mine. I just cant seem to get the rate up although our speeds are similar although thier excelleration is more explosive. Anybody got any suggestions or ideas out there Thanks in anticipation and if anyone has one of those US canoe/Kayak shoulder exercise flyers I would love one - email buck@bobplanet.com

Submitted by pbuck on Mon, 08/30/2010 - 6:31am

Wow, you open up a pandora's box of potential issues with your question, all of which I have dealt with. You didn't mention what type of water craft you are paddling, however, I'm going to assume that it's some sort of 1-man boat. In spite of what Lanikai and the Tahitians currently use for paddles in 6-man canoes, you might want to check out the paddles of marathon canoe racers. Their paddle blades run 8" - 8.5" at the widest part, and their stroke rates are generally quite high. They find no need for a large "anchor," especially with the lighter craft that they paddle.

I dealt with rhomboid/trapezius spasm for years. I used chiro adjustments, massage, electro stim, heat and traction to alleviate the spasms. I finally had it diagnosed recently as degenerative disc disease at C5-7, with some nerve impingement. It was the final straw that ended my paddling days as I was told that if I continued I would require surgery; that is not an option that I would consider. Not saying that this is your condition, but be aware that there are many sources and reasons for this type of discomfort and you will need to be appropriately vigilant.

Good luck. I hope that it's as easy as using a smaller paddle blade.

#1 Mon, 08/30/2010 - 7:28am

Thanks for that Jerryguy - I paddle a surf ski by the way, hopefully dropping down a size will do the trick but I suppose It will be one of those suck it and see experiments

#2 Mon, 08/30/2010 - 8:14am

pbuck,

What kind / size wing are you using ?

aloha,
pog

#3 Mon, 08/30/2010 - 1:21pm

pbuck,
I think all us paddlers have had rhomboid spasms. In my case it got really bad for a while...

Here are some of the steps that have helped me..

1.) Stretching is key.... I first started stretching more and more... Before and especially after is key... This link Below describes some of the exercises. http://www.thedacare.org/crs/sma/sma_rhomboid_rex.htm

2.) Massage... Specifically trigger point therapy helped the best... Intially I went to therapist but she introduced me to self massage. Now I use a roller and the trigger point therapy to get into the Rhomboid and trap muscles to release the tension. http://triggerpointbook.com/

3.) Yoga... It took a while for me to embrace yoga but it has helped the best overall... Flexibility has helped these muscle to release and helped the overall preventive maintenance from the abuse of paddling.

There are some other factors to minimize the spams... First hydration (drink water with a Emergen-C) the minerals help the muscles.

Best of luck and hoping for the best..
~L

#4 Mon, 08/30/2010 - 2:28pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.164 seconds.