rigging on the hard

Hi all
I was wondering if any one had any advice or a routine for rigging an oc1 on a gravel beach with out
scratching up the gel coat or dinging the rudder. I see Huki has some very expensive foam blocks with straps for such tasks. Not all launch sites are beach sand or grass lawns... Thanks.

Submitted by Waterwitch on Tue, 03/16/2010 - 5:02pm

Easy! Just cover the beach w/ marshmallows before you paddle. They're biodegradable and yummy!

#1 Tue, 03/16/2010 - 5:24pm

My favorite el cheapo that works ...

Two, under inflated 2 liter pop bottles.

Fold up your towels ?

LOL Jim.
aloha,
pog

#2 Tue, 03/16/2010 - 5:32pm

you could make some fold up PVC holders, that always works. it only cost about 10 dollars to make and save you a whole lot on scratches

#3 Tue, 03/16/2010 - 8:48pm

if you have a removable seat, put that under the hull. If you have a waterbag, put that under the ama. Towels work. The Huki foam pads sound good. If you paddle on the mainland and carry a PFD, use that as well.

#4 Tue, 03/16/2010 - 9:14pm

J

very in-elegant but old car tyres also work, though you often need someone to hold the waka up as they [the waka not the someones] have a habit of wanting to role onto their sides.

How about a couple of pieces of planking (perhaps 2 to 3 ft long) to be laid perpendicular to the waka, and add a couple of chocks at the point of the width of the hull to stop it rolling. Some foam over the top if you want for some padding and you're done.

#5 Tue, 03/16/2010 - 9:24pm

Use your slippahs/flip-flops and your paddling shirt to rig on.

If you can find some old carpet strips or welcome mats, take those with you to your launch site to rig your OC1. I doubt they'll come up missing while you're out paddling and should be there when you get back.

#6 Tue, 03/16/2010 - 10:48pm

Kelp?

#7 Wed, 03/17/2010 - 1:26am

If you drive a truck, keep a square of high density poly sheeting (comes in black plastic rolls) in the bed and pull it out when you need ground cover. It will help to keep your truck bed from getting scratched up as well. Bonus!

#8 Wed, 03/17/2010 - 8:06am

Thanks for the ideas. These are not the easiest boats to rig and launch or tie up at the dock. With out a bow or stern painter seems like you have to find a soft place to put them upside down once you go ashore too.

#9 Wed, 03/17/2010 - 11:14am

surfski ..... :)

#10 Wed, 03/17/2010 - 11:52am

Eckhart: you still got the paddle to carry around. More better a stock paddleboard kept out of the wind. Pure and simple. Garrens you'll develop a strong back and learn to read the water better.

#11 Wed, 03/17/2010 - 1:06pm

Considering I am coming from a rudderlesss touring kayak and wanted a higher performance watercraft, it
is interesting a paddle board is reccomended for reading the water. You mean lay down paddleboard
as opposed to a SUP?

#12 Wed, 03/17/2010 - 2:04pm

Yes, the 12 ft. stock kneel or lay on your stomach paddleboard. No paddle needed. Just reach out, stick your bare hand and arm in the water and accelerate back. Now you got the "feel" and probably wondering why you always maintain the same line when paddling ski or canoe instead of going with the water? The wax on top the board protects it from scratches. Marine urethane paint coats the bottom, so when scratches pile up, just sand lightly and touch up with fast dry urethane paint. No worries - go with the run.........................
ps: add a chin rest and you no can get any closer to the water than that, unless you like swim?

#13 Thu, 03/18/2010 - 12:16am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.299 seconds.